Devyn Marble

Carver was sold out for Michigan a week after the disappointing home loss at almost sold out arena against Michigan State followed by a lackluster performance at Minnesota.

If the fans had checked out on this team and program, that wouldn't be the case.
Carver will rock when the team on floor does. I've never had issues with the arena itself. It was loud for Illinois when Isaiah and Joe got rolling. Posters have said it was a definite factor against Michigan. It was affecting both teams accordingly. Great home atmosphere.

I hope to come down for Rutgers, senior night. That should be a good atmosphere too.

Your English aint good either

I agreed, and I preffered that he put in a clean program which I like, I don't care how he win. I can't complain.
I am expecting more from Fran after several years at the helm. It isn't complaining, just higher expectations now that he has been given ample time (and contracts) to recruit and coach.

Michigan is a great win, keep it up, become winners, exorcise the demons!

I’m not sure how great Tyler Cook is I’m beginning to wonder..

TC wasnt on the court late against Mich because of his free throw shooting and possibly because he loses the ball a lot. I would love to see TC go on a 18 point 10+ rebound a game streak. Not sure if he can get a triple double with assists.

Last edited:
I don't know of a single player to bad mouth Fran. That includes the kids who have transferred

Toward the end I don’t think the Uthoff relationship was all that great.......that’s all I could come up with and that was just rumor/speculation, no really hard evidence.

Concur, an athlete seldom seen at Iowa.

Have his basketball fundamentals improved during his 3 years of Iowa coaching?

If not, why? Solutions?

His main weakness I believe is he fumbles the ball around or messes up catching the ball or dribbling. He is not a very good ball handler. His FT % has improved some, his jump shot has not improved enough, he doesnt seem relentless on the boards at times, I cant remember his back to the basket play as a frosh but it is pretty good now.

Only comparing him to other players

His main weakness I believe is he fumbles the ball around or messes up catching the ball or dribbling. He is not a very good ball handler. His FT % has improved some, his jump shot has not improved enough, he doesnt seem relentless on the boards at times, I cant remember his back to the basket play as a frosh but it is pretty good now.

Very impressive left hand dunks and short shots. Could improve percentages of course. To me, he just seems to play nervous and with anxiety, trying too hard. I wonder how is he is shooting the jumpers in practice. I'll bet he is a lot better, struggling to produce the same in live action.

Very impressive left hand dunks and short shots. Could improve percentages of course. To me, he just seems to play nervous and with anxiety, trying too hard. I wonder how is he is shooting the jumpers in practice. I'll bet he is a lot better, struggling to produce the same in live action.

Interesting thought on the nervousness, playing with anxiety. I think he just plays too fast some times. notice how when he gets a defensive board opponents know to strip the ball because they have TC on tape look to outlet and if in a split second he doesnt see the pass he has the ball down at his waist ready to dribble. Opponents steal it from him plenty in this situation.

Good coaching would have him look at film of Wes Unseld, all american, all pro who would grab the rebound and keep it above his head to pass it downcourt.

TC looks to play too fast sometimes driving to the hoop also.

I've seen several turnovers happening on the entry passes where our bigs are put in a bad position to do anything with it or even to catch it cleanly. Are these turnovers charged to the bigs or the guy making the pass?

I believe the TO is charged to the passer. There are quite a few times that it would be better Not to pass the ball into intense coverage. Last season we did that all the time, especially Tyler. This season Tyler had that aspect under control but lately, it seems that he has regressed in that aspect.....

While watching the Michigan game, the thought crossed my mind that Tyler has been hampered by the two ankle injuries, consciously and subconsciously.....

We cannot afford to have him sitting on the bench with another ankle injury despite the fact that we won 2 games without him on the floor.....

He probably should shoot at least 100 free throws after practice every day. He is nailing about 68% of his free throws, and was much better early in the season. Lately, he has missed a few. His turnovers and free throws are quite correctable. The team has to help out and get open to receive a pass when he is surrounded. Someone has to be open when 2/3 opponents are in his area.....

Interesting thought on the nervousness, playing with anxiety. I think he just plays too fast some times. notice how when he gets a defensive board opponents know to strip the ball because they have TC on tape look to outlet and if in a split second he doesnt see the pass he has the ball down at his waist ready to dribble. Opponents steal it from him plenty in this situation.

Good coaching would have him look at film of Wes Unseld, all american, all pro who would grab the rebound and keep it above his head to pass it downcourt.

BB, QB, Golf, Pitching, Tennis, et. al....slow down, slow down the thinking...do better. When it becomes reflexive, without too much "think" one can calm down and rely upon what has already been.

He is just an anxious player, perhaps putting too much pressure on himself to do well for the NBA.

If you are tall and strong, which Cook is, if you bring the ball down, you make it available to everyone.

And please don't dribble so much, it is counter productive.

You don't want an anxious player to get too many touches. It will harm the team.

Perhaps in the NBA he will find some good professional mentor/coach who can make him a good player with a future. I would love to see him do well, but he isn't just a "carry the team" type of player most of the time.

This was the exact problem that plagued Cordell Pemsl last year. He would get in too much of a rush with the ball. How many times did Cordell fumble a pass or dribble the ball off his leg or get a rebound stripped from him, all because he was pressing or getting in too much of a hurry?

It is called Rhetoric. But yeah, whatever oh great wise one...

ahhh yeah, Rhetoric 10:1, 10:2, or 10:3 where you ended up was based on your English component of your ACT/SAT score. That was like 30 years ago, do they still do that?

ahhh yeah, Rhetoric 10:1, 10:2, or 10:3 where you ended up was based on your English component of your ACT/SAT score. That was like 30 years ago, do they still do that?
ahhh yeah, Rhetoric. Those 8:15 am walks to the English Philosophy Building four times a week in subzero cold!

ahhh yeah, Rhetoric. Those 8:15 am walks to the English Philosophy Building four times a week in subzero cold!

Yep. I had a bunch of hot chicks in my Rhetoric class so those cold walks were worth it. :)

I was a 10:1/10:2 guy so I am in no position to judge Devyn Marble's tweet.

Yep. I had a bunch of hot chicks in my Rhetoric class so those cold walks were worth it. :)

I was a 10:1/10:2 guy so I am in no position to judge Devyn Marble's tweet.
Eye candy wasn't bad in my Rhetoric class either. I definitely went the 10:1/10:2 route. Then Intrepretation of Literature. Then American Lives. Then God knows what.

I have a diploma in my downstairs office, I do know that. I think it's in the safe.

Reactions: trj
Eye candy wasn't bad in my Rhetoric class either. I definitely went the 10:1/10:2 route. Then Intrepretation of Literature. Then American Lives. Then God knows what.

I have a diploma in my downstairs office, I do know that. I think it's in the safe.

Interpret of Lit. That brings back memories, I wrote a line in a term paper that went as follows: "The sky is blue because blue is the sky." And the professor(not the TA) thought it was the most brilliant thing ever. I remember thinking this is bullshit, but every Liberal Arts major{open major) had to take the class.

:

I think we all love TC and none of us are bad mouthing him. REALLY(!) appreciate the fact he is a Hawkeye and chose to become one of our higher profile recruits in years and want nothing but the best for him, hoping he realizes his NBA dream. But are NBA teams really thinking he is ready now? Sure appears he would be pissing in the wind thinking he would make a roster next year. But he seems determined to find out and will get paid something to play next year. Will have to reluctantly wish him the best of luck knowing one more season would do both him and the Hawks a BIG favor.

I think we all love TC and none of us are bad mouthing him. REALLY(!) appreciate the fact he is a Hawkeye and chose to become one of our higher profile recruits in years and want nothing but the best for him, hoping he realizes his NBA dream. But are NBA teams really thinking he is ready now? Sure appears he would be pissing in the wind thinking he would make a roster next year. But he seems determined to find out and will get paid something to play next year. Will have to reluctantly wish him the best of luck knowing one more season would do both him and the Hawks a BIG favor.
If TC can improve as much from the e d of this year to next as he did from last to this, he will be a first rounder. If he doesn’t grade out in the first round, he should come back, His defense especially his ability to guard smaller quick guards is leaps and bounds better than last year as is his passing ability and ball handling. It’s jot where it needs to be but the trajectory is there. He needs to do those things then just own who he is. He needs to play like Jordyn Murphy or Reggie Evans. He will never be a shooter. He has the ability to be the energetic defense/rebounder and make a space for himself in the NBA doing so. When he owns that for Iowa, Iowa is a better team. When he forces it into the lane and takes jump shots it hurts Iowa. It cost Iowa big time in the WI game and vividly in the waning moments at MN.

If you are not seeing TC doubled frequently, you have not been watching the games. Sorry.
They haven't been double teaming until he drives then they bring a defender over to draw a charge. Teams are playing him strait up on the perimeter. In fact they are picking up the cutters with doubles.

I’m not sure how great Tyler Cook is I’m beginning to wonder..

If he was he'd be in the NBA right now. He's probably the most exciting and athletically gifted player Iowa has had in a long time but he has an incomplete game (not a great jump shot, turns the ball over alot, really good playing with his back to the basket but not so much facing the basket).

Latest posts