Do stars matter? Pro-bowlers star rankings

Sorry I didn't feel like naming all the schools who recruit well and play well, it would be rather long.
All those schools you listed play pretty well to their recruiting level so I'm not sure what your point is. Not to mention they're all more talented than Iowa. Coaching and schedule is going to impact results. Outside of maybe Texas and Miami those teams all play a much more difficult schedule than Iowa and have more pro players.
Stars matter and Kirk isn't a great recruiter.

It Iowa was able to recruit at a top 15 rate in 8 out of 10 years my expectations would be much higher than they are. The bar would be Division championships/conference championships/playoffs, or we just aren't getting that good of coaching, period since the talent is there. That is why I think Les Miles is extremely overrated. Top 15 classes, even top 5 classes and they are LIGHT YEARS BEHIND BAMA.

Take Wisconsin for example. They aren't going to get top 15 classes either. They have taken basically the same types of classes Iowa has and produced better. That should be our goal/standard. Take Nebraska for example. They have about the same amount of wins over the last 16 years, but have recruited on average top 20 classes. That is poor coaching and results.

Iowa and Wisconsin won't recruit as well as Nebraska over a 15 year period, but they can both be as good or better than Nebraska and have been. If you can find talent that others overlook and are good at developing kids, you can surpass SOME recruiting disadvantages.

It is what it is. MSU can raise their profile over 5-6 years recruiting, but lets see what they do longer term if they stumble again this year. Dantonio built that program on recruiting classes just better than Wisconsins, but worse than Nebraska. The real trick is can they go on a 10-15 year run, or is what we are seeing a 5/6 year run by MSU.

Who said I want a 3* over a 5*? I want the kid that everyone else wants. The problem is when a kid has the choice to go to Bama, OSU, Michigan, Florida, Texas, ND, USC and Iowa, we aren't going to get them 98% of the time. It is what it is.

I don't care that they make money. I just think it is funny that people think these services are actually "accurate" or not. I mean they just spit out the top 300 kids, because of teams that offers, or that any idiot can see is heads and shoulder above the other kids. When people shout, ***** matter, I just laugh, it only means something to idiot joe blow fan really.

I didn't quote you, I quoted ickehawk; you just replied...

It Iowa was able to recruit at a top 15 rate in 8 out of 10 years my expectations would be much higher than they are. The bar would be Division championships/conference championships/playoffs, or we just aren't getting that good of coaching, period since the talent is there. That is why I think Les Miles is extremely overrated. Top 15 classes, even top 5 classes and they are LIGHT YEARS BEHIND BAMA.

Take Wisconsin for example. They aren't going to get top 15 classes either. They have taken basically the same types of classes Iowa has and produced better. That should be our goal/standard. Take Nebraska for example. They have about the same amount of wins over the last 16 years, but have recruited on average top 20 classes. That is poor coaching and results.

Iowa and Wisconsin won't recruit as well as Nebraska over a 15 year period, but they can both be as good or better than Nebraska and have been. If you can find talent that others overlook and are good at developing kids, you can surpass SOME recruiting disadvantages.

It is what it is. MSU can raise their profile over 5-6 years recruiting, but lets see what they do longer term if they stumble again this year. Dantonio built that program on recruiting classes just better than Wisconsins, but worse than Nebraska. The real trick is can they go on a 10-15 year run, or is what we are seeing a 5/6 year run by MSU.

Nobody is saying Iowa should recruit at a top 15 level but they shouldn't be 11th in the BIG coming off a Rose Bowl. They shouldn't have years where they're ranked in the 60's or 70's ever and they shouldn't ever be behind or even near ISU.
Top 30-35 is my modest expectation and we're a far cry from that most years.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that recruiting services aren't out "uncovering" talent that colleges would have otherwise missed.

Schools can totally win with mostly 3* kids. Wisconsin is doing it, Iowa has done it, MSU built their program on it. As you pointed out, over 1/2 of Pro Bowl players are coming from the 3* and 2* ranks. The talent it out there, and fortunately Iowa is pretty good at spotting the talent that others routinely misses.
But yea, I'll take some more 4* and 5* players lol please

Nobody is saying Iowa should recruit at a top 15 level but they shouldn't be 11th in the BIG coming off a Rose Bowl. They shouldn't have years where they're ranked in the 60's or 70's ever and they shouldn't ever be behind or even near ISU.
My question is why are we much better on the field than 70th overall or 11th in the big ten? Great coaching...stars mean very little....combination? I think the top 15 or so players maybe 25 are truly above everyone else freak athletes. After that maybe not a huge difference down to 2* with good work ethic?

Last edited:

I think after the top 25 classes that is where these services become a joke. They are great at getting the top 300 kids, any Monkey can do that. They really suck at evaluating the rest of the kids.

For instance Rivals says our '13 class was ranked #51. That was bullshit, because Rivals messed up. Wadley should have never been a 2*, he was a high 3* kid. Jewell was never a 2* he was a 4* kid. Vandeberg wasn't a 2* he was a 3*. King wasn't a low 3* he was a 5*.

That '13 class was a top 25 class period. Rivals rated them 25 spots or more lower than they should have. Yet in some minds Iowa recruited "poorly" that year because Rivals said so. LOL man, the '13 class was the reason Iowa has won 20 games over the last two years.

You'd take 3* over 5* - got it.
What's your overall point? Rivals and 247 make money off talent scouts by supplying a ranking? You just now came to that conclusion...
Just shut up. You didn't even address your 'proof'. And you're apparently just too stupid to understand 'anything', so just go play some video games or something and let me know what the Kardashians are up to...ignorant grazer.

I think after the top 25 classes that is where these services become a joke. They are great at getting the top 300 kids, any Monkey can do that. They really suck at evaluating the rest of the kids.

For instance Rivals says our '13 class was ranked #51. That was bullshit, because Rivals messed up. Wadley should have never been a 2*, he was a high 3* kid. Jewell was never a 2* he was a 4* kid. Vandeberg wasn't a 2* he was a 3*. King wasn't a low 3* he was a 5*.

That '13 class was a top 25 class period. Rivals rated them 25 spots or more lower than they should have. Yet in some minds Iowa recruited "poorly" that year because Rivals said so. LOL man, the '13 class was the reason Iowa has won 20 games over the last two years.

Iowa was in the lime light last year and all you heard from the talking heads about what a joke Iowa is. These guys would break down the players stars and laugh about it. That's all they seemed to care about. That kind of stuff starts these kinds of discussions. Little Iowa with all the 2 & 3 star kids. They have no business or chance of making the playoffs. The playoffs are only for bama,osu,clemson,etc. In a sense I guess stars matter. To me I would like to see the best talent we can get and that's why those that backed out left a void for Hawk Fans.

Iowa was in the lime light last year and all you heard from the talking heads about what a joke Iowa is. These guys would break down the players stars and laugh about it. That's all they seemed to care about. That kind of stuff starts these kinds of discussions. Little Iowa with all the 2 & 3 star kids. They have no business or chance of making the playoffs. The playoffs are only for bama,osu,clemson,etc. In a sense I guess stars matter. To me I would like to see the best talent we can get and that's why those that backed out left a void for Hawk Fans.

That was a complete joke when they were showing the 4* kids, etc. They are acting like the player is what they were defined as coming out of HS by Rivals.....instead of what they have proven they are on the actual football field. That is what I have an issue with. The '13 class had a 2* LB by the name of Josey Jewell, and a 4* LB Reggie Spearman. Who do we really want, Jewell or Spearman after they have actually shown what they can do on a football field? To act like what they were ranked in HS is what matters is a complete and total joke.

Who said I want a 3* over a 5*? I want the kid that everyone else wants. The problem is when a kid has the choice to go to Bama, OSU, Michigan, Florida, Texas, ND, USC and Iowa, we aren't going to get them 98% of the time. It is what it is.

I don't care that they make money. I just think it is funny that people think these services are actually "accurate" or not. I mean they just spit out the top 300 kids, because of teams that offers, or that any idiot can see is heads and shoulder above the other kids. When people shout, ***** matter, I just laugh, it only means something to idiot joe blow fan really.
he was responding to icke...oh no....

I had to laugh at those arguments. The argument that Iowa wasn't deserving because of the lack of 4* and 5* players. If you are betting on a team before a game or season that's a valid point, but it goes out the window after 12-0. Now, in the end they were right. I just thought the argument was exactly what is wrong with college and professional sports. The rich, including tradition, just keep getting richer. Maybe there should be an ncaa player draft? 5 rounds. Power 5 conferences all eligible. Then if you are not drafted you get to go wherever you choose. Those 5 rounds of players get extra compensation with a cap at say $100,000 for being forced to go play somewhere. Just like baseball, then can opt out of the money and go play anywhere (baseball go to college instead).

I didn't click on this thread for the longest time because I thought it was about rating professional bowlers such as in pins and lanes. Not kidding.

Rivals has 30 total 5 stars in the '17 class while 247 has 22. When you add in 4 stars, I would say there are probably about 300 total 4 & 5 stars, depending on the network.

With 128 FBS schools at 85 scholarships, that's 10,880 players. Then you have to add in walk-ons and FCS players. I'll let you guys do the math. :)

Actually, your math is incorrect. You're only factoring one year of "star rankings" and 4-5 years of available scholarship players. The number of 4-5* guys across the 128 teams would actually be 1200+...not factoring in attrition.

Latest posts