Different Year, Same Result.

MelroseHawkins

I'm so done watching opposing 3 pt shots and dunks today.

It is the same story every year and this game epitomizes what Iowa's weakness are on a yearly basis................defensively closing out on 3 pt shots and the lack of athleticism on the roster. I got pretty nervous watching other teams in the NCAA, many from lower conferences, who clearly played a much more athletic game and noticeably better defense, all going back to the athletes other teams have. To be honest, we have too many "shooters" and just not enough team athleticism or quickness.

It fitting!

Last edited:

It is the same story every year and this game epitomizes what Iowa's weakness are on a yearly basis................defensively closing out on 3 pt shots and the lack of athleticism on the roster. I got pretty nervous watching other teams in the NCAA, many from lower conferences, who clearly played a much more athletic game and noticeably better defense, all going back to the athletes other teams have. To be honest, we have too many "shooters" and just not enough team quickness.

It fitting!

When shooting is the most important thing being looked at from the top of the roster to the bottom of it, this is exactly what were going to continue to get.

Get used to it, it isn't going to change anytime soon.........WTF is a an assistant with a defensive philosophy so hard to find???

Get used to it, it isn't going to change anytime soon.........WTF is a an assistant with a defensive philosophy so hard to find???
Not in his DNA!!! How does HC sleep tonight? Not on Players! A RICH bum I Say... Still proud of Hawk Players. POWER AND $$$ rule the ROOST huh? Iowa Fans Always Waay Cool...

It is the same story every year and this game epitomizes what Iowa's weakness are on a yearly basis................defensively closing out on 3 pt shots and the lack of athleticism on the roster. I got pretty nervous watching other teams in the NCAA, many from lower conferences, who clearly played a much more athletic game and noticeably better defense, all going back to the athletes other teams have. To be honest, we have too many "shooters" and just not enough team quickness.

It fitting!
well lol.. the problem also is our "shooters" were chocking half the game... frederick almost airballs a 3... joe W airballs a wide open 3.

If your shooters cant shoot then that isn't going to work

well lol.. the problem also is our "shooters" were chocking half the game... frederick almost airballs a 3... joe W airballs a wide open 3.

If your shooters are choking half the game, they better be able to defend when they aren't knocking down their shots. We can point a finger at poor shooting all day, but the defense simply isn't there. You can't expect to simply outscore your opponent. Games are won and lost every bit as much on the defensive side of the ball. If our shooters are going to miss 24 footers they better be able to figure out how to contest a layup or three on the other end. We simply don't do that.

When shooting is the most important thing being looked at from the top of the roster to the bottom of it, this is exactly what were going to continue to get.

Hell, four of Oregon's players didn't have any problem shooting today or dunking on us. That after a 10 day layoff! They ran circles around Iowa today, while Iowa was lost on offense just trying to get an open shot if they couldn't get it into Garza.

Well I agree with ya. Oregon's shooters shot well against us and dunked on us. LOL.

Fredrick doesn't have the same quickness and confidence he had before his "lower leg injury". Nunge was our best defender in the lane. The rest of the group was able to somewhat tighten up the man to man D against average teams, but we just didn't have the athletes to compete defensively against top teams. Next year should have better defense because our slowest players are leaving.

If your shooters are choking half the game, they better be able to defend when they aren't knocking down their shots. We can point a finger at poor shooting all day, but the defense simply isn't there. You can't expect to simply outscore your opponent. Games are won and lost every bit as much on the defensive side of the ball. If our shooters are going to miss 24 footers they better be able to figure out how to contest a layup or three on the other end. We simply don't do that.

This. I've always said that if a team plays good defense, they will at least be in every game with a chance. A team is going to have periodic days when shots aren't falling. Defense is always more consistent than shooting %, that is if all players buy into it and give total effort. They will be in every game.

It’s not about defensive coaching it’s about recruiting athletes plain and simple. We have three guards that are slow, white and undersized. Do you honestly think Conor, CJ or JBo would get even 5 minutes playing time on a team like Oregon? If we want to beat the best teams in the country then we have recruit well rounded athletes not just guys that can get hot and shoot the three when nobody guards them. How many times in the history of the dance have three starting guards scored 0 points in a game with no injuries? That tells the whole story about this team.

It’s not about defensive coaching it’s about recruiting athletes plain and simple. We have three guards that are slow, white and undersized. Do you honestly think Conor, CJ or JBo would get even 5 minutes playing time on a team like Oregon? If we want to beat the best teams in the country then we have recruit well rounded athletes not just guys that can get hot and shoot the three when nobody guards them. How many times in the history of the dance have three starting guards scored 0 points in a game with no injuries? That tells the whole story about this team.

JBo might get 5 minutes in games where they are down big and need a bunch of quick 3s. He might get like 3 minutes in games where they were up 12 and needed a good FT shooter.

I'm not disagreeing with you... just saying if you are trying to outscore people and your shooters do that ... aint going to work.

It was apparent from the opening tip that Oregon had decided, we're better athletes than they are, let's just go at 'em. They did. Game.

Last edited:

Just my two cents, but isn't it easier shooting the ball when your team is making stops? I don't play basketball at a higher level, but if it's me I think I'm more relaxed shooting the ball knowing if we miss on a few straight possessions or go on a drought we aren't going to have to dig ourselves out of hole.

I'm completely on board about recruiting diverse players, but I think its as much about athleticism as it is skill set. I'm not saying athleticism isn't an issue, but you need slashers, mid range shooters, etc... a team of spot up shooters (no matter how skilled they are) are not going to get it done if they face adversity or a team that can take them out of their rhythm.

Just my two cents, but isn't it easier shooting the ball when your team is making stops? I don't play basketball at a higher level, but if it's me I think I'm more relaxed shooting the ball knowing if we miss on a few straight possessions or go on a drought we aren't going to have to dig ourselves out of hole.

I'm completely on board about recruiting diverse players, but I think its as much about athleticism as it is skill set. I'm not saying athleticism isn't an issue, but you need slashers, mid range shooters, etc... a team of spot up shooters (no matter how skilled they are) are not going to get it done if they face adversity or a team that can take them out of their rhythm.

To add to your point, it doesn't matter how good of a shooter one is, if they aren't athletic enough to get open in Div 1 basketball. The other teams are going to guard that. We've seen that against athletic teams against Iowa. If Iowa has issues getting the ball into Garza, they totally struggle getting an open look the rest of the possession. They look kind of lost.

To be fair to Iowa and coaches though, Iowa has had some horrible lower extremity injuries to players that have contributed, though. Frederick, Weiskamp. I mean Jo Bo had two hip surgeries, so he's not to the level he was prior to his issues, and understandably so. I can understand why he has difficulty moving laterally with that.

yeah its easier to shoot when you are ahead for sure...

less pressure

With the exception of Garza, this group represents the same level of talent Fran has recruited all ten years at Iowa. Adding the POY made them only slightly better, but still no B10 championship or any kind of NCAA run.