DJK cut by Barnstormers

DJK's 40 hand timed was anywhere between 4.43 and 4.59. That is hand timing for you. That probably equates to somewhere in the low 4.5's. That is respectable.

But, his combined cone and shuttle numbers were below what you would expect for a draft worthy receiver, as were his other workout numbers. There were guys who got lower numbers in individual events, but he was pretty much down toward the bottom across all results. These numbers indicate your ability to get separation against NFL DB's.

What I think is hysterical are the people who tell you about a player's projected draft status before that player worked out for NFL teams. So, the "he was projected to go" before he got in trouble argument is just plain silly.

His numbers just are not there. There are plenty of amazing college receivers that can't make it in the NFL. Purdue has had a few over the years.

Where did you come across this information, just curious, and do you have any way to back it up?

I know he set every strength record for receivers at Iowa and his forty was generally around 4.5 or slightly lower.

Where did you come across this information, just curious, and do you have any way to back it up?

I know he set every strength record for receivers at Iowa and his forty was generally around 4.5 or slightly lower.

His 40 time was 4.5, his broad jump 9'10" (which is middle of the pack), a 4.42 short shuttle (which is fairly slow for a WR), 34.5 inch vertical (probably middle of the pack), and 21 bench reps, which is elite for a WR.

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos ran a 4.50 today | National Football Post

DJK is too small to be a "power forward" WR, and doesn't have the quicks/speed to be a "point guard" WR. He is a tweener. The NFL doesn't really have a spot for him.

DJK is too small to be a "power forward" WR, and doesn't have the quicks/speed to be a "point guard" WR. He is a tweener. The NFL doesn't really have a spot for him.

Nobody needs a team pharmacist? Or sort of a part-time team chemist?
Who knew?

The majority of receivers in the NFL don't fit either or those descriptions IMO.

The average size of an NFL receiver is 6'1 the average 40 time is 4.5

Your thinking to much about the stars and not the average guys that make up the majority.

For instance the Redskins alone have Niles Paul and Ray Small on their roster. Those guys weren't any bigger or faster than DJK and they weren't nearly as good in college.

Speed only really sets you apart if you are freaky fast and can flat out run behind the defense like Mike Wallace or Randy Moss in his prime could. Otherwise its about technique.

Two of the best receivers ever Jerry Rice and Micheal Irvin were not fast at all.

The majority of receivers in the NFL don't fit either or those descriptions IMO.

The average size of an NFL receiver is 6'1 the average 40 time is 4.5

Your thinking to much about the stars and not the average guys that make up the majority.

For instance the Redskins alone have Niles Paul and Ray Small on their roster. Those guys weren't any bigger or faster than DJK and they weren't nearly as good in college.

Speed only really sets you apart if you are freaky fast and can flat out run behind the defense like Mike Wallace or Randy Moss in his prime could. Otherwise its about technique.

Two of the best receivers ever Jerry Rice and Micheal Irvin were not fast at all.

This. Does DJK have elite measurables? No. Does he possess enough skill to stick somewhere in the NFL, if given the chance? Yes. If he gets a shot, I think he'll make it. But teams weren't going to draft a guy with his talent with a less-than-glowing recommendation from Ferentz. That's not to say Ferentz black balled him. DJK made his own bed there, and I think Ferentz told the NFL the truth. That's all there is to it.

This. Does DJK have elite measurables? No. Does he possess enough skill to stick somewhere in the NFL, if given the chance? Yes. If he gets a shot, I think he'll make it. But teams weren't going to draft a guy with his talent with a less-than-glowing recommendation from Ferentz. That's not to say Ferentz black balled him. DJK made his own bed there, and I think Ferentz told the NFL the truth. That's all there is to it.

Seems like a pointless conversation to have when the guy gets cut from a low level arena team

Seems like a pointless conversation to have when the guy gets cut from a low level arena team

When it's far more likely that he simply was having trouble adjusting to the style of play, it's still a fair discussion. A guy who's good enough to be a (basically) starting WR in the Big Ten for 4 years is good enough to play in the Arena League.

When it's far more likely that he simply was having trouble adjusting to the style of play, it's still a fair discussion. A guy who's good enough to be a (basically) starting WR in the Big Ten for 4 years is good enough to play in the Arena League.

You are assuming he is still the same caliber player compared to when he was breaking records at Iowa. Thats a stretch

How hard is it to adjust to a league where they play no D?

FAIL, DJK without a doubt would of got a shot if he didn't get into all that trouble. Ray Lewis is one of the best NFL linebackers to ever play the game, some may say THE best. Teams tend to let a few things slide under the rug for a hall of famer.
Like MURDER????

Latest posts