Devyn Marble

I think his fundamentals have improved but it is more a lack of consistency and not always playing with tenacity (needs to watch him some Joe W and Baer film) and sometimes a lack of basketball smarts. PLUS the guy just can't make a jump shot to save his life despite his form looking great. I don't see how any of that is a coaching issue. Getting better though and one more year he might put it all together, but alas don't see it happening in a Hawk uniform.
For the most part, you are either a shooter or not, have touch or not, confidence or not. If not, you and the coaches need to get it into the hands of the shooters. (More Wieskamp, Garza, Kriener shooting) Cook can still be a very important part of a winning team but he needs to learn what to do and not do. Perhaps the coaches can coach him up a bit to help without harming the chances to be a championship caliber team. Actually, I feel sorry for him, in that he just can't make a basket and is afraid to shoot a jump shot, zero confidence.

Like it Devyn. Have to agree with him. Sure it's frustrating we are inconsistent, BUT Fran, and his teams, fight hard most of the time. Here's hoping this win turned a corner for us. We ARE young, and as great as TC is, IF he comes back next year, this team is LOADED, almost too loaded, especially with Frederick and Nunge red-shirting.

You're a good poster, deserving of respect. But don't ever again complain about too much talent. ;)

I think his fundamentals have improved but it is more a lack of consistency and not always playing with tenacity (needs to watch him some Joe W and Baer film) and sometimes a lack of basketball smarts. PLUS the guy just can't make a jump shot to save his life despite his form looking great. I don't see how any of that is a coaching issue. Getting better though and one more year he might put it all together, but alas don't see it happening in a Hawk uniform.

Cook has alot on the line. He is playing trying to earn a payday that athletically he has a real shot. His interior feeds and ability to find open shooters has improved immensely. His dribble has improved. He still forces the action too much. He doesn't have that perfect 6th sense of when to push and when to go. Rampant inconsistencies of officiating even within the same game probably doesn't help much in dialing that in.

Still the thing that is holding him back is that damned jumper. Teams sag him once he gets going and bait him into driving into the teeth of the D. The confidence to pull up anywhere inside the arc and splash it would open his dribble drive game to a new level. He's really got to figure that shot out.

For the most part, you are either a shooter or not, have touch or not, confidence or not. If not, you and the coaches need to get it into the hands of the shooters. (More Wieskamp, Garza, Kriener shooting) Cook can still be a very important part of a winning team but he needs to learn what to do and not do. Perhaps the coaches can coach him up a bit to help without harming the chances to be a championship caliber team. Actually, I feel sorry for him, in that he just can't make a basket and is afraid to shoot a jump shot, zero confidence.

Kriener a shooter? I’ve seen him make a few, also seen him shoot some off the glass way right/left better shooter than cook but I wouldn’t rely on his shooting

Cook is supper quick around the hoop on offense so he draws a ton of fouls. I wish and hope he can get his free throw average to between 70-75% to make the opposition pay for fouling him. Would also be awesome if he can cut his turnovers in half. That would be wonderful for Iowa and his future! His quickness got Michigan's front line players (Bigs) in foul trouble early on Friday night.

Did you see his stats? Do you know how much he frees up Garza and JW?
He has really improved his passing this year. And rebounding. And ability to draw fouls. And ability to stay out of foul trouble. And wouldn't it be something if teams had to double Garza and pay extra attention to Moss and Wiescamp and it left Cook one on one against the other teams second or third best defender?

Last edited:
I've seen several turnovers happening on the entry passes where our bigs are put in a bad position to do anything with it or even to catch it cleanly. Are these turnovers charged to the bigs or the guy making the pass?

I would be interested in hearing Devyn and Melsahn's takes on last year's team. I have been watching Iowa basketball for forty plus years and hope I never see another one like it again. Not the record, but the way they gave up and packed it in night after night.

For the record, I have complemented players like Jarryd Cole and Eric May and Gatens for sticking it out when many did leave, when assistant coaches did have to participate in practice. Melsahn, Devyn and McCabe too. They are all true Hawkeyes in my book. I would love to hear just what happened last year. We may never know. At least one player (Bohannon) has come forth and said he can't put his finger on it. But this year is different in both talent and mindset and perhaps they learned a hard lesson or two from last year.

I would be interested in hearing Devyn and Melsahn's takes on last year's team. I have been watching Iowa basketball for forty plus years and hope I never see another one like it again. Not the record, but the way they gave up and packed it in night after night.

For the record, I have complemented players like Jarryd Cole and Eric May and Gatens for sticking it out when many did leave, when assistant coaches did have to participate in practice. Melsahn, Devyn and McCabe too. They are all true Hawkeyes in my book. I would love to hear just what happened last year. We may never know. At least one player (Bohannon) has come forth and said he can't put his finger on it. But this year is different in both talent and mindset and perhaps they learned a hard lesson or two from last year.
Once it starts going sideways, it is tough to get back on track, especially for teams that lack high end talent and have to do well based on fundamental, team basketball. Such teams don't have that extra gear of talent to call upon to right the ship. Self doubt, learning to lose, overtakes the team like a tsunami. And if the team doesn't have a proven leader on the court or on the sidelines, where do you look to right the ship? The players are quietly and timidly folding, and the coach is going psycho. Not a happy ending, it was.

Riding the wave of a quality win is all. This is no different than when current players take to the Instagram accounts saying “Relax” or “you with us or without us” it’s that weak sauce mentality. Fran has a long way to go to get fans to buy in. That’s a fact. I know many season ticket holders that didn’t renew going into this season after last years debate.

I’m a huge fan of Iowa sports and will continue to be. I’m just not impressed with Mr. McCaffrey.

Last edited:
Carver was sold out for Michigan a week after the disappointing home loss at almost sold out arena against Michigan State followed by a lackluster performance at Minnesota.

If the fans had checked out on this team and program, that wouldn't be the case.

Latest posts