Do you approve of the job Kirk Ferentz is doing?

Do you approve of the job Kirk Ferentz is doing?

• Yes

Votes: 88 46.8%
  • No

Votes: 100 53.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if it weren't for the losses to bad teams, we could be bordering on elite. that's what is ticking off most fans. and, makes recruits wonder.

Yes. Simply for the way they bounced back after the Minnesota loss.

Their offense is just too inconsistent. There's one key missing piece and that's TE. There isn't anybody playing good consistent football.

And plain and simple the defense isn't as good as years past. They must have a top 20 defense to win games. That's how they've won in the past. I'm really starting to believe that Norm's illness is impairing his ability to coach.

A close hard fought win this week and Kirk is cleared.

I have to agree with the Ghost. Right after a loss, really? It makes me sick every time these threads come up. It doesn't seem to matter who we play or how well THEY play, it's always our fault. Nothing like slapping the other team in the face. We dug ourselves that hole yesterday and have to own that. I don't think some of the people in this thread watched the same game I did.....or have at all this season. The staff didn't throw an interception. The staff didn't drop some easy passes. The staff didn't fumble a kickoff. The staff didn't miss several tackles. Poor execution doomed the Hawks Saturday. Period.

if it weren't for the losses to bad teams, we could be bordering on elite. that's what is ticking off most fans. and, makes recruits wonder.

I'm right there with you on this sentiment. This year's team definitely isn't one of KF's better teams, but if they could have just beaten ISU & Minnesota, they would still be 8-2 at this point. Pretty darn good for a rebuilding year. And heck, we might even be ranked...

Just consistently beating the teams they are supposed to beat would make a world of difference in the record.

The staff didn't throw an interception. The staff didn't drop some easy passes. The staff didn't fumble a kickoff. The staff didn't miss several tackles. Poor execution doomed the Hawks Saturday. Period.

People were saying the exact same thing throughout the entire Alford basketball era. "Coach isn't turning the ball over", "coach isn't missing the shots", etc.

Just answer this question: How long can the team continue to fail to execute before you look at the coaching staff for not coaching them up so that they CAN execute? Or recruiting the players that CAN execute?

From play to play, it isn't the coach's fault if someone drops a pass or something. But ultimately, it is the coach's responsibility to put a team on the field that can play the game.

Ferentz is one of if not the best coach in the country at putting the best team on the field for what he has to work with. As far as game day coaching goes he didn't forget cause he never learned how

That's only because he can't recruit. Wisconsin and Boise State don't seem to have that problem.

I do not approve of the direction that this team and program is going in. And since Kirk is at the helm that simply means I do not approve of the way he is running things. I am not endorsing his removal however, but I am really hoping he can figure out a way to turn things around like he did after the 2007 season. Without staff changes the Hawkeyes were able to come out of a three year slump and they became top competitors in the league again in 2008. I am pretty much assuming nothing can be done to really save this season now, but I hope for the 2012 campaign something can be done to change the way things are going. I know that we lose a lot of talent again on D next year, which will compound the difficulty even more, but I am holding out hope.

People were saying the exact same thing throughout the entire Alford basketball era. "Coach isn't turning the ball over", "coach isn't missing the shots", etc.

Just answer this question: How long can the team continue to fail to execute before you look at the coaching staff for not coaching them up so that they CAN execute? Or recruiting the players that CAN execute?

From play to play, it isn't the coach's fault if someone drops a pass or something. But ultimately, it is the coach's responsibility to put a team on the field that can play the game.

Don't even go there and compare the Alford era to the KF era. If Alford had accomplished similar things in his time at Iowa, MAYBE you could mount that argument. I don't see them as being poorly coached up. The missed tackles are from mostly from a bunch of young guys adjusting to being starters. I don't think JVB is poorly coached......I just think he made a poorly thrown pass on that pick. Bernstine isn't poorly coached....he just couldn't hang on to the ball. You're acting like this is all symptomatic of bad coaching and I am saying it was just a perfect storm of bad play. These kids are improving. I think the front seven played better in this game than they did against ISU, Penn State, Minnesota and Indiana.

For those people that like to bring up Boise State, let me know how well they fare when they join a real conference.

Last I checked KF isn't blocking or running or anything else. Penalties and turnovers just killed anything Iowa had going.

Don't even go there and compare the Alford era to the KF era. If Alford had accomplished similar things in his time at Iowa, MAYBE you could mount that argument.

Really? Overall, I would say you have a point. But the past several years, there are a lot of similarities between the two:

Playing to the level of your competition (i.e. beat a ranked team, then turn around and lose to a conference bottom feeder - Indiana, ISU, Minnesota).

Underachieving with talented teams (2005, 2006, 2010).

Players leaving the program (25+ the last few years).

Any of that sound familiar? Those are things we saw in the Alford era that we've been seing too much of in recent years under KF.

Yes, I do approve of the job he is doing.

I think we have some problems with predictability on offense, but I think that the majority of our issues right now stem from execution problems. There just seems to be a general lack of talent across the board right now.

I still think that KF is a great coach and that it will just take some time to turn around.

I appreciate everything KF has done for Iowa football. However, he was given a long term contract and a lot of money. When this happens, it's human nature to lose a little bit of that fire and drive to succeed. I have no doubt he is competitive, but when running the day to day I wonder if he has started just going through the motions. Again, I think when you have ultimate security, (nobody at Iowa would fire him and if they did he would get PAID,) then it's easy for complacency to set in. The last two seasons the team has looked like it is just going through the motions more often then not; I just wonder if they are taking on the personality of the head coach. I'm not saying fire KF, but I think bringing somebody new onto the staff to breath life into the program wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yes I approve. Am I happy how the past two seasons have gone, no. However, I think Ferentz is the right man for Iowa.

I am not happy with his recruiting and most notably the teams inability to retain depth.

I think that there needs to be some changes to his assistant coaches and strength and conditioning.

Right after a loss, really? It makes me sick every time these threads come up.

Judging by the closeness in the results, perhaps they would have been different had the question been asked today or tomorrow. Then again, I think people had their minds made up long before answering. I may not have been here long, but I can already sense who subscribes to "In Kirk We Trust" and who doesn't.

As for me, well, I am concerned about the direction this program is heading like others. Does that mean letting KF go? Not necessarily, but there needs to be some kind of change. If we're ok with 6 and 7 win seasons, then so is the football program, and that's all we're ever going to get.

Really? Overall, I would say you have a point. But the past several years, there are a lot of similarities between the two:

Playing to the level of your competition (i.e. beat a ranked team, then turn around and lose to a conference bottom feeder - Indiana, ISU, Minnesota).

Underachieving with talented teams (2005, 2006, 2010).

Players leaving the program (25+ the last few years).

Any of that sound familiar? Those are things we saw in the Alford era that we've been seing too much of in recent years under KF.

I was thinking about it this morning and there are a few things to keep in mind. We have done traditionally well against the upper division of the Big 10 (Michigan, OSU, Penn State, Wisconsin and MSU) and faltered at times against the lower division (Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois). A lot of people look at this and say that it appears that we play to the level of our competition, but it isn’t that. The upper division that I mentioned all use traditional pro style offenses that our defense is geared to stop and has done well against. The bottom feeders all use spread offenses to cover up a lack of talent and depth. Our defensive philosophy has never adapted to playing differently to stop them and it has killed us. I love Norm, but sometimes I would love to see a more aggressive defense so that it doesn’t come down to who has the ball last.

As far as players leaving the program, that number doesn’t mean much to me unless there is some sort of a national average to compare it to. Players leave schools all the time for a variety of reasons. I think Alford drove players away and to a lesser extent, so did Lickliter. I don’t think KF is driving players away.

Ridiculous. Iowa had no say in who they played. Saying it was luckily Georgia Tech takes away the accomplishment of getting there and winning the game. No such thing as a lucky matchup or win in a BCS game. It was no accident GT got to that game.

You missed the point completely...why am I not shocked.

why-so-stupid.jpg

I ask the same question when I read each of your posts...superstar...yes you are.

Dinardo always says that teams that play the spread will not defend the pro-set well,because they do not practice against it everyday.
I suppose the opposite does apply also,so Iowa just does not practice enough against the spread.
Still, I keep going back to how many close losses we have had and in many of them we missed a fg that could have given us the win...like ISU and Minny this year.
If Meyer makes those fgs,we are 8-2 and KF is a god.

Latest posts