DJ Johnson Commits to Iowa

247 still has him as a "90" and a 4 star. Their "composite" ranking did drop, though, but that wasn't from them, it was other services who dropped him which caused his composite to drop to 3 star from 4 star. It's freaking ridiculous because I guarantee you that had he committed to ND, his composite would have most likely jumped to the low 90's.

And people wonder why teams like Notre Dame do less with more talent. It's because 20 recruits are ranked slightly higher making their team ranking way higher.

Say what u want about his speed, watch the video. Great instincts, good leaper, and can knock heads. Bet that speed gets better after refining technique. I see a future star.

Who cares if his ranking dropped, he's still the same player.

I don't care about it from a "micro" standpoint....yes, he's absolutely the same player. But from a "macro" standpoint, it does matter. The reason it matters is because it ends up perpetuating the myth that all the best players go to the best programs....so every year, when the same programs keep dominating the recruiting rankings, then the same great kids keep wanting to go there and it just goes around and around.

You wonder if Kirk even knew he was rated a 4-star before he went after him. He says he doesn't care about that stuff anyway.

He's now a 3 star player. What a shock.

Haha, shocker. I would love to see some statistics on how recruits are downgraded after committing to non blue-bloods vs recruits being upgraded after committing to a traditional power. That's why you can't always trust the * rating.
Had Oliver Martin committed to Iowa, he'd still be a 2* right now instead of a 4*.

I messaged with DJ again last night. He's still committed to Iowa and will be officially visiting here this weekend. However, he hasn't closed the door on listening to other schools. He had an in-home with Ohio State last weekened, although the Buckeyes have not offered.

This one is a fluid situation, IMO, but the Hawkeye staff could have a chance to close the door this week. He's supposed to have an in-home with Phil Parker before the official visit. This is part of the process.

I messaged with DJ again last night. He's still committed to Iowa and will be officially visiting here this weekend. However, he hasn't closed the door on listening to other schools. He had an in-home with Ohio State last weekened, although the Buckeyes have not offered.

This one is a fluid situation, IMO, but the Hawkeye staff could have a chance to close the door this week. He's supposed to have an in-home with Phil Parker before the official visit. This is part of the process.

We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. KF made it pretty evident that any verbal that doesn't sign in December is going to be considered "gone" and the staff will proceed elsewhere....

Could be over if he decides to visit somewhere next weekend. Per the Iowa rule, that would mean pulling his offer.

Iowa stand a better chance of signing DJ if they:

1) Play hardball. They tell DJ if he takes other visits and doesn’t sign on the 20th they are moving on.

2) Tell DJ no problem, you can take official visits to LSU and OSU, and let us know the first week in Feb if you are signing with the Hawks.

Please explain why you think your choice gives Iowa the best shot at signing DJ. Or write in another option you think the coaches should do.

Last edited:
Iowa stand a better chance of signing DJ if they:

1) Play hardball. They tell DJ if he takes other visits and doesn’t sign in the 20th they are moving on.

2) Tell DJ no problem, you can take official visits to LSU and OSU, and let us know the first week in Feb if you are signing with the Hawks.

Please explain why you think your choice gives Iowa the best shot at signing DJ. Or write in another option you think the coaches should do.

They should have some assistants tell him it's ok to visit as long as they don't tell Kirk.

Why Iowa? I don't know, ask Desmond King and Micah Hyde, and at some point, Josh Jackson. They may have a few million reasons why Iowa.

Latest posts