DJ Carton - To Iowa?

Makes me puke to say it but ISU is probably the ideal fit for him. That team has an empty ass roster right now.
I think Iowa’s wide-open style actually fits Carton and his abilities perfectly. And today’s game is all about guard play and shooting. Many teams play 3-4 guards at a time. Even the big’s can run floor, handle ball, and shoot 3’s. Illini went to title game playing 4 guards.

It doesn’t appear Fran thinks so in the slightest. Reaching out means nothing.

What if Carton said I want to walk on at Iowa and sit out next year to work on my game? Then come back the following year.

You have no idea what was said or what Iowa’s interest level was (if they even did reach out). Reaching out is a mere formality
Of course I’m guessing. So is everyone else. Unless Fran is posting on this site, which he doesn’t (which is another guess). I’m full of it (guesses, that is).

There must be some disconnect between Iowa and the Carton's that we just don't understand or are aware of. Maybe it stems from something that happened in the recruiting process when CJ was in high school.

Even fearless leader Rob has tweeted that there is no mutual interest at least at this point.

Kenyon Murray must know the Carton family from high school days as he texts with CJ's mother and he tweeted that CJ might not choose a school that is the best basketball 'fit' for him but rather a school where the coaching staff, players and school are. I don't know why that couldn't be Iowa.

If CJ really wanted to go pro now why doesn't he just declare. Somebody would put him in the G League.

Maybe he's a sensitive soul, he is pretty young, that mentally needs to mature some before being ready for the rigors of big time basketball, wherever that is.

I wonder how teams like Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina can ever win a game with all that talent they collect year in and year out.

Yeah, I don't buy the "too much talent" argument. Our 1986-87 team had something like 9 guys that went pro... They were loaded. Didn't seem to bother them too much.

Of course Mr. Davis's system played a lot of guys. Tons of substitutions, etc. So most everyone got to play. And Fran seems to like going deep into his bench, too.

Think I'd be willing to take my chances with more talent than less. Pretty funny.

I haven't checked since last week, but as of then there was no mutual interest between Iowa and Carton.

There must be some disconnect between Iowa and the Carton's that we just don't understand or are aware of. Maybe it stems from something that happened in the recruiting process when CJ was in high school.

Even fearless leader Rob has tweeted that there is no mutual interest at least at this point.

Kenyon Murray must know the Carton family from high school days as he texts with CJ's mother and he tweeted that CJ might not choose a school that is the best basketball 'fit' for him but rather a school where the coaching staff, players and school are. I don't know why that couldn't be Iowa.

If CJ really wanted to go pro now why doesn't he just declare. Somebody would put him in the G League.

Maybe he's a sensitive soul, he is pretty young, that mentally needs to mature some before being ready for the rigors of big time basketball, wherever that is.

DJ...DJ...

At least it wasn’t ISU or somewhere in the B1G.

Many OSU fans (not saying they are correct) think there is more to that story than how it appeared to the outside world.

He’s going to have to sit out next year and then potentially play only one year at Marquette and then go to the draft? Good for Marquette I guess but is it really worth it? Time will tell.

Maybe Iowa can draw Marquette again in the Gavitt games in 2021 when DJ is eligible. Would have been interesting to see him play at Carver as an opposing player.

Many OSU fans (not saying they are correct) think there is more to that story than how it appeared to the outside world.

He’s going to have to sit out next year and then potentially play only one year at Marquette and then go to the draft? Good for Marquette I guess but is it really worth it? Time will tell.

Maybe Iowa can draw Marquette again in the Gavitt games in 2021 when DJ is eligible. Would have been interesting to see him play at Carver as an opposing player.

I haven’t looked into what OSU fans are saying. My guess is they’re implying that mental health issues weren’t the main reason he left?

It is my view that most fans underestimate how difficult a transition it can be in terms of culture, personality fit, etc. with coaches/teammates, geography for these athletes. Even the most talented and highly rated are human beings. Sometimes it just doesn't work, without anything sinister involved.

I haven’t looked into what OSU fans are saying. My guess is they’re implying that mental health issues weren’t the main reason he left?
Something along those lines yes. Don’t know if they are just bitter, or there is more there. It’s the internet so who knows what to believe.

Can't rule out that he could play immediately.........(1) hardship waiver for mental health issue (2) NCAA changes transfer rules at summer meeting

And they'd probably be right... I mean is that what Carton has said? What would Marquette be promising to do that OSU wouldn't in that regard? I mean I have no clue honestly but unless any of it is being articulated fans will assume what they'll assume.

Something along those lines yes. Don’t know if they are just bitter, or there is more there. It’s the internet so who knows what to believe.
Right and if he's not saying why he's left then it's a pretty open ended thing. I remember hearing something about him having a little brother coming up and him saying he'll be a Buckeye too yadda yadda. Wonder if that's still the case... And I have no clue how old this younger brother is either btw.

And they'd probably be right... I mean is that what Carton has said? What would Marquette be promising to do that OSU wouldn't in that regard? I mean I have no clue honestly but unless any of it is being articulated fans will assume what they'll assume.

I don't think we can say they'd probably be right. As you said, that's just assuming because he hasn't said anything publicly yet. He'll talk about it in time.

Really, what people outside his circle of friends and family say is irrelevant. The people around him know what's going on.

To be honest, I don't really care why he's leaving Ohio State or why he's going to Marquette. I hoping his mental health is improving, but he's not coming to Iowa so it's mainly off my radar.

Reactions: trj
I'm with Rob on this. Maybe Wojo gets the best out of him, maybe he doesn't. I really don't care either way. He is not at Iowa or any B1G school, not at ISU, so it is not something I care about. I root for his mental health to be in a good place, other than that I don't give a F(excuse my language).

Latest posts