Did Dish Network just drop BTN?

Iowatailgate

I have DirecTV, so I can't verify any of this. I could have sworn last week, I read that Dish and BTN came to an agreement. Apparently it was only a week long agreement because the Big 10 Network just released this info:

"As of September 14th, BTN’s distribution agreement with Dish expired despite our best efforts to finalize an agreement. We are disappointed that Dish does not see the value in the network in the same way that so many of their customers do, including Big Ten students, alumni, fans and viewers across the country who continue to pay Dish for a channel they no longer receive."

So those of you with Dish Network better make the trip to Kinnick because apparently you no longer have BTN.

That sucks for Dish customers.

Good news if you live local...tickets for this game are selling for face value or less, and the ticket office still has seats available. If you don't live within a reasonable drive, then you better find a bar.
I'd be calling Dish first thing in the morning and threaten to cancel to receive a huge monthly discount, or cancel altogether. As much as people dislike the BTN, I would die without being able to watch nearly all the Iowa games.

Ha, and people will argue that dish's equipment makes up for the poor service they put out. They have way less channels that are worth watching.

That sucks for Dish customers.

Good news if you live local...tickets for this game are selling for face value or less, and the ticket office still has seats available. If you don't live within a reasonable drive, then you better find a bar.
I'd be calling Dish first thing in the morning and threaten to cancel to receive a huge monthly discount, or cancel altogether. As much as people dislike the BTN, I would die without being able to watch nearly all the Iowa games.

Who dislikes BTN? I love it. It has been great for the Big Ten and for Iowa. The only thing I don't like about it is the non-conference basketball coverage.

Ha, and people will argue that dish's equipment makes up for the poor service they put out. They have way less channels that are worth watching.
Haha this will make it very hard for BTN to negotiate will direct now. This is not good for direct customers either. No doubt direct is licking their chops at being the only satellite provider carrying the BTN. They will certainly turn the screw hard next spring when the contract is up. My guess is if dish doesn't sign with BiG the damage to profits will be significant. Less providers is very bad for the BTN. This will affect direct customers as well now that they are the only show in town.

Haha this will make it very hard for BTN to negotiate will direct now. This is not good for direct customers either. No doubt direct is licking their chops at being the only satellite provider carrying the BTN. They will certainly turn the screw hard next spring when the contract is up. My guess is if dish doesn't sign with BiG the damage to profits will be significant. Less providers is very bad for the BTN. This will affect direct customers as well now that they are the only show in town.
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/50033-dish-network-gonzo.html

It will be interesting to see what DTV does. When the BTN started, Fox, who owns a big stake of the BTN, also owned 41% or thereabouts of Directv. In 2008, Fox sold that stake of Directv and no longer owns any of it.

I know of at least 5 separate households that are trying to find an alternate service provider so that they can get switched over this coming week....the exodus from Dish will not be pretty. Big Ten country is not happy. They've managed to unite an entire conference and all alumni...against them....

DirectTV subscribers you guys are next when your contract expires with BTN.
BTN basically held Dish Network hostage using the fans as leverage right at the start of football season, when they could have worked this out in June trying to force DISH to increase their rates on the service they are providing. Dish has said no to that they aren't raising their package rate higher then what the NFL network or Golf network or other sports packages charge. BTN is making it look like Dish is the bad guy when they refused to raise their rates - So BTN pulled the plug.

"The Big Ten’s record haul comes despite the payout from the wildly successful Big Ten Network coming in less than last year. In 2011, Big Ten schools received $7.9 million from the network; this year, that total will drop to “just” $7.2 million. A 22-percent increase in its television deals, however, more than offset that dip in network payouts."
Big Ten’s per-member payout this year? Nearly $25 million | CollegeFootballTalk

See but that's the thing that ticks me off about cable/satellite...you should be able to have it ala carte....I would pay through the nose for BTN....but I don't need 60% of all this other crud that Dish forces me to pay for....can you imagine if other industries did this?

And Dish acts like "we're trying to do the right thing!" No if you were doing the right thing people would begin to get credits back right away.

I just called dish and all I was able to get was a 50 dollar refund...and no guarantees about next week....does anyone know price comparisons between the big ten network tier at and dish and directv's tier with BTN in it? Thanks:)

Dish customers make sure to call and complain...hopefully we will have the channel back by next week again if everyone calls.

Last edited:
See but that's the thing that ticks me off about cable/satellite...you should be able to have it ala carte....I would pay through the nose for BTN....but I don't need 60% of all this other crud that Dish forces me to pay for....can you imagine if other industries did this?

And Dish acts like "we're trying to do the right thing!" No if you were doing the right thing people would begin to get credits back right away.

Agree you would think BTN could put together some special shows and programming with features on coaches and players, instead just games from the 80's and 90's that we've all seen over and over again.

I just called dish and all I was able to get was a 50 dollar refund...and no guarantees about next week....does anyone know price comparisons between the big ten network tier at and dish and directv's tier with BTN in it? Thanks:)

Dish customers make sure to call and complain...hopefully we will have the channel back by next week again if everyone calls.

You could get the Multi-Sports package from Dish for $9 a month which includes BTN. Call them back and tell them your going to drop them and maybe they'll offer the Multi-Sports package to try out for a couple months for free ?

Latest posts