Do I have this right?

So, assuming Iowa beats NW. Our seed outcomes are:

3 seed: MSU loses AND Purdue OR Wisconsin lose.

4 seed: MSU OR Purdue lose OR tOSU win. (4-way tiebreaker lands Iowa at 4 seed since we beat Maryland)

5 seed: MSU AND Purdue win AND tOSU loses.

*tOSU can only help us if we win

Last edited:
So, assuming Iowa beats NW. Our seed outcomes are:

3 seed: Purdue AND MSU lose.

4 seed: Purdue OR MSU lose OR tOSU win. (4-way tiebreaker lands Iowa at 4 seed since we beat Maryland)

5 seed: Purdue AND MSU win AND tOSU loses.

*tOSU can only help us if we win

3 seed: MSU lose and Purdue or Wisconsin lose. Everything else is right.

Here are the game times:

Saturday:
NW @ Iowa - 11am BTN
MSU @ Indiana - 11am ESPN
Illinois @ Purdue - 3:30pm BTN

Sunday:
Wisconsin @ Ohio State - 3:30pm CBS

So unfortunately we won't completely know Iowa's fate until Sunday evening. However if Iowa wins and MSU loses we'll know if Iowa has a double bye or not right after the Hawkeye game. Saturday morning would be a good time for two tvs :)

Here's how I'm picturing it ... remember that scene toward the end of "8 Mile" where Eminem is in the bathroom, and his friend comes to get him for the battle? Just like that, except it's Aaron white.

Friend -- "They're ready for you, Aaron."

White -- OK

Friend -- "you got (insert team name here) in this round. you ok with that?"

White -- "Yep. I don't give an eff who it is."

For the record, I am embarrassed for both picturing it this way, and actually making a post about it. The bottom line is - they're dialed in. While I'm sure the team has preferred opponenets, our guys are the ones no one wants to face right now.

Cheer for any team that starts with a vowel. That's the easiest way to remember.

Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio State

If the 3 I's win then I'm against the O so we get 3rd alone.

Here are the game times:

Saturday:
NW @ Iowa - 11am BTN
MSU @ Indiana - 11am ESPN
Illinois @ Purdue - 3:30pm BTN

Sunday:
Wisconsin @ Ohio State - 3:30pm CBS

So unfortunately we won't completely know Iowa's fate until Sunday evening. However if Iowa wins and MSU loses we'll know if Iowa has a double bye or not right after the Hawkeye game. Saturday morning would be a good time for two tvs :)

If both Purdue and MSU lose, we don't have to wait for Sunday....we'll have the #3 seed locked up.

If both Purdue and MSU lose, we don't have to wait for Sunday....we'll have the #3 seed locked up.

Well if you want to go by that logic then if both Iowa wins and Michigan State loses at 11am on Saturday then Iowa is guaranteed a double-bye. You can really look at it however you want to.

Well if you want to go by that logic then if both Iowa wins and Michigan State loses at 11am on Saturday then Iowa is guaranteed a double-bye. You can really look at it however you want to.

I was just saying you don't have to wait for Sunday is all.....

Please help me understand... How does Wisconsin losing help Iowa? They only have 2 conf. losses and a loss would still leave them as a #1 seed, since Maryland has 4 losses. We'd still be tied with OSU, but since we beat OSU, Iowa owns the tiebreaker and would get the better seed. I'm under the impression that only the MSU & Purdue games have any further bearing on Iowa's seeding - assuming Iowa defeats NW.

Please help me understand... How does Wisconsin losing help Iowa? They only have 2 conf. losses and a loss would still leave them as a #1 seed, since Maryland has 4 losses. We'd still be tied with OSU, but since we beat OSU, Iowa owns the tiebreaker and would get the better seed. I'm under the impression that only the MSU & Purdue games have any further bearing on Iowa's seeding - assuming Iowa defeats NW.

I think that's right. We own the tie breaker over OSU, and Purdue/MSU each own the tie breaker over us, all by virtue of head to head results. So we can tie with OSU and get the higher seed, but we need to finish AHEAD of PU/MSU to get the higher seed over them.

So if we tie with Purdue & MSU, those two get the 3 & 4 seeds, and we'd be the 5. OSU is irrelevant just as long as we don't lose to NW and also finish behind them.

At least, that's how I understand it.

I believe Wisky & MD have the 1-2 seeds locked up, so it's just a matter of where Iowa, OSU, Purdue and MSU all finish in the standings.

The way I read the standings, if we win and Purdue and M$U lose, it doesn't matter what O$U does. Oh, and Hawknick also gets Poster of the Quarter for predicting a 6-0 finish to the regular season...

The way I read the standings, if we win and Purdue and M$U lose, it doesn't matter what O$U does. Oh, and Hawknick also gets Poster of the Quarter for predicting a 6-0 finish to the regular season...

Actually, I think if Iowa beats NW, then we're guaranteed a higher seed than OSU no matter what. We would only need MSU and/or Purdue to lose for us to move up into to the 3/4 seeds.

Unless there's some crazy scenario where we end up with a 4-way tie or something? I'm not sure if that changes anything as far as our tie-breakers over OSU goes.

We have the tie breaker in a 3 way tie with us Purdue and OSU. So if iowa and purdue both win and OSU loses, it's a 2 way tie that Purdue wins. If iowa, purdue, band OSU win, it's a 3 way tie that we win. The OSU game only matters if we end up with the same record as Purdue.

Actually, I think if Iowa beats NW, then we're guaranteed a higher seed than OSU no matter what. We would only need MSU and/or Purdue to lose for us to move up into to the 3/4 seeds.

Unless there's some crazy scenario where we end up with a 4-way tie or something? I'm not sure if that changes anything as far as our tie-breakers over OSU goes.

If it's 4-way tie, I think we get 4? If we win, PU & MSU lose, we are the 3-seed, no matter what. In that scenario, we trump O$U. It's the 4-way tie that I can't--won't try to!--wrap my head around :)

In 3-way tie with OSU and one of the others, THAT may be where it gets dicey, but who knows.

Basically, of all the teams above/tied, we own head-to-head against just O$U. If only ONE of those teams loses, we do NOT want it to be O$U, basically. In that scenario, we get double-bye, I believe.

One thing, aside from sweeping O$U, that we have in our favor is the win over Maryland. None of those teams currently has a win over Wiscy.

Basically, we want to win and have M$U and PU lose.

If it's 4-way tie, I think we get 4? If we win, PU & MSU lose, we are the 3-seed, no matter what. In that scenario, we trump O$U. It's the 4-way tie that I can't--won't try to!--wrap my head around :)

In 3-way tie with OSU and one of the others, THAT may be where it gets dicey, but who knows.

Basically, of all the teams above/tied, we own head-to-head against just O$U. If only ONE of those teams loses, we do NOT want it to be O$U, basically. In that scenario, we get double-bye, I believe.

One thing, aside from sweeping O$U, that we have in our favor is the win over Maryland. None of those teams currently has a win over Wiscy.

Basically, we want to win and have M$U and PU lose.

If it comes down to a 3 or 4 way tie, and the head-to-head stuff can't be sorted out, does it come down to overall record, then? That's where I see OSU has the edge, at 22-8.

But, I think Iowa will beat NW and OSU will lose @Wisky, so it hopefully won't be an issue anyway.

Oh well, maybe it's easier just to see who wins and go with the flow. :D

Latest posts