Do you have concerns with your son(s) playing football?

He said:

I got that point loud and clear, and his idea of being a parent being the one and only. I am continually amazed at how I am supposed to take that any differently.

Also, I don't think my dad concerned himself with me getting hurt. He just liked watching me play.

You must not have kids because if you did you would know that he most certainly did.

You must not have kids because if you did you would know that he most certainly did.

If I got hurt he was worried, but I have very little evidence that he cared if I go out let alone worry from game to game if I would get hurt.

Even with the great improvements made, this country still sees over 30,000 people killed in car accidents every year, and many more injured.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many of you attempt to reduce the number of car trips you expose your children to?

I have two girls, so I probably won't need to struggle with the decision to allow them to play football. But I do think some of the dangers are exaggerated. Cheer-leading has HUGE injury rates.

Even with the great improvements made, this country still sees over 30,000 people killed in car accidents every year, and many more injured.

How many of you attempt to reduce the number of car trips you expose your children to?

I have two girls, so I probably won't need to struggle with the decision to allow them to play football. But I do think some of the dangers are exaggerated. Cheer-leading has HUGE injury rates.

Yeah, give up the car in favor of playing football. Less risk in playing football than riding in a car.

I would analogize car accidents to injuries in other sports. There is a specific trauma that is noticeable right away and is easily identifiable. The frightening thing about football is that the head injuries are more like smoking (hyperbole, but bear with me here). 98% of the time, the damage isn't particularly noticeable, but it builds and builds over time and if a person smokes long enough, it is likely to lead to premature death. There are certainly some parallels to football there.

This could be 1 of the worst argument I have ever heard

This could be 1 of the worst argument I have ever heard

30,000 is such a low percentage when compared to how many drivers there are. It's very, very minuscule. I don't have any idea how many football players get head injuries compared to how many there are but my quick assumption is there are more.

That said the act of driving doesn't involve voluntarily putting your body into a high impact situation like football does. The two just aren't comparable.

I would be most concerned about the potential long term effects of the sport. A person could play 6 years of tackle football without any major incidents and still have major neuro complications down the road. That's scary.

And maybe I'm way off but I really don't get the mindset of "I'll let my kid decide in their own if they want to do something stupid." You can't dictate your kids' every decision in life obviously but that doesn't absolve you from responsibly discussing the potential impacts and consequences of their behaviors and insuring they are making intelligent and informed decisions. And in some cases, as the parent you are able and should be willing to veto your child's decision.

I played football when I was a 13 year old 8th grader. I was always a year behind my class (I was that smart people), so I was teh youngest and smallest player on teh team (84lbs at my physical). I didn't get hurt because I never played. I couldn't fathom why my parents let me go out there like that.

Eventually I took up hockey, where you were arranged by age, not grade, and all of a sudden I was teh biggest kid in teh league. It had never happened to me before. I quickly became a goon.

I played football when I was a 13 year old 8th grader. I was always a year behind my class (I was that smart people), so I was teh youngest and smallest player on teh team (84lbs at my physical). I didn't get hurt because I never played. I couldn't fathom why my parents let me go out there like that.

Eventually I took up hockey, where you were arranged by age, not grade, and all of a sudden I was teh biggest kid in teh league. It had never happened to me before. I quickly became a goon.
This was my plan for football as well (being youngest and smallest of my grade in 7th and 8th). It worked in 7th grade. I was again on the 3rd string in 8th grade. Unfortunately, the 2 guys ahead of me got hurt, and I had to play (last 3 games of 5 game schedule!). I retired after the season. :)

This was my plan for football as well (being youngest and smallest of my grade in 7th and 8th). It worked in 7th grade. I was again on the 3rd string in 8th grade. Unfortunately, the 2 guys ahead of me got hurt, and I had to play (last 3 games of 5 game schedule!). I retired after the season. :)

When it comes to my son playing football, however, I don't know. My wife comes from a family of behemoths. Her brother is 6'5" 300+. She has several male cousins over 6'5", all of whom look like they would be football players if they were not imbeciles who barely got through high school and now work on cars.

If my son starts sizing up more like teh BOL instead of me, I might encourage FB, and try to get a decent scholly at a small school. That is, of course, if teh wife doesn't insist he turn into a violin virtuoso instead.

30,000 is such a low percentage when compared to how many drivers there are. It's very, very minuscule. I don't have any idea how many football players get head injuries compared to how many there are but my quick assumption is there are more.

That said the act of driving doesn't involve voluntarily putting your body into a high impact situation like football does. The two just aren't comparable.

haha, the way a lot of people drive you are certainly putting yourself in a high impact situation when driving.

So people drive like a 3 yr old would.

haha, the way a lot of people drive you are certainly putting yourself in a high impact situation when driving.

So people drive like a 3 yr old would.

I kind of knew that joke was coming but regardless, good point.

Thawki, he knows exactly what was ment. This is what he likes to do in this board, it makes him feel good, or something.

Latest posts