Do we like the Ohio State WR visiting today?

Brown has 4 years of eligibility and Anderson has 3. They're basically replacing K Johnson and Bruce. That's a nice recovery by Iowa.
So 2 yrs with Cade and then whomever takes the reigns after that. Lainez perhaps.... That's a long ways off though it feels like. I'm fired up to see how all these newbies fit together and if Oline can pull their own weight.

For the all the angst about the coaching staff since the close of last season, and most of it was warranted, you cannot fault this offseason. Iowa has killed it in the transfer portal. On offense, we have brought in at least 5, and maybe as many as 7 starters from the portal, and we landed the best portal LB available (if you don't include the one we lost) who should be plug and play at the only real position of need on D.

On paper, this has got to be one of the more talented rosters in the KF era, but as others have said, this season will rise and fall on two things: McNamara's health and whether the OL can get it together. Everything else, including the schedule, sets up for a serious title run.
Ok so the coaches have addressed personnel issues at positions of need this offseason, but what they've failed to do is address the coaching issues at positions of need. Yes, we're bringing in talent, but what have we seen out of our offense or OC more importantly that says he can do anything with that talent. I've always felt the staff has put fourth the effort to bring in quality players and talent, however I haven't felt the same at our ability (or inability) to make those changes to fix deficiencies amongst the staff.

Always focusing on the first question can win you the B1G West, but it sure lowers your ceiling if you never consider the second.
Last year for that, but I think Iowa is the clear cut B1G West favorite coming into next season. New coaches at NU, Purdue, and Wisconsin....all installing new systems. There is that sore that is NW but I don't think this is their bounce back season.

Iowa is in a great position heading into this next season to have a good year.

Ok so the coaches have addressed personnel issues at positions of need this offseason, but what they've failed to do is address the coaching issues at positions of need. Yes, we're bringing in talent, but what have we seen out of our offense or OC more importantly that says he can do anything with that talent. I've always felt the staff has put fourth the effort to bring in quality players and talent, however I haven't felt the same at our ability (or inability) to make those changes to fix deficiencies amongst the staff.
That would need to come from a new AD because Kirk isn't firing himself. He's Iowa's OC, always has been, always will be.

.......or you can just make a bunch of changes ALL AT ONCE and have everything up in the wind. That happens to which is not good. Sometimes too many changes at the same time is worse and leaves ya guessing and scrambling. Get the roster in order and move on improve from there.

The coaches may have identified they had a roster or depth issue and may feel confident in the coaching.

I believe we recruited him out of high school. So hopefully there was a relationship there that helped him commit. Regardless, it's a huge get for us and it appears on paper we have addressed some of the glaring issues.

Hopefully it also allows for us to open the playbook a bit more. Not that I give BF a pass on the horrible offense output, but when you're limited on what you can execute, the playbook gets awfully small.

When you cannot open holes or pass protect, it makes things awfully tough to move the chains. Let's hope we see some positive changes for the offense. I think we have the right personnel to do some very good things.

And yet another thread devolves into Brian Ferentz sucks and his Dad sucks for not seeing that he sucks and Barta sucks for not making his Dad see that he sucks.

We get it......
Yeah, we get it - Brian bad, but he was retained and will be at least trough next season. Time to quit crying over something that wasn't going to happen anyway and move on. No lie, most people who have firing and hiring power in any industry don't typically fire people who have virtually no executive power whatsoever for a problem that aren't solely theirs.

Kirk runs Iowa's offense. The only way it will ever change is with him out. Since he's leaving whenever the F he says, pack your patience.

FWIW. In a year where Purdue, Wisconsin and Nebraska are all installing new offenses, I am glad we aren't. I don't care who Iowa's OC is, stability, continuity and steady wins a lot of races...ya know, unless Cooper Dejean goes down in the 1st Q of a game against a NFL caliber WR.

Yeah, we get it - Brian bad, but he was retained and will be at least trough next season. Time to quit crying over something that wasn't going to happen anyway and move on. No lie, most people who have firing and hiring power in any industry don't typically fire people who have virtually no executive power whatsoever for a problem that aren't solely theirs.

Kirk runs Iowa's offense. The only way it will ever change is with him out. Since he's leaving whenever the F he says, pack your patience.

FWIW. In a year where Purdue, Wisconsin and Nebraska are all installing new offenses, I am glad we aren't. I don't care who Iowa's OC is, stability, continuity and steady wins a lot of races...ya know, unless Cooper Dejean goes down in the 1st Q of a game against a NFL caliber WR.
A sensible post.

The big question can the offensive coordinator
I believe we recruited him out of high school. So hopefully there was a relationship there that helped him commit. Regardless, it's a huge get for us and it appears on paper we have addressed some of the glaring issues.

Hopefully it also allows for us to open the playbook a bit more. Not that I give BF a pass on the horrible offense output, but when you're limited on what you can execute, the playbook gets awfully small.

When you cannot open holes or pass protect, it makes things awfully tough to move the chains. Let's hope we see some positive changes for the offense. I think we have the right personnel to do some very good things.

I think we will see an improvement this season on moving the chains more often. Honestly is it even possible to be worse?

Attachments

• 32D26C6A-EF73-4B3D-8542-1BC18F15ACE8.jpeg
    32D26C6A-EF73-4B3D-8542-1BC18F15ACE8.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
For better or for worse this is the last year you'll have to ponder that question, at least in it's current form.

Are you suggesting if this team fails miserably on offense again this upcoming season that we could see a significant change that will seriously alter what we have been used too?

Nothing against Ragini, but they now have a #1 receiver. It sounds like McNamara was a big factor in getting him to commit.

Are you suggesting if this team fails miserably on offense again this upcoming season that we could see a significant change that will seriously alter what we have been used too?
Nope, only that 2023 will be Iowa's last chance to win the Big Ten West. In 2024 the Big Ten will get rid of divisions and just have the top 2 teams play in the CCG. But nothing will change on offense in 2024 unless Kirk retires.

And yet another thread devolves into Brian Ferentz sucks and his Dad sucks for not seeing that he sucks and Barta sucks for not making his Dad see that he sucks.

We get it......
Geez, North. You forgot to blame the U of I President!

Last year for that, but I think Iowa is the clear cut B1G West favorite coming into next season. New coaches at NU, Purdue, and Wisconsin....all installing new systems. There is that sore that is NW but I don't think this is their bounce back season.

Iowa is in a great position heading into this next season to have a good year.
Urban Meyers agrees with you.

No. UCLA and USC are joining B1G. The west isn’t going to be the west anymore.

Latest posts