Did MN just actually hurt Iowa?

I

ILHawk

The win over MN diminished? Don't think so. Still need several wins over the top teams to get in.

Maybe but Clones winning at Baylor tonight helped more. Iowa's RPI will go up, win over ISU looks better.
Baylor was a bubble team that had theirs burst and now Iowa's resume looks better than Baylor's.

Minnesota has quality wins and we need to finish above them in the conference. I truly believe that whichever team finishes highest among Iowa, Minnesota or Illinois goes to the Ball......

Minnesota has quality wins and we need to finish above them in the conference. I truly believe that whichever team finishes highest among Iowa, Minnesota or Illinois goes to the Ball......

I really wish that were true. I'm afraid it is not.

I don't think it hurts us. In the perfect world they lose a couple really close games and we go 4-1 to finish above them.

People put too much stock in conference standings. The committee is going to realize that Iowa was fortunate in only playing MSU, OSU, Illinois and Michigan once.

Illinois is virtually a lock for the tourney. It doesn't matter where they finish in the standings because of their quality wins. Assuming they don't go on some 5 game losing streak or something.

Maybe but Clones winning at Baylor tonight helped more. Iowa's RPI will go up, win over ISU looks better.
Baylor was a bubble team that had theirs burst and now Iowa's resume looks better than Baylor's.

Watched some of that fiasco. Baylor a horrible team that plays zero defense. Can't believe anyone had them on the bubble. Just shows some of the so called experts just don't watch many teams play.

Illinois is pretty much a lock already, they will be in whether we finish ahead of them or not.

Nothing hurt, Minny SOS was 2 and RPI was 15 that loss doesn't hurt Iowa...if Iowa loses that hurts Iowa...well to anyone not named Indiana that is.

I really wish that were true. I'm afraid it is not.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. If memory serves me correctly, there was a year (I think it was the Davis era) where Iowa finished tied for 5th in the B1G and missed the Dance. But the other 5th place team(s) made it. There is precedence for finishing high in the B1G and missing the dance.

GO HAWKS!!!

As long as Minny stays in the RPI Top 50, it will help Iowa.

^ this

Them dropping out of the top 25 of the RPI hurts a little (I believe this is measured) but keeping Minnesota in the top 50 is huge.

So to answer the op's original question, no, Minnesota's loss last night did not hurt. It is no secret they are a horrible road team and I am sure they were still reeling a tab over their beat down in Carver.

Nothing really hurts nor helps us at this point. We control our own destiny in that the only ways we're going to the dance are a) winning out, or b) getting to the Big Ten Tourney championship game. We're not in a good enough position to be worrying about other teams.

NCAA College Basketball BPI Rankings - ESPN

I know BPI doesn't matter and its some stupid ESPN formula. But I like where it has the Hawks. Play in game against Stanford, LaSalle, or Maryland. I could certainly live with that. I think that would be fun. Control your own destiny to get in, and then play a 5 seed.
I know it doesn't matter, but fun to look at.

Nothing really hurts nor helps us at this point. We control our own destiny in that the only ways we're going to the dance are a) winning out, or b) getting to the Big Ten Tourney championship game. We're not in a good enough position to be worrying about other teams.

Yes we do control our own destiny but I do not believe Iowa will either win our or win the BTT. I do believe Iowa can get an at large without accomplishing either of those things happening. The teams Iowa has beat being in the top 100 and top 50 impacts the RPI, so these games do matter.

Latest posts