Did MN just actually hurt Iowa?

Let's say it comes down to Iowa and st mary's for the last spot. They are going to dissect every game from both teams first maybe that's not enough to make a decision. If the big 10 already has 7 teams in they might think a team would need a pretty darn good resume to justify putting 8 teams in for the first time ever. But if there was only 6 teams in that could be enough for them to pick Iowa.

Again I get that picking teams based on conference standings isn't part of the process but when it comes down to splitting hairs between 2 teams, how could that not come into play at all?

It does not come into play at all. There is no max or minimum amount of teams that get into the tournament as an at large.

There is no max or minimum amount of teams that get into the tournament as an at large.

Say what? After you take away the number of conference winners who get automatic bids, the rest are at large bids, and it is a set number, 37.

It does not come into play at all. There is no max or minimum amount of teams that get into the tournament as an at large.

Of course there is no min or max number. If a computer decided who gets in I would agree that it doesn't come into play. But humans do it and humans can be swayed by common sense. If only 5 big 10 teams were in (this year), and a 6th was on the bubble, common sense says to put them in because the big 10 deserves more than 5 teams (this year).

I think its a bit short sided to think the people making the decisions can't be swayed on a close decision by something like this.

They will look at the conference record but how many teams the B1G already has in the tournament is irrelevant. Two years ago they put 11 teams in the tournament from the Big East.

I bet they didn't just blindly put in that 11th team. I'm sure a conversation came up that went something like "do we really want to put the 11th big east team in over so and so?". They obviously decided it was the right thing to do but I bet that big east team had a slightly better resume then the team that got left out.

Think about it. Are they going to Iowa over another team equally deserving if Iowa is the 6th and final team in from the big 10?e Maybe, maybe not. Are they going to set a new record by putting Iowa in as the 8th team over an equally deserving team? I highly doubt it. Imagine the controversy that would cause. Picking the other team would be the easy way out.

I certainly hope the team is not allowing themselves to get embroiled in this endless discussion. I hope (and assume) that they are looking at the schedule and feeling they have to win them all to be included in the dance. In the end, that's all that really matters.

I certainly hope the team is not allowing themselves to get embroiled in this endless discussion. I hope (and assume) that they are looking at the schedule and feeling they have to win them all to be included in the dance. In the end, that's all that really matters.

I kind of hope they are getting involved. Sometimes the games have an appearance that they really don't care.

No way Illinois wins at Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa. We finish ahead of them and go to the dance......

Just my opinion, same as it ever was.....

:cool:

No way Illinois wins at Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa. We finish ahead of them and go to the dance......

Just my opinion, same as it ever was.....

:cool:

I agree with that. Illinois is due to go cold again. Their defense isn't good enough to defeat teams when they aren't shooting well.

Of course there is no min or max number. If a computer decided who gets in I would agree that it doesn't come into play. But humans do it and humans can be swayed by common sense. If only 5 big 10 teams were in (this year), and a 6th was on the bubble, common sense says to put them in because the big 10 deserves more than 5 teams (this year).

I think its a bit short sided to think the people making the decisions can't be swayed on a close decision by something like this.

I bet they didn't just blindly put in that 11th team. I'm sure a conversation came up that went something like "do we really want to put the 11th big east team in over so and so?". They obviously decided it was the right thing to do but I bet that big east team had a slightly better resume then the team that got left out.

Think about it. Are they going to Iowa over another team equally deserving if Iowa is the 6th and final team in from the big 10?e Maybe, maybe not. Are they going to set a new record by putting Iowa in as the 8th team over an equally deserving team? I highly doubt it. Imagine the controversy that would cause. Picking the other team would be the easy way out.

No one would cry over the B1G getting 8 teams in the tournament, just like no one cried over it when the Big East got 11 in. Everyone understands the B1G is the best conference this year.

The conversations you think are happening cannot be proved and you have no evidence that is what goes on. What we do know is the committee looks at data, RPI, SOS, Last 10 games, ect ect. In all my years of watching selection Sunday I have never heard someone from the committee have to defend why a conference got so many bids. The best conferences always gets the most at large selections and that is the way it should be.

Do not believe everything you read from these "experts". If Iowa was that far out of the tournament then most bracketologists would not have Iowa on the bubble already. Remember last year how all the "experts" had us not even getting into the NIT, for all the same reasons (bad RPI, soft non conference)? Then once the NIT got announce not only was Iowa in but in as a 7 seed, which means they were not even the last 4 in.

The committees job is to get the best 37 at large teams into the tournament. I get tired of people saying how the committee "punishes" schools for having a soft non conference, get the best 37 teams in! If you look at Iowa's body of work since conference play it is impressive. All the close games proves Iowa can play with just about anybody in the country. After the regular season is over Iowa will have played 13 games against the top 100, 19 games against the top 150 RPI.

For comparison purposes take a look at Saint Mary's, a team most bracketologist have on the bubble or in the tournament.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings - ESPN

Then compare that to Iowa:

Can you see how close Iowa is already? I might be a "fan-actic" but when I compare those 2 teams but I have a hard time putting Saint Mary's into the tournament over Iowa. Their best wins are over BYU, Santa Clara, and Harvard, they have only played 2 games against the top 50, Gonzaga, and they got blown out by them at home. Not to mention they lost to UNI, a team Iowa has beaten, and Gonzaga has lost to Illinois (a team Iowa might beat). Oh and their non conference schedule sucks as well (ranked 214) and 16 of their wins come against teams with an RPI higher than 150. Granted they do not have many bad losses but neither does Iowa.

Most of you may not believe me but it is going to be tough for the committee to pass on a team that finishes .500 or above in the toughest conference.

Like your style, Kelley, wouldn't it be nice to see Penn State get their first win at the battery throwers place.....

My initial reaction at comparing St. Mary's is that they haven't played a tough schedule like Iowa has, at least in terms of comparison with the top. When you look more closely what really stands out is how bad our early schedule really was.

That is a huge problem. Will they overlook that?

hmmm.

Do not believe everything you read from these "experts". If Iowa was that far out of the tournament then most bracketologists would not have Iowa on the bubble already. Remember last year how all the "experts" had us not even getting into the NIT, for all the same reasons (bad RPI, soft non conference)? Then once the NIT got announce not only was Iowa in but in as a 7 seed, which means they were not even the last 4 in.

The committees job is to get the best 37 at large teams into the tournament. I get tired of people saying how the committee "punishes" schools for having a soft non conference, get the best 37 teams in! If you look at Iowa's body of work since conference play it is impressive. All the close games proves Iowa can play with just about anybody in the country. After the regular season is over Iowa will have played 13 games against the top 100, 19 games against the top 150 RPI.

For comparison purposes take a look at Saint Mary's, a team most bracketologist have on the bubble or in the tournament.

Then compare that to Iowa:

Can you see how close Iowa is already? I might be a "fan-actic" but when I compare those 2 teams but I have a hard time putting Saint Mary's into the tournament over Iowa. Their best wins are over BYU, Santa Clara, and Harvard, they have only played 2 games against the top 50, Gonzaga, and they got blown out by them at home. Not to mention they lost to UNI, a team Iowa has beaten, and Gonzaga has lost to Illinois (a team Iowa might beat). Oh and their non conference schedule sucks as well (ranked 214) and 16 of their wins come against teams with an RPI higher than 150. Granted they do not have many bad losses but neither does Iowa.

Most of you may not believe me but it is going to be tough for the committee to pass on a team that finishes .500 or above in the toughest conference.

The NIT favors major conferences heavily, let's face it the only people that watch are the fans of the teams in it so they try to make more money by having teams with more fans for TV and attendance at the games.

The they beat them who beat them who beat them could make for a lot of national champions every year--maybe not last year though because Kentucky raped the world but generally. That logic just does not work.

I agree that Iowa has a similar if not better resume than St. Mary's. I'm not sure .500 would do it but 10-8 most likely would. If Iowa goes .500 they will need one in the BTT.