Dispelling some comments/opinions on Keno

johnashawk

I have linked his bio, so you can read it yourself, but for those too lazy or too busy or too indifferent, I will offer a couple of rebuttals to some comments I read.

Keno's first Drake team had one starter returning from a 17-15 team the year before. He was named national coach of the year by 6 different publications. Drake lost to a very good WKU team in ot 101-99.

His first year at providence he won 19 games. beat #1 ranked Pitt, had a 10-8 conference record, was the 1st Providence team to win a conference tournament game.

He was an assistant under both Bruce Pearl and Tom Davis. He has written 2 books....one on pressure defense.

There is more. Please feel free to read it for yourself if interested.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/davis_keno00.html

Last edited:
His first year at providence he won 19 games. beat #1 ranked Pitt, had a 10-8 conference record, was the 1st Providence team to win a conference tournament game.

And is his second year at Providence he went 12-19 with a 4-14 Big East record. Just sayin' as well...

How was his team the first Providence team to win a BE tourney game? I am pretty sure Providence had some pretty solid teams in the 90's that almost certainly won a game in the tournament, but I'd have to do some research to check it out for sure...

Yet some how, some way, there is a growing opinion that BJ freaking Armstrong could bring these attributes that Keno apparently doesn't have. Unbelievable.

Yet some how, some way, there is a growing opinion that BJ freaking Armstrong could bring these attributes that Keno apparently doesn't have. Unbelievable.

BJ is one of the most respected agents there is out there. He is connected and would have the ability to put together an extremely quality staff and get players by telling them he knows how he'd be able to take them to the next level, something your boy, cliche, Keno couldn't do.

BJ is one of the most respected agents there is out there. He is connected and would have the ability to put together an extremely quality staff and get players by telling them he knows how he'd be able to take them to the next level, something your boy, cliche, Keno couldn't do.

Well per the previous posts on this thread it looks like people's problem with Keno is NO DEFENSE and he looks like a leprechaun. I would feel alot better about BJ if he was one of the most respected COACHES out there. And please elaborate on what exactly he is connected to? You seem to have some inside information on this? Also please do tell how do you know he could put together a quality staff? Has he ever put one together before that leads you to this conclusion? What is the next level? The NBA? IF you think Iowa is going to magically start churning out 2 NBA draft picks every year because BJ Armstrong is the coach I think you are in fantasy land.

I think Keno and BJ would both be a step in the wrong direction. This isn't about who you like it's about who will make the team better and get the ship turned around.

And is his second year at Providence he went 12-19 with a 4-14 Big East record. Just sayin' as well...

How was his team the first Providence team to win a BE tourney game? I am pretty sure Providence had some pretty solid teams in the 90's that almost certainly won a game in the tournament, but I'd have to do some research to check it out for sure...
I was incorrect in stating the 1st PC coach to win a conf tourney game.....s/b since 2003.

I'm also not saying he would be the only candidate I would favor. But I wouldn't be upset with him either. Some of the names being thrown around are hilarious. B.J., Ernie Kent, Bob Knight, Steve Lavin, Rick Pitino, Kevin Stallings......I'm surprised somebody hasn't mentioned Tim Tebow.

BJ Armstrong? What is his record as a coach? Just have no idea.

I was incorrect in stating the 1st PC coach to win a conf tourney game.....s/b since 2003.

I'm also not saying he would be the only candidate I would favor. But I wouldn't be upset with him either. Some of the names being thrown around are hilarious. B.J., Ernie Kent, Bob Knight, Steve Lavin, Rick Pitino, Kevin Stallings......I'm surprised somebody hasn't mentioned Tim Tebow.

Tebow has finally been mentioned.

He was named national coach of the year by 6 different publications. Drake lost to a very good WKU team in ot 101-99.

Let's stop right there. If he's won coach of the year than by golly that's good enough for me.

No way someone who's won coach of the year honors can go wrong. [/sarcasm]

I've said this in a previous thread. Does it not scare you how eerily similar Keno's past is to Lickliters? We've gone this route before.... twice. It hasn't worked, lets try something different.

I am ok with Keno. But we should see if we could do better first. Actually I think I would take a flyer on Steve Forbes before Keno.

Let's stop right there. If he's won coach of the year than by golly that's good enough for me.

No way someone who's won coach of the year honors can go wrong. [/sarcasm]

I've said this in a previous thread. Does it not scare you how eerily similar Keno's past is to Lickliters? We've gone this route before.... twice. It hasn't worked, lets try something different.

If by "eerily similar" you mean "completely different", then yeah, they have been "eerily similar".

Latest posts