Did MN just actually hurt Iowa?

Yes we do control our own destiny but I do not believe Iowa will either win our or win the BTT. I do believe Iowa can get an at large without accomplishing either of those things happening. The teams Iowa has beat being in the top 100 and top 50 impacts the RPI, so these games do matter.

I hope you're right. I don't share your optimism, based on everything I've read. Perhaps my post was a tad dramatic, but I do believe this: we won't get in unless we win @IU, or beat either Michigan, MSU or IU in the tourney.

Maybe but Clones winning at Baylor tonight helped more. Iowa's RPI will go up, win over ISU looks better.
Baylor was a bubble team that had theirs burst and now Iowa's resume looks better than Baylor's.

Well that worked out well....6 spot drop. You can't just look at Iowa and their head to head opponents in a bubble, the RPI is a bit more sophisticated than an abacus.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. I don't share your optimism, based on everything I've read. Perhaps my post was a tad dramatic, but I do believe this: we won't get in unless we win @IU, or beat either Michigan, MSU or IU in the tourney.

Hawks need to beat 2 and maybe 3 of those type teams to get in unless there aren't many bubble teams. And beat the bottom feeders.

Do not believe everything you read from these "experts". If Iowa was that far out of the tournament then most bracketologists would not have Iowa on the bubble already. Remember last year how all the "experts" had us not even getting into the NIT, for all the same reasons (bad RPI, soft non conference)? Then once the NIT got announce not only was Iowa in but in as a 7 seed, which means they were not even the last 4 in.

The committees job is to get the best 37 at large teams into the tournament. I get tired of people saying how the committee "punishes" schools for having a soft non conference, get the best 37 teams in! If you look at Iowa's body of work since conference play it is impressive. All the close games proves Iowa can play with just about anybody in the country. After the regular season is over Iowa will have played 13 games against the top 100, 19 games against the top 150 RPI.

For comparison purposes take a look at Saint Mary's, a team most bracketologist have on the bubble or in the tournament.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings - ESPN

Then compare that to Iowa:

Can you see how close Iowa is already? I might be a "fan-actic" but when I compare those 2 teams but I have a hard time putting Saint Mary's into the tournament over Iowa. Their best wins are over BYU, Santa Clara, and Harvard, they have only played 2 games against the top 50, Gonzaga, and they got blown out by them at home. Not to mention they lost to UNI, a team Iowa has beaten, and Gonzaga has lost to Illinois (a team Iowa might beat). Oh and their non conference schedule sucks as well (ranked 214) and 16 of their wins come against teams with an RPI higher than 150. Granted they do not have many bad losses but neither does Iowa.

Most of you may not believe me but it is going to be tough for the committee to pass on a team that finishes .500 or above in the toughest conference.

Do not believe everything you read from these "experts". If Iowa was that far out of the tournament then most bracketologists would not have Iowa on the bubble already. Remember last year how all the "experts" had us not even getting into the NIT, for all the same reasons (bad RPI, soft non conference)? Then once the NIT got announce not only was Iowa in but in as a 7 seed, which means they were not even the last 4 in.

The committees job is to get the best 37 at large teams into the tournament. I get tired of people saying how the committee "punishes" schools for having a soft non conference, get the best 37 teams in! If you look at Iowa's body of work since conference play it is impressive. All the close games proves Iowa can play with just about anybody in the country. After the regular season is over Iowa will have played 13 games against the top 100, 19 games against the top 150 RPI.

For comparison purposes take a look at Saint Mary's, a team most bracketologist have on the bubble or in the tournament.

Can you see how close Iowa is already? I might be a "fan-actic" but when I compare those 2 teams but I have a hard time putting Saint Mary's into the tournament over Iowa. Their best wins are over BYU, Santa Clara, and Harvard, they have only played 2 games against the top 50, Gonzaga, and they got blown out by them at home. Not to mention they lost to UNI, a team Iowa has beaten, and Gonzaga has lost to Illinois (a team Iowa might beat). Oh and their non conference schedule sucks as well (ranked 214) and 16 of their wins come against teams with an RPI higher than 150. Granted they do not have many bad losses but neither does Iowa.

Most of you may not believe me but it is going to be tough for the committee to pass on a team that finishes .500 or above in the toughest conference.

Keep reaching bro.

Like what you're preaching but not sure if the committee is listening. :)

Like what you're preaching but not sure if the committee is listening. :)

I could care less, you be the committee and tell me what you see. When the committee selects the 37 Iowa is not competing against Illinois or Minnesota, they will be comparing Iowa's tournament resume against teams like Saint Mary's.

People put too much stock in conference standings. The committee is going to realize that Iowa was fortunate in only playing MSU, OSU, Illinois and Michigan once.

Illinois is virtually a lock for the tourney. It doesn't matter where they finish in the standings because of their quality wins. Assuming they don't go on some 5 game losing streak or something.

Finally some other people on here realize this. Great post.

People put too much stock in conference standings. The committee is going to realize that Iowa was fortunate in only playing MSU, OSU, Illinois and Michigan once.

Illinois is virtually a lock for the tourney. It doesn't matter where they finish in the standings because of their quality wins. Assuming they don't go on some 5 game losing streak or something.

I think it was actually unfortunate that we didn't go to play OSU and Michigan twice. I would have loved to get both those teams in Iowa City, I think we beat OSU for sure at home and with the way Michigan is playing since Jordan Morgan went out, we would have a good chance at them too. The schedule robbed us additional chances for major wins.

So when the committee is comparing Iowa's resume to the other bubble teams (St Mary's, Cal, Kentucky, Virginia, ect ect) Iowa is going to get knocked by the committee because they only played Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, and Michigan State once? Basically Iowa would be better off playing in the SEC like Kentucky where they only have to play Florida twice or in the West Coast where a team like Saint Mary's only has to play Gonzaga twice.

I will say this again, it does not matter what happens to Illinois or Minnesota. Come selection time the only way Iowa is going to get compared to either of those schools is if they are on the bubble (right now neither are). Iowa's resume is going to be compared to the other bubble teams from other conferences, against most teams that never had to play Michigan, MSU, or Indiana even once.

Watched some of that fiasco. Baylor a horrible team that plays zero defense. Can't believe anyone had them on the bubble. Just shows some of the so called experts just don't watch many teams play.
Baylor has 3 NBA players on the team, but also has a Div III head coach on the staff.

Just like last year, Baylor will underachieve all year until the Big12 Tourney and NCAA tourney.

So when the committee is comparing Iowa's resume to the other bubble teams (St Mary's, Cal, Kentucky, Virginia, ect ect) Iowa is going to get knocked by the committee because they only played Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, and Michigan State once? Basically Iowa would be better off playing in the SEC like Kentucky where they only have to play Florida twice or in the West Coast where a team like Saint Mary's only has to play Gonzaga twice.

I will say this again, it does not matter what happens to Illinois or Minnesota. Come selection time the only way Iowa is going to get compared to either of those schools is if they are on the bubble (right now neither are). Iowa's resume is going to be compared to the other bubble teams from other conferences, against most teams that never had to play Michigan, MSU, or Indiana even once.

I agree with this to an extent but I will add this. The committee will be a lot more lenient if they are looking at Iowa as the 7th team in as opposed to the 8th. For this reason I hope Minnesota plays their way completely out of the picture.

I agree with this to an extent but I will add this. The committee will be a lot more lenient if they are looking at Iowa as the 7th team in as opposed to the 8th. For this reason I hope Minnesota plays their way completely out of the picture.

No, they really won't. Why do people keep thinking this? Given the same resume, 7th or 8th makes no difference.

They will look at the conference record but how many teams the B1G already has in the tournament is irrelevant. Two years ago they put 11 teams in the tournament from the Big East.

Last edited:
I'm sure its way down the list of things and they might say it doesn't matter at all but I'm sure subconsciously it factors in. Iowa's resume might not be good enough to set a new record on big 10 teams in the dance but it might be good enough to keep there from only being 6 teams from the best conference.

They will look at the conference record but how teams the B1G already has in the tournament is irrelevant. Two years ago they put 11 teams in the tournament from the Big East.

Let's say it comes down to Iowa and st mary's for the last spot. They are going to dissect every game from both teams first maybe that's not enough to make a decision. If the big 10 already has 7 teams in they might think a team would need a pretty darn good resume to justify putting 8 teams in for the first time ever. But if there was only 6 teams in that could be enough for them to pick Iowa.

Again I get that picking teams based on conference standings isn't part of the process but when it comes down to splitting hairs between 2 teams, how could that not come into play at all?

Say Minnesota and Illinois both lose out and play themselves completely off the bubble and Iowa wins the ones they're supposed to win and get on the bubble. If its 50/50 on whether or not they should get in, they will be hard pressed to keep them out knowing it would mean the big 10 only gets 5 teams in. Of course if Iowa never plays themselves onto the bubble the committee will be forced to only take 5 teams.

Bubble major teams get in before bubble mid-major teams...I complain about this every year. Iowa is fighting other high-major teams for a spot.