Did AROB get a concussion in 4th quarter?

Having ARob in with a 31 point lead was idiotic - same goes for Stanzi. I don't care who our coach is... that's a stupid decision.

Rob Howe tweeted this morning that ARob was sent home from practice yesterday due to the concussion he suffered on Saturday.

Couple that with the tweet from HawkeyeReport yesterday saying that ARob was not accessible to the media following the game on Saturday or yesterday and it appears that he did in fact suffer a concussion and I would guess is doubtful for Saturday.

iahawk72

What are the NCAA guidelines for concussions? Is there a minimum that a players has to sit out or is it up the the training staffs after evaluation?

I saw him on campus this morning & he was riding CJ Feds moped backwards. He was wearing a red Nike sneaker & a brown dress shoe & had his jacket on inside-out. I asked him where is we off to & he replied, YES. Kind of strange.

Not nearly as strange as the two live chickens he was toting around with him.

But, I think he is alright.

they discussed this on KXNO matt and miller yesterday--- regarding robinson being out of practice and no media access--- leave the kid out this week, practice very minimal and have no one tackle him and take saturday off, Indiana's rush defense is worst than Michigan's if i recall correctly(if that's even possible LOL) and let coker run it out and stanzi air it out..... no need to risk any additional injury, NW and OSU are two of our last HUGE games so we need Robinson healthy.

This was also echoed on the show, which just seems to make sense, i'm comfortable enough with coker, also they discussed good ole reliable Paki O'Meara....

If he did in fact suffer a concussion on that play late in the game, that's just a poor, poor decision to leave him in the game that late.

Very poor.

If he did in fact suffer a concussion on that play late in the game, that's just a poor, poor decision to leave him in the game that late.

Very poor.

I agree.

Plus we should have been throwing the ball more to make sure that he didn't get hurt running the ball. :)

Jon, I couldn't agree more. In fact I think he was re-inserted in the game at one point after Coker had been getting the bulk of the carries.

I suspect that we will see Coker and Rogers getting the 'skin in Bloomington on Saturday. If I had to bet I would guess that ARob won't even dress although he might travel.

You don't want to mess around with concussions which is why I am shocked that Persa appears to be playing at PSU on Saturday. Reports are that he suffered one last Saturday.

iahawk72

Very poor.

Very poor.

I agree. It is also a chance to get a young back-up RB some reps when you know your team is thin at that position. It is so crucial to take advantage of that with a big lead in the Big10. I don't get it. You know your RB is getting overworked & is pretty much the only RB with experience.

Get the other guy in & let him get some licks so he learns how to hang onto the ball in the Big10. Do this so he is prepared when he is needed, such as this week.

This coaching staff has always been known for being well prepared & so analytical, but uncharacteristically, they have been caught with their pants down on a couple occasions this year.

How dare you question the decisions of this coaching staff! Why can't you just be happy with a win!? :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously though, yes, many of us did not want us to 'roll over' when we were only up 14 against PSU. But to then leave the starters in in the 4th when up 30 against MSU shows a head-scratching lack of consistency by the coaches, as it was pretty obvious that MSU wasn't coming back.

I went back to look at this situation in more detail and I may have softened my stance a little.

In fairness to the staff it looks like ARob only had 2 carries very early in the 4th quarter. The first carry was the one he fumbled on and the second carry was the next play that he lost 2 yards on. That drive started with 14:56 left in teh 4th Q and ended with 11:03 which means that ARob left the game with approx 13 minutes plus left.

In fact, in the 2nd half of the ARob carried the ball 7 times (5 in the 3rd Q and 2 in the 4th Q) while Marcus Coker carried the ball 14 times (5 carries in the 3rd Q and 9 carries in the 4th Q).

There is nothing there that screams blantantly poor coaching decision.
iahawk72

Seriously though, yes, many of us did not want us to 'roll over' when we were only up 14 against PSU. But to then leave the starters in in the 4th when up 30 against MSU shows a head-scratching lack of consistency by the coaches, as it was pretty obvious that MSU wasn't coming back.

Don't tell that to the idiot Iowa fans booing when we are up 31 because we weren't passing the ball.

If you watch the replay of the game, watch him in the huddle after he fumbled in the fourth quarter. It appears he either got hurt or he got his bell rung.

If you watch the replay of the game, watch him in the huddle after he fumbled in the fourth quarter. It appears he either got hurt or he got his bell rung.

Possible cause of the fumble, a la Shonn Greene vs. Northwestern?

Don't tell that to the idiot Iowa fans booing when we are up 31 because we weren't passing the ball.

A couple guys near me were downright angry during the last half of the 4th quarter. Both that we weren't throwing the ball, and that we were letting MSU throw 7 yd slants. "MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT!!!"

We were beating the #5 team in the country by 31 pts. Some people are never happy.

I went back to look at this situation in more detail and I may have softened my stance a little.

In fairness to the staff it looks like ARob only had 2 carries very early in the 4th quarter. The first carry was the one he fumbled on and the second carry was the next play that he lost 2 yards on. That drive started with 14:56 left in teh 4th Q and ended with 11:03 which means that ARob left the game with approx 13 minutes plus left.

In fact, in the 2nd half of the ARob carried the ball 7 times (5 in the 3rd Q and 2 in the 4th Q) while Marcus Coker carried the ball 14 times (5 carries in the 3rd Q and 9 carries in the 4th Q).

iahawk72

I realize there was a quarter to play, and Iowa is thin at back. But the guy had amassed 100 carries in his previous 15 quarters before those two fourth quarter carries, and that has to be among the most for any back in the nation.

Very poor.

Not to pick nits here but the decision to keep Robinson in the 4th while up by a large margin is a questionable one regardless of the result. I agree with your intended point 100% though.

iahawk72

AROB got pulled because he got his bell rung. If he didn't would have still have been in the game? Will never know but considering Stanzi was still taking all the snaps AROB might have still been receiving carries. Again will never know.

What are the NCAA guidelines for concussions? Is there a minimum that a players has to sit out or is it up the the training staffs after evaluation?

It's up to the medical staff to decide. There's a heavy emphasis on gradual return to play once a kid passes clinical tests (memory etc). There's no minimum time frame as far as I know.

I'm not sure it was a "stupid" decision to keep starters in until the start of the 4th. Put it in context. We were beating a team who managed to score 35 points (if I remember right) on NU after being down 17 at the half. Couple that with the fact that the entire fan base was b*tching that Ferentz doesn't keep his foot on opponents' throats if we have more than a two TD lead. I can see why they made that decision.

Latest posts