Do you have concerns with your son(s) playing football?

Am I concerned that he will get hurt? Of course. I always want what is best for my child. I never want to see any of my children in any pain, or have anything go wrong for them.

But I would be more concerned if my son didn't play any football than if he did play. Life is full of risks taken. I could ensure that my child was never injured only by keeping them locked in a cell with constant supervision. That would make me a horrible parent, so being a good parent is not about just avoiding risks. It is also about making sure they have meaningful experiences that help them grow into a complete adult. From my own experience, I know that football is one of those things that can be very meaningful, even dealing with football injuries.

Side note: I have known parents that wouldn't let their children play football or wrestle because they were worried about injuries. It would be one thing if they didn't have insurance, but they did. They just didn't want to expose their children to the risks associated with those sports. And yet, those kids had cars. The risk of death/injury in a car is exponentially higher than the risk of death/injury in football. If you are concerned with letting children play contact sports, then letting them drive is ridiculous.

Every parent needs to decide these things for themselves. But please, please, don't conflate the types of "injuries" kids can get playing other sport or just horsing around (broken leg, torn ACL, muscle tear, etc.) with the types of long-term brain damage that prompted this thread. We aren't talking about "getting hurt." We're talking about former NFL players getting dementia in their 40s and 50s-- plus who knows how many lesser known high school and college players dealing with similar issues. This article captures the problem: these guys seem fine during their playing careers, and even for 10/20 years after. And then their brains basically shut down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/s..._campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+(NYT+>+Sports)

My husband has always said that he would not let his son play football because of the severe injury possibility. His dad wouldn't let him play, because he had suffered a broken arm when he played.

My son will be 10 this July. Last year he expressed some interest in playing football. My husband explained there would be lots of contact and tackling. (not sure if they do that at his age) and he decided not to play. However, he really likes to watch football, and by the end of the season, he was saying he changed his mind and wanted to try it. So..this year we may sign him up to let him try it. He likes sports. After 3 girls that didn't want to do anything with sports, it's been nice to have him do some. He started out with soccer for a few years. Now has also done baseball for the last three. He's also interested in basketball. His soccer coach told us that soccer actually has more injuries than football. Don't know if that's true or not.

He's kind of cautious about things so he really may not be the football type anyway...we'll see.

After reading everything today, and after spending a couple hours at the dentist with him to fix a broken front tooth, emergently, I may need to rethink!

Every parent needs to decide these things for themselves. But please, please, don't conflate the types of "injuries" kids can get playing other sport or just horsing around (broken leg, torn ACL, muscle tear, etc.) with the types of long-term brain damage that prompted this thread. We aren't talking about "getting hurt." We're talking about former NFL players getting dementia in their 40s and 50s-- plus who knows how many lesser known high school and college players dealing with similar issues. This article captures the problem: these guys seem fine during their playing careers, and even for 10/20 years after. And then their brains basically shut down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/s..._campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+(NYT+>+Sports)

agree 100%. this isn't a question of injuries, its a question of not having a life 20+ years down the road.

Stuff like that makes me question if I should even be a fan of the game.

MNfreak

you've got to let him try it at least. my concern would be if my son played and sustained multiple concussions over the years. one broken arm isn't a bad thing. injuries build character. again, my only concern would be that i'd have to put my son in the ground before me, no parent wants that.

My husband has always said that he would not let his son play football because of the severe injury possibility. His dad wouldn't let him play, because he had suffered a broken arm when he played.

My son will be 10 this July. Last year he expressed some interest in playing football. My husband explained there would be lots of contact and tackling. (not sure if they do that at his age) and he decided not to play. However, he really likes to watch football, and by the end of the season, he was saying he changed his mind and wanted to try it. So..this year we may sign him up to let him try it. He likes sports. After 3 girls that didn't want to do anything with sports, it's been nice to have him do some. He started out with soccer for a few years. Now has also done baseball for the last three. He's also interested in basketball. His soccer coach told us that soccer actually has more injuries than football. Don't know if that's true or not.

He's kind of cautious about things so he really may not be the football type anyway...we'll see.

After reading everything today, and after spending a couple hours at the dentist with him to fix a broken front tooth, emergently, I may need to rethink!

yes, there is lots of contact. My nine year old just finished(sunday) his first tackle season. He loved it. As for danger, one kid had to be instructed a few times on proper technique. His dad was part of the issue but the league took care of it but continuing to properly instruct the kid. The dad was a dick.

He said:

I got that point loud and clear, and his idea of being a parent being the one and only. I am continually amazed at how I am supposed to take that any differently.

Also, I don't think my dad concerned himself with me getting hurt. He just liked watching me play.
Here is why I think you are dense, hawkeye11en1. You just posted for a second time about what the guy said and you didn't look at the entirety of what he said. You took the part you wanted to whine about and that was it.

The comment in question said this,"I have 2 sons ages 12 and 7 and I absolutely have concerns about them playing football. If you're a parent and say that you don't have concerns then you're either lying or don't give a crap about your boy(s)."

He absolutely did not say your dad didn't give a crap about you. What he said was that if a dad didn't have concerns then he is either lying or he didn't give a crap. A parent could have concerns and not voice them, for their own reasons, and still let a son play football. Having concerns does not equate to not letting one participate. Your parents probably had concerns about all kinds of things you did and they let you do them anyway. Just like they let you play football.

So I guess that is how someone would take that post if they could interpret it properly based upon what was actually said. Maybe you don't have the proper comprehension skills for that. I don't know why else you would be so blind to what was actually said, especially after I did everything but spell it out in the previous response I had.

Last edited:
Here is why I think you are dense, hawkeye11en1. You just posted for a second time about what the guy said and you didn't look at the entirety of what he said. You took the part you wanted to whine about and that was it.

The comment in question said this,"I have 2 sons ages 12 and 7 and I absolutely have concerns about them playing football. If you're a parent and say that you don't have concerns then you're either lying or don't give a crap about your boy(s)."

He absolutely did not say your dad didn't give a crap about you. What he said was that if a dad didn't have concerns then he is either lying or he didn't give a crap. A parent could have concerns and not voice them, for their own reasons, and still let a son play football. Having concerns does not equate to not letting one participate. Your parents probably had concerns about all kinds of things you did and they let you do them anyway. Just like they let you play football.

So I guess that is how someone would take that post if they could interpret it properly based upon what was actually said. Maybe you don't have the proper comprehension skills for that. I don't know why else you would be so blind to what was actually said, especially after I did everything but spell it out in the previous response I had.

Oh, Thawki, you can't understand my post of trolling you but you can certainly understand his. Yeah, I'm the one without the proper comprehension skills.

My father never showed any concern for my health before, during or after football. He wasn't concerned at all. Whether you want to tell me he was or not. Got it? Can you read that? Comprehend it? Ok, good. Now, he said that he was A) lying or B) didn't care about me. Both of which I know are false. So yes, I am rebutting his statement.

He let me play AND didn't have concerns. What do ya know? But don't worry, my mom had enough concerns for the both of them. So you don't have to worry about my parents not loving me anymore.

My father never showed any concern for my health before, during or after football. He wasn't concerned at all. Whether you want to tell me he was or not. Got it? Can you read that? Comprehend it? Ok, good. Now, he said that he was A) lying or B) didn't care about me. Both of which I know are false.

More likely, he didn't express his concerns to you. My dad was that way, like a lot of dads back in the day.

If he really, truly "wasn't concerned at all" then he's either an idiot or a dick.

More likely, he didn't express his concerns to you. My dad was that way, like a lot of dads back in the day.

If he really, truly "wasn't concerned at all" then he's either an idiot or a dick.

Why does he have to worry about whether or not I got hurt? I don't think that ever ran through his mind. Wasn't like you think someone is going to die when you play football. I know it has happened, but it's very uncommon. And he didn't need to be concerned, I didn't get hurt (other than common minor stuff).

I guess at this point I am only baffled as to why someone would bother to respond to the comment and open up such a topic on a Hawkeye sports forum. The comment in question was meant to illicit a debate completely opposite from your response and certainly wasn't directed to you in any way, shape or form.

But to each his own.

I guess at this point I am only baffled as to why someone would bother to respond to the comment and open up such a topic on a Hawkeye sports forum. The comment in question was meant to illicit a debate completely opposite from your response and certainly wasn't directed to you in any way, shape or form.

But to each his own.

I believe the title is "Do you have concerns....blah blah blah".

Is that not what I was debating? He made a statement, I debated it. I'm not sure what else to do on a message board. Should we interweb high five? I guess I'm confused on what you want me to be arguing. Or should I just agree with everything you say because you are the almighty?

No... and to quote Theodore Roosevelt:
" It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

IMO, I would take the risk of injuries even dementia at age 40, 50 than to be scared of living. Whether its football, basketball, golf, band, chess whatever... Better find out what it is that you love to do and do it. IMO, it is not longevity that is important but what you do in the years you have. Again IMO, my job as a parent is helping my kids find the sports or activities they love and supporting their decision making process and not making their decisions for them. I also understand not everyone shares this opinion, I get it.

P.S. If the NFL was blocking information pertaining to head injuries from the players, I hope all those involved in blocking the information receive the same penalties as those involved in the Saints' bounty program. The NFL should and will pay big $$$ if true.

I believe the title is "Do you have concerns....blah blah blah".

Is that not what I was debating? He made a statement, I debated it. I'm not sure what else to do on a message board. Should we interweb high five? I guess I'm confused on what you want me to be arguing. Or should I just agree with everything you say because you are the almighty?

You definitely win the ultimate troll award, that's for sure.

Interesting question/topic, Jon.

I actually did a research paper that touched base on this issue a little. However, the paper was looking at the bigger picture and the sports world/culture/society as a whole so I never really thought about this question in particular.

I remember a thread a while back that had a similar topic of discussion and I remember doing some researching on the matter and found that children end up in the emergency room from bicycling accidents more often than they do from football related injuries. In fact, the numbers were not even close--if I am remembering correctly.

Football was not #2 on the list either. I believe it was somewhere around #4 or #5.

Obviously, the statistics might not be as telling as they might appear at first glance, but they are relevant to the matter at hand. A few points/questions I took away from it:

1. What injuries occur in football that would lead you to take your child to the emergency room? I'm assuming it would be mainly for broken bones and I don't know how often that occurs in youth football. Most times, concussions are not something parents take their kid's to the emergency room for--most people are unaware of the dangers of concussions and fail to recognize the symptoms unless the kid is really struggling or if the kid begins to complain about it.

2. Bike accidents are usually pretty nasty. Most of the injuries that occur are deep cuts, requiring stitches, and broken bones. Of course, these are things that usually require immediate medical attention. Not to mention, concussions can also occur in a bike accident.

So while some parents are very concerned about their child playing football (or other sports for that matter)... How many parents get worried whenever their child goes outside to ride his bike with a friend in the driveway? Do the potential dangers cross their mind for more than a second? Did they have a long, thoughtful discussion when their kid said "I want a bike" ? Was there even a second thought when buying the bike?

My point is:
There are so many things that pose potential dangerous or risk of injury that people don't normally think about. In the winter, do you tell your kid, "Hey, you can't go sledding, you could possibly get hurt." or "hey, you can't go swimming, because you could drown." How many people have sticky mats in their shower? A kid can easily slip, fall, and hit their head in the shower. Do you allow your kids to go to their friend's house if they have a dog? The dog could attack your child. The friend might have a trampoline--which I'm fairly sends more kids to the ER than football--but do you tell your kid they can't go over to play with them?

The list goes on and on. I am not a parent, but I am an extremely cautious worry-wort. I pretty much think of any bad thing that could happen whenever I do anything or go somewhere--I consider every possible danger. (Btw, I have no idea how I will stay sane once I become a dad.)

The thing is, if you look, there are risks in just about anything you or your child does every day, but you can't live life in fear because of the freak accidents or what happened to some kid that your friend's co-worker's sister babysat when she was younger. You just have to use your best judgement and allow your kid to be a kid (within reason).

Of course, this is just my opinion. Who knows what I will be saying when I have my own kid--Although I am hoping he/she will be interested in playing the game of soccer more... Hopefully interest in football or any extreme sports like snowboarding won't be much of an issue. ;)

The other thing that this thread reminded me of is when I tried playing football when I was younger...

It was AT LEAST 10 years ago, but I was told I should play football--so my parents signed me up--I believe it was the last year of flag football for my age.

I went through the tryouts (which I believe were evaluated by some of the high school coaches). I was put on a team and it was decided that I should be the team's runningback. I was ecstatic; I loved football and I loved playing RB. However, my happiness lasted only a few weeks (before I ever played a game).

The coach ruined it for me. He was the father of one of the players. His son was also a running back and was the main running back for his team in the past years. I constantly outperformed him in practice--in every drill. It was obvious to everyone that I was better and it ****ed him off. He would randomly grab me by my facemask, yank me around, and jerk my head--He never simply asked me to do something or told me where to go/stand... he always had to pull me by my facemask to my spot. My parents were not particularly fond of how he treated me and a few of the other players, but they didn't complain and I didn't complain--that's just how I was raised.

About 3 weeks into practice my grandpa passed away from cancer and my family was going to go down to Iowa to stay with my grandma. When I told my coach that I would miss the next practice and told him why... He said, and I will never forget this:

"There are no excuses. If you miss the next practice then you can't play runningback for this team. It is your decision, you either come to the next practice or you lose your spot."

Needless to say, I went to Iowa with my family--I did not have a choice and even if I did... my grandpa passed away... it isn't a hard decision.

I think this is just gives a glimpse into the bigger issue. The culture of sports is getting out of hand--becoming less about fun... and more of a job. Why should a 9yr old kid have to choose between: seeing his grandma after the death of his grandpa and doing something he enjoys? Why is that pressure supposed to be put on him? How can anyone expect a child to make that decision? Why can't two kids split time at the running back position? Why is flag football being taken so seriously and with such competitiveness even amongst friends/teammates? Is it necessary to jerk kids around by their facemasks and yell at them at that age? At that level? I realize this could be an unusual experience compared to many other kids... but my point remains the same...

If you want to play D1 football someday... that decision usually needs to be made by time you are able to walk... and your preparation begins by the time you are old enough to hold a football. Kids are being recruited/scouted at increasingly younger ages now. There is no time for fun or time to try out a bunch of other sports if you plan on playing D1 ball.

That is how the culture of sports is changing. Kids are bigger, stronger, and faster... and I think that directly correlates with the increasing danger and concern. Kids are hitting harder... and the kids that get hit and have concussions? They usually feel like they don't have a choice to come out of the game or tell their coach their hurt. "Play through it!" "toughen up!" Isn't that what they are told to do? Do coaches even say the words: "are you ok?" anymore?

There is so much pressure on them to play (and play well), that safety becomes an afterthought. Which is why so many people have concussions that go unattended to... and the thing about that is: once you have a concussion and don't properly recover from it... you are more likely to get another one... and it will likely be more severe. After the concussions start to pile up the damage becomes permanent and the outcome becomes increasingly bad. That is when you see these awful things happen to such young people.

There needs to be more awareness. As a soccer coach, I am required to take a concussion safety course and must turn in the certificate in order for me to coach. This should be required by all coaches of all sports--it needs to be taken seriously.

The other thing that needs to change is the culture of sports. Kids should not have to feel any pressure when they play sports at these young ages.

Obviously, high school is a different story. It is competitive and pressure goes along with it. But in some areas, kids are being trained/"bred" to be football players at such young ages. Some kids aren't given the choice or opportunity to play other sports they are interested in or would like. The decision is made for them. They are set on a track, a schedule, that is preparing them for the day they enter high school and play on the school team. Some coaches and communities go to such extreme lengths to make sure their local high school football team will be good and will win state, etc.

I can't help but think we are headed into an age where "fun" is no longer the concern or the reason for playing sports. An age where the life lessons are lost and the only thing that matters is winning on Friday night.

It is becoming something you HAVE to do, not something you WANT to do--It is becoming a job, not a sport.

EDIT: Sorry for such a long post... I got a little carried away while I was taking a break from studying for finals.

If you see this and say: tl;dr -- I don't blame ya.

Last edited:
CGHAWK I dont think your looking at the big picture. Maybe you explained yourself in that 5 page paper of a post you made, and I didnt bother to read past the 1st page ha ha. Its not the injury that lands you in the ED thats the problem. The problem is the years and years of hit after hit that your head takes thats the problem. Its the brain injury that you dont ever see until later in life thats the problem.

Im going to allow my sons to play football if they wish. I will not allow them to play any before 7th-8th grade however. I hope they play 5-6 years and have fun and go on to college for something other than football...

I think maybe you're the one conflating things a bit. I read the context of the thread topic as being a parent having a son that wants to play football. Probably a direct spin off of the comments made recently by Kurt Warner in the media.

I think the conversation of what can happen to the less than 6% of high school athletes that make it to college and then the less than 3% of those that make it to the NFL is a completely different discussion on a few levels.

My son played last year going into 4th grade(9) and will this year going into 5th. Sure I'm concerned but like some have said I'm concerned about everything he does. I am less concerned after watching games and practices for a full season though(until I read this thread...THANKS JON).:) I personally think it is too early also but when all of his friends are doing it and he likes it what are you gonna do. Also, it isn't like injuries can't occur in flag and your head isn't protected in flag.

Exactly. I have many doctor friends who have said tackle in 4th grade is safer than flag due to the pads they wear and being exposed in flag.

A lot of talk about this in the sports talk world.

If you have sons that are getting close to football playing age or presently play, do you have concerns for their long term health?

I have two daughters, so won't have to seriously consider this one until perhaps when I am a grandpa.

I still think HS football can be a great life teacher. But even the high school game is getting bigger, stronger and faster as the years go by.

Again, Jon didn't start a conversation about trips to the emergency room, broken fingers, or torn pecs. We're talking about the sort of long-term problems that have been revealing themselves lately-- in player suicides (Seau, Dave Henderson)-- that at least suggest there is a link between frequent hits to the head and significant loss of brain function.

MNfreak

you've got to let him try it at least. my concern would be if my son played and sustained multiple concussions over the years. one broken arm isn't a bad thing. injuries build character. again, my only concern would be that i'd have to put my son in the ground before me, no parent wants that.

You know what? I just realized the games are played on Saturdays in the fall!:eek: Hmmm....kids football or Hawkeye football in Iowa City!

Latest posts