Deusce Hogan In Portal

I took it as him joking that if the Hawks were down to their 3rd string QB we might as well stay home because it's really bad. I'm sure that's how he intended it and I'd imagine that's how Hogan took it.

TBH I think fans are making it a way bigger deal that what it is (like normal)

100% agree. But, it read very poorly when I first read it. And it wasn't framed with a "whataboutHogan?" in the article. I thought it out of character for Kirk to not 'catch' that it could come out that way. He's usually pretty metered. But, I also don't read into him not catching it. Dude's team just snatched victory from defeat in rather tumultuous fashion. I'd have said soooo many things I'd later regret.

100% agree. But, it read very poorly when I first read it. And it wasn't framed with a "whataboutHogan?" in the article. I thought it out of character for Kirk to not 'catch' that it could come out that way. He's usually pretty metered. But, I also don't read into him not catching it. Dude's team just snatched victory from defeat in rather tumultuous fashion. I'd have said soooo many things I'd later regret.
Kirk's gotten pretty emotional on the sidelines the last 5 years and pretty snarky in pressers (besides that's football comments).

Oh....I don't have a problem with it at all in terms of the player making the move. It's the way it is....

I don't hold it against the players one bit. It's the way it is. I just kinda wish it weren't...
Then why are you against it if there's no valid reason? There has to be something you feel strongly about that you want kids to stay put.

Kirk's gotten pretty emotional on the sidelines the last 5 years and pretty snarky in pressers (besides that's football comments).
He's definitely gotten looser in the tongue. Which is great, IMO.

--Minnesota, figured we'd leave the timeouts here...

--Making fun of Scott Frost about ClapGate...

--Subtly calling out the NCAA when "random" drug tests are dropped at 5:30AM on a practice and school day, and how all but two of the "randomly selected" kids were on the two-deep...

He's definitely gotten looser in the tongue. Which is great, IMO.

--Minnesota, figured we'd leave the timeouts here...

--Making fun of Scott Frost about ClapGate...

--Subtly calling out the NCAA when "random" drug tests are dropped at 5:30AM on a practice and school day, and how all but two of the "randomly selected" kids were on the two-deep...
Never heard about pee-gate. When did that happen?

Then why are you against it if there's no valid reason? There has to be something you feel strongly about that you want kids to stay put.

I suppose....in a nutshell, because I worry about football.
Along with every other stock in the exchange, football is overvalued. Which means, the payoff value of starting as QB for 2 years is overvalued. Again, nothing wrong with someone trying to grab the brass ring. The ring is there. For now...

-College, as a whole is a massive bubble at the moment and facing enormous change in the coming years. It's already underway.
-College athletics is walking a financial tightrope.
-Who knows the longterm impact of NIL....it could help. It could hurt college athletic financing.
-CTE has changed the paradigm of parents (high school and youth football participation numbers have been falling since 2008).

If I'm buying stock, I'm not buying football except as short term revenue shares. Sure, there's soft landings possible. As participation contracts, the smaller colleges give up on it, or outright go under. Leaving enough players for larger schools that actually generate the money. But if any of that revenue ever starts getting dissipating...

Or post secondary education crashes hard, while it will still have some of the same soft landings, there's just no telling what chaos may emerge.

There's a lot of ways football as we know it could crash right along with it. Or on it's own. People say it's too big to fail. Yeah, well....find the average person on the street who can name a boxer that isn't a former Youtube star. Boxing was king...worldwide....for a century.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I'll either be dead by the time it happens, or football will be pretty low on my list of worries if it somehow happens that fast.

Along with every other stock in the exchange, football is overvalued. Which means, the payoff value of starting as QB for 2 years is overvalued. Again, nothing wrong with someone trying to grab the brass ring. The ring is there. For now...

-College, as a whole is a massive bubble at the moment and facing enormous change in the coming years. It's already underway.
-Who knows the longterm impact of NIL....it could help. It could hurt college athletic financing.
-CTE has changed the paradigm of parents (high school and youth football participation numbers have been falling since 2008).

If I'm buying stock, I'm not buying football except as short term revenue shares. Sure, there's soft landings possible. As participation contracts, the smaller colleges give up on it, or outright go under. Leaving enough players for larger schools that actually generate the money. But if any of that revenue ever starts getting dissipating...

Or post secondary education crashes hard, while it will still have some of the same soft landings, there's just no telling what chaos may emerge.

There's a lot of ways football as we know it could crash right along with it. Or on it's own. People say it's too big to fail. Yeah, well....find the average person on the street who can name a boxer that isn't a former Youtube star. Boxing was king...worldwide....for a century.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I'll either be dead by the time it happens, or football will be pretty low on my list of worries if it somehow happens that fast.
Literally none of those things you listed has anything to do with, nor are they affected by, whether a college player transfers or not.

At your admitted age...and assuming you don't care what people think of your opinion...why can't you just come out and say that you dislike transferring for selfish, nostalgic reasons. I'm guessing you're part of the old school mentality that college players should be under the thumb of coaches, and have no say in their own benefit. I'm also guessing that you don't want to admit it because you know that the servant/master dynamic of the "golden age" is discriminatory at best, and indentured servitude at worst.

You even admit in your posts that you're against student-athletes transferring and that there's no reason other than "nostalgia" and your own longing for the old timey ideals. But...you're euphemizing your position. The reason you really want student athletes to be prevented from transferring is because you want the old way back. You want athletes to be the pseudo property of the rich guys running the sport(and watching, and buying tickets), and you feel that's the way it should be. Man up and call it what it is.

No you don't. That's bullshit. You worry about young adults having an advantage over the old rich guys running the rackets.

Absolutely nothing to do with athletes transferring. Most if not all athletes transferring are non-elite players looking for playing time and most will never see a pro field. They want the opportunity to go somewhere where they can use what skills they have in pursuit of a dream (playing college football). You want to quash that.

Could not be further from the truth. Covid caused a small hiccup, and it's business as usual now. Sports that cannot support themselves are walking a tightrope, but they should be. Amateurism is dead, and football teams should not have to support pool jumping and monkey bar contests.

What in god's name does CTE have to do with whether athletes transferring is harmful to sports? You are absolutely so far out into left field that Ted Williams couldn't hit you

You need to either go back to the drawing board, or admit that your mental gymnastics have failed and you're just a believer in the good ol' boy indentured servitude model.

Hogan's timing was iffy when he signed with Iowa. With Petras being named the new starting QB as only a sophomore, it was always the case that Hogan would be warming the bench for at least three years. I felt from day one that he'd probably end up transferring. I wish him the best and hope he gets to play somewhere.

my wife is friends w/ deuce's mom on FB and she made a lengthy post about his decision to transfer. It was stated he was not transferring due to lack of playing time but rather what was said in the presser. However it was very clear from reading her post playing time most certainly played a big part in the decision and the presser was just the nail in the coffin. i live near grapevine, tx and went to watch one of deuces HS games after he committed to the Hawks. Was hoping it would work out better than it did but i can't fault any player for wanting to play. It would also be really hard to play for a coach who makes a comment publicly like Kirk did. I hope deuce finds a new home and wish nothing but the best for him and his future.

my wife is friends w/ deuce's mom on FB and she made a lengthy post about his decision to transfer. It was stated he was not transferring due to lack of playing time but rather what was said in the presser. However it was very clear from reading her post playing time most certainly played a big part in the decision and the presser was just the nail in the coffin. i live near grapevine, tx and went to watch one of deuces HS games after he committed to the Hawks. Was hoping it would work out better than it did but i can't fault any player for wanting to play. It would also be really hard to play for a coach who makes a comment publicly like Kirk did. I hope deuce finds a new home and wish nothing but the best for him and his future.

^^This^^.

Of course playing time played into the decision. I think that if one was only taken back by the comment that it would take a little longer to decide to enter the portal. It wouldn't happen the next day.

The guy is hundreds of miles from home and sitting 3rd on the depth chart. I completely get it. Why live that far from home, work your butt of practicing, to only sit on the bench. I completely get the decision. Makes perfect sense to live closer to home in that situation and seek a team you can possibly compete on. An Iowa transplant to Texas in that situation would prob due the same.

Literally none of those things you listed has anything to do with, nor are they affected by, whether a college player transfers or not.

At your admitted age...and assuming you don't care what people think of your opinion...why can't you just come out and say that you dislike transferring for selfish, nostalgic reasons. I'm guessing you're part of the old school mentality that college players should be under the thumb of coaches, and have no say in their own benefit. I'm also guessing that you don't want to admit it because you know that the servant/master dynamic of the "golden age" is discriminatory at best, and indentured servitude at worst.

You even admit in your posts that you're against student-athletes transferring and that there's no reason other than "nostalgia" and your own longing for the old timey ideals. But...you're euphemizing your position. The reason you really want student athletes to be prevented from transferring is because you want the old way back. You want athletes to be the pseudo property of the rich guys running the sport(and watching, and buying tickets), and you feel that's the way it should be. Man up and call it what it is.

You're still not quite getting me. I'm 100% good with any of them for transferring.
It would happen very infrequently if all those other things didn't exist.

The value/potential payoff of being a starting quarterback (or other player)....even for the ones who will not make the NFL....is still far higher than it was X years ago. Because the value of football is far higher than it was X years ago.

Since that value is far higher, the demand for transfers is far higher. I have no problem with the demand matching the value. I just wish the value wasn't so high. Because when things get overvalued, that's a bubble. Bubbles can burst.

I have a problem with the egg (the overvaluation of football).
Not the chicken (athletes transferring).
The egg came first in all this. The chicken is the response. No problems with the response.

You're still not quite getting me. I'm 100% good with any of them for transferring.
It would happen very infrequently if all those other things didn't exist.

The value/potential payoff of being a starting quarterback (or other player)....even for the ones who will not make the NFL....is still far higher than it was X years ago. Because the value of football is far higher than it was X years ago.

Since that value is far higher, the demand for transfers is far higher. I have no problem with the demand matching the value. I just wish the value wasn't so high. Because when things get overvalued, that's a bubble. Bubbles can burst.

I have a problem with the egg (the overvaluation of football).
Not the chicken (athletes transferring).
The egg came first in all this. The chicken is the response. No problems with the response.
You're talking in circles.

I'm a moron. Explain for me how athletes transferring will cause this bubble you're talking about to potentially burst.

I want to know what reasoning you're using (other than Fed-speak vaguery) to decide that athletes being free to transfer will burst a financial "bubble."

Don't speak in generalities, use specifics. How is athletes being able to transfer creating false value, and how would athletes being able to transfer cause it to burst. Give us an example.