Did we have a TO?

I didn't think we did, but we had no time to call a timeout, and still get a good shot off. The shot was a good one, just didn't go in.....

Why would you call timeout and let NW set their defense. I think it's way easier to get a good shot in a scramble situation. Shot wasn't bad, it just didn't go in.

Why would you call timeout and let NW set their defense. I think it's way easier to get a good shot in a scramble situation. Shot wasn't bad, it just didn't go in.

To get a better shot with a designed play. Especially after our last poss. where we dribbled around and then threw it out of bounds. Moot point though there weren't any time outs

To get a better shot with a designed play. Especially after our last poss. where we dribbled around and then threw it out of bounds. Moot point though there weren't any time outs

With some teams maybe, but not with this one and especially not the way this game had gone. Did you watch our half-court attempts? They were better off with the unorganized scramble style. And that look was really good. I'm sure the Fran's not complaining about the shot Ogs got on that possession.

Iowa got a fantastic look for the last shot. They almost got the OREB with a chance for a putback. In that situation you take the first open shot you can take, otherwise you risk the chance that you just fire up a prayer. Josh had a GREAT look and almost buried it.

With some teams maybe, but not with this one and especially not the way this game had gone. Did you watch our half-court attempts? They were better off with the unorganized scramble style. And that look was really good. I'm sure the Fran's not complaining about the shot Ogs got on that possession.
Bingo.

Q. [FONT=&quot]Did you like that look that Josh got at the end?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] COACH McCAFFERY: Yeah, you couldn't ask for anything better. You could kind of see the play unfold. They miss. Here we come. They don't know if we're going to take a 2 or we're going to shoot a 3. But Josh just ran to the right spot. I thought he did a great job. I thought it was in.[/FONT]

Q. The first opportunity in his college career Josh has had a situation like that. What did you say to him afterwards?
[FONT=&quot] COACH McCAFFERY: I didn't say anything to him. I would tell him to shoot it again. That's exactly what he was supposed to do. And I love him. He's going to be great.[/FONT]

Bingo.

Q. [FONT=&quot]Did you like that look that Josh got at the end?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] COACH McCAFFERY: Yeah, you couldn't ask for anything better. You could kind of see the play unfold. They miss. Here we come. They don't know if we're going to take a 2 or we're going to shoot a 3. But Josh just ran to the right spot. I thought he did a great job. I thought it was in.[/FONT]

Q. The first opportunity in his college career Josh has had a situation like that. What did you say to him afterwards?
[FONT=&quot] COACH McCAFFERY: I didn't say anything to him. I would tell him to shoot it again. That's exactly what he was supposed to do. And I love him. He's going to be great.[/FONT]
Thanks Stormin' I was going to bring this over, but I was too lazy. :D

I agree with most here, calling a time out would have been the last thing that we would have wanted to do. Josh just missed an open shot, likely a shot that he makes over 50% of the time, so the odds were in our favor...just did not fall.

I would have called a TO before Cartwright jumped in the air and threw the ball into the cheap seats. You could just tell nothing was happening on offense (he didn't know what to do) on that play and Fran needed to set something up, imo. Jimmy Jackson pointed out the entire game that when Cartwright was indecisive (often) turnovers occurred.

I had no problem at all with the shot or the shooter...it was a good look for the win and done with time for an offensive rebound and put back for overtime...it just didn't happen...c'est la vie.

The shot by Oglesby was good, but he had a better one available had he pump faked and took a dribble in for a pull up. Oglesby had a guy running right at him, this is by no mean a knock on the shot he took, just a little different perspective. There was plenty of time to shot fake and take a dribble in.
One thing that Josh did do was get the shot off with plenty enough time for an offensive rebound, so it did give Iowa another opportunity with White having a great shot at the rebound and put back.

The only thing that bothered me toward the end of the game was how there was too much dribbling and not much ball movement, it happens. This team came back again after getting down by double digits, you can't ask for much more, it will pay off in the end.

If he pump fakes I'm not sure we have enough time for the rebound. Either way I will take that shot all day everyday for him. We had a chance and thats all you can ask for after the meltdown we had.

If he pump fakes I'm not sure we have enough time for the rebound. Either way I will take that shot all day everyday for him. We had a chance and thats all you can ask for after the meltdown we had.

I totally agree, it is a double edged sword in that scenario...I will take the shot all day as well. Just pointing out that he did have another option, but no real complaints on the shot he took.

I totally agree, it is a double edged sword in that scenario...I will take the shot all day as well. Just pointing out that he did have another option, but no real complaints on the shot he took.

Dude, you are a complete moron and idiot for arguing with me... Totally kidding. Good posts :)

Exactly - I'm starting to think calling a timeout in those situations may not be a great strategy. Almost every team does it and what do they get for it if not a desperation 3 from 25 feet out with a hand in their face? Sometimes it may be bettter to attack the opposing team's D before they can get set.

Iowa got a good shot at the rim, but unfortunately it just didn't go in (as always).

NW is a pretty good defensive team. I would not want to give them a chance to set up a defense. We got a very good look. Just didn't go in.

Latest posts