Dispelling some comments/opinions on Keno

I am ok with Keno. But we should see if we could do better first. Actually I think I would take a flyer on Steve Forbes before Keno.

I agree with this statement. I think the only benefit to hiring Keno would be the hope that his father reinvolves himself with the Iowa basketball program. I am not sold on Keno bringning in the players he needs to to compete at Iowa. I don't know what he has recruited at Providence but I prefer the idea of going after a gifted recruiter to just get some talent in here.

Well per the previous posts on this thread it looks like people's problem with Keno is NO DEFENSE and he looks like a leprechaun. I would feel alot better about BJ if he was one of the most respected COACHES out there. And please elaborate on what exactly he is connected to? You seem to have some inside information on this? Also please do tell how do you know he could put together a quality staff? Has he ever put one together before that leads you to this conclusion? What is the next level? The NBA? IF you think Iowa is going to magically start churning out 2 NBA draft picks every year because BJ Armstrong is the coach I think you are in fantasy land.

B.J. Armstrong, NBA Player Agent, Wasserman Media Group

I believe that the firm he works for is kind of a big deal...and BJ prepares every player that uses their firm for the NBA draft and he spends time talking with NBA execs in order to improve the draft stock of each and every prospect that uses his firm. That would imply that he has connections with decision makers in the NBA.

If you were a high schooler with hopes of playing in the NBA would that intrigue you?

We talk all the time about how much it helps our players that Kirk Ferentz is connected with NFL GMs and they value his opinion on players. An endorsement from Ferentz is worth a lot. I don't know how well respected BJ is...just because you do the job doesn't mean you're any good...but at the very least he has experience in that aspect which could be very advantageous. Plus when you're selling a recruit...and you tell them you've sat down with GMs and lobbied for guys like Derek Rose to get better draft stock...whether or not you did much isn't going to matter...they're probably not calling NBA GMs and asking how influential BJ was in their decision to draft certain players.

Connections? Check

If by "eerily similar" you mean "completely different", then yeah, they have been "eerily similar".

Lickliter's Resume for the three years prior to coming to Iowa.

Mid-Major Head Coach for 6 years
Record as head coach last 3 years - 62-35
NABC National Coach of the Year
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

Keno's Resume for the three years prior to now-

Mid-Major Head Coach for 3 years
Record as a head coach last three years (also overall)- 59-38
AP National Coach of the Year
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

Last edited:
Lickliter's Resume for the three years prior to coming to Iowa.

Mid-Major Head Coach for 6 years
Record as head coach last 3 years - 62-35
NABC National Coach of the Year
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

Keno's Resume for the three years prior to now-

Mid-Major Head Coach for 3 years
Record as a head coach last three years (also overall)- 59-38
AP National Coach of the Year
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

And just for giggles let’s look at Alford's resume his 3 years before coming to Iowa

Mid-Major Head Coach for 4 years
Record as head coach three years prior to Iowa 62-36
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

Only thing missing is some Coach of the year honor.

My point is we've been down the mid-major road twice. It failed miserably....twice. We need to change our approach

And just for giggles let’s look at Alford's resume his 3 years before coming to Iowa

Mid-Major Head Coach for 4 years
Record as head coach three years prior to Iowa 62-36
1 NCAA Appearance
1 NIT Appearance

Only thing missing is some Coach of the year honor.

My point is we've been down the mid-major road twice. It failed miserably....twice. We need to change our approach

OK is Keno Davis just the coach of Providence in the BIG EAST for the past 2 seasons in my own mind? Its nice to just omit facts to strengthen your position.

My bad... I didn't realize Providence was a Big East school. I still don't think it discredits my data.

While Providence isn't a mid-major school you can't say he's been successful thier either.

My bad... I didn't realize Providence was a Big East school. I still don't think it discredits my data.

While Providence isn't a mid-major school you can't say he's been successful thier either.

OK but you also can't dismiss the invaluable experience this provides him. Recruiting on the east coast, coaching against some of the best coaches in the nation night in and night out, going to some of the most difficult environments to play in in the entire nation, being the head of a program that is pretty much the sole athletic lifeblood of the entire university. Things that coaches that have solely been in the mid-major ranks have never had to deal with. I don't look too much in to mid-major achievements either I hate mid-majors, but I would say not even bothering to note this is a disservice to your argument.

OK but you also can't dismiss the invaluable experience this provides him. Recruiting on the east coast, coaching against some of the best coaches in the nation night in and night out, going to some of the most difficult environments to play in in the entire nation, being the head of a program that is pretty much the sole athletic lifeblood of the entire university. Things that coaches that have solely been in the mid-major ranks have never had to deal with. I don't look too much in to mid-major achievements either I hate mid-majors, but I would say not even bothering to note this is a disservice to your argument.

All fair points. But thus far he's not been a proven success at Providence. His success right now is a 1 year wonder at Drake. We can't honestly say (one way or the other) that he is a capable coach.

Until he's established himself more, we need to take a pass.

All fair points. But thus far he's not been a proven success at Providence. His success right now is a 1 year wonder at Drake. We can't honestly say (one way or the other) that he is a capable coach.

Until he's established himself more, we need to take a pass.

I can only think of a couple others that have been mentioned that are more established head coaches at the major conf. level. Pearl, Stallings. Are those your top 2?

I can only think of a couple others that have been mentioned that are more established head coaches at the major conf. level. Pearl, Stallings. Are those your top 2?

I'm not well versed on who's really out there (Other than what Jon has shared on this site) but a guy who has only served as an assistant under his dad, and just finsihed his third year of head coaching with 13 straight losses would not honestly be considered for any other Big 10, Big 12, or ACC head coaching position.

The only reason he is being discussed for Iowa becasue of his dad. Lets be honest, Drake wouldn't have likely hired him except for the argreement Mr. Davis arranged when he was brought on at Drake.

I was incorrect in stating the 1st PC coach to win a conf tourney game.....s/b since 2003.

I'm also not saying he would be the only candidate I would favor. But I wouldn't be upset with him either. Some of the names being thrown around are hilarious. B.J., Ernie Kent, Bob Knight, Steve Lavin, Rick Pitino, Kevin Stallings......I'm surprised somebody hasn't mentioned Tim Tebow.

Tebow actually has been mentioned. FWIW

You gotta love the guy with limited basketball knowledge voicing his opinion on who should or shouldn't be hired at Iowa.

I'm not well versed on who's really out there (Other than what Jon has shared on this site) but a guy who has only served as an assistant under his dad, and just finsihed his third year of head coaching with 13 straight losses would not honestly be considered for any other Big 10, Big 12, or ACC head coaching position.

The only reason he is being discussed for Iowa becasue of his dad. Lets be honest, Drake wouldn't have likely hired him except for the argreement Mr. Davis arranged when he was brought on at Drake.

But like I said I think you should rethink your criteria because the list is looking pretty mid-majorish past Pearl, Stallings, Davis imo as far as current head coaches go...

Actually, he was assistant at SE Mo St and for Bruce Pearl at So. Indiana.

But like I said I think you should rethink your criteria because the list is looking pretty mid-majorish past Pearl, Stallings, Davis imo as far as current head coaches go...

*Cringes* Fair enough....

I just can't bring myself to see Keno Davis as the answer. I really don't have anything "against" him. I just think the appeal of Keno coming to Iowa is more about Mr. Davis than Keno.

*Cringes* Fair enough....

I just can't bring myself to see Keno Davis as the answer. I really don't have anything "against" him. I just think the appeal of Keno coming to Iowa is more about Mr. Davis than Keno.

I wouldn't say you are too far off but the keyword that you mentioned is "appeal". At least there is some kind of broader/beyond just the court appeal with Keno. I can not say the same thing for many of the names getting thrown around.

Latest posts