Deuce Hogan...

I also think it's a tad too soon for Deuce to his the road. If he's any good we should start getting a feeling for it with spring ball, let's see if KF or BF mentions his name.

Last year was such a weird year with the virus it would've been almost impossible for Deuce to come in and beat out Petras, who already had two years in the program.

Deuce's first challenge is to rise to #2 QB and beat out Padilla.

Learning the Iowa playing book????? A third grader could have it memorized in three weeks.

If it wasn’t for the current and last defensive coordinators Kirk would back in the NFL coaching the offensive lines. “Uggg, hit big guy!! Push out of the way!!!”
You may want to familiarize yourself with the old adage from Abraham Lincoln..."Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then speak and remove all doubt."

Iowa's QBs and center are responsible, at the line of scrimmage, for everything. WR's are also, in many cases, responsible for understanding coverages and route trees based on that. There is no coming to the line of scrimmage, looking to the sidelines to get direction from a coach on what the defense is showing...then executing what you are told.

If you haven't been paying attention...the line blocking schemes are varied and the pass play selections are complex. Let me ask you...in the 5 years with Greg Davis...do you remember alot of receivers running wide open? No, we complained incessantly about separation and the lack thereof...and all the short flat routes. Over the past three years...we've schemed guys wide open all over the place. If you want to complain about our completion percentage on deep wide open guys...fine...our QBs haven't thrown the deep ball great...but we have guys open...and it's formation and scheme that's doing it.

You think BF didn't know Wisconsin's safety wasn't great in coverage and is primarily a run stopper. Isolating him with ISM twice for touchdowns was all scheme and formation. Brilliant stuff and Petras hit him thank god.

Last edited:
Not sure what Fry has been drinkin' or smokin', but lumping Rudock in with Christensen, saying when they were playing Iowa was stinking up the joint and losing games?! That may be one of the nuttiest things I've ever seen on an Iowa board of any type. Petras was solid this year, but it was also noticeable and I think significant near the end of the season when at a regular presser KF went out of his way to praise Padilla and his progress -- when no one asked him to. Sometimes gotta read between the lines. If Padilla or Hogan is better than Petras, he'll play. The Ferentz' are loyal and a bit stubborn, but they're not dumb. And they have a proven history of replacing QB starters, both times with positive results.

Agreed. When Petras was on, he looked really, really, really good. It's hard to ignore that. But when he was off, whoa boy. Jake Christensen 2.0. It's also hard to ignore that.

Yes and he really looked much better the last 5 1/2 games than the first 2 1/2 roughly so that shows growth and ability and skills that were there. I wish he could run a 4.5 or so.

I think the next step for KF/BF as far as having a new 2.0/3.0 added to their evolving as coaches would be to see if they'd have the balls to bench a QB like Petras for an under classmen that hasn't played yet. I mean how much better in practice would say Hogan have to look compared to Petras for that to happen?

All I know is Petras didn't set the world on fire with his extended stint as a starter and there should be room for competition in the spring. It'd be lazy for the staff to just go into day 1 of camp with Petras taking 80% plus of the snaps and being entrenched. I'm not convinced he's earned that. But that's just me

I live in Flower mound tx. Home of Matt Hankins and 15 minutes from DH's hometown of Grapevine. I went and watched both play in HS after they committed to iowa. DH is no way a "dynamic" QB. He is much closer to Nate Stanley than is to CJ Beathard. I actually called him NS 2.0 after i watched him play. And that's not at all mean't to be a knock on the kid either. Nate won a ton of games at iowa. I just wouldn't call him dynamic.

I believe he's going to get a fair shot this spring. From everything we've all heard regarding "how difficult it is for a new QB to pick up on iowa's offense", DH needs some time to learn the system. He didn't get that time last year w/out spring ball and basically no training camp. Hopefully iowa has spring ball this year and Hogan will get his opportunity. It'll definitely be interesting to see where he lands in the depth chart after fall camp but i for one don't see him transferring before then.
Very good intel. Thank you.

Iowa has been very lucky with injuries at the QB position over the years. Obviously, I hope that continues --but if Hogan rises to #2 on the depth chart that is a strong incentive to stick around. Basically, you are one play away from starting.

Don't forget, he gets this last year as free, next year he can redshirt and still have 3 years if Petras starts the next 2. That's assuming DH can play good enough to start over any one else that's on the squad.

If you want to be taken seriously, lose the childish nicknames for Iowa's head coach.
Gotta think the kid's going to bail before next football season. He was super all-in on the Hawks ever since his recruitment days, and was as bold as it gets predicting that he was going to come in and make big waves. His last tweet back in June was him saying that he was signing off temporarily and his next tweet would be one announcing his draft declaration.

Kurt Farence has pretty much chosen Petras as his go to and we all know what the chances are of a returning starter at QB getting passed over. Hogan isn't a kid who's going to want to sit for two more years (3 straight), especially when Padilla is #2 on the depth chart.

I'm guessing he's gone before spring ball. Too bad he wasn't born two years later; he really sounds like he wanted to be a legacy Hawkeye and was 100% bought into the program.

If you want to be taken seriously, lose the childish nicknames for Iowa's head coach.
If you think my goal is to be taken seriously you are sorely mistaken, mi amigo.

You hang out on an internet board made up of hundreds of 40-70 year old guys who (myself included) spend thousands of hours and sometimes tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars watching and arguing over 18 year old kids playing games with bouncy balls.

And you’re gonna sit there and wax poetic about being “taken seriously?” LOL.

My man, if you can’t see the irony in what you just said I don’t know what I can do for you.

If you think my goal is to be taken seriously you are sorely mistaken, mi amigo.

You hang out on an internet board made up of hundreds of 40-70 year old guys who (myself included) spend thousands of hours and sometimes tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars watching and arguing over 18 year old kids playing games with bouncy balls.

My man, if you can’t see the irony in what you just said I don’t know what I can do for you.
OK. I get it. You don’t care if you are taken seriously. But before you became a moderator you consistently mocked KF by butchering his name. So we get it. You are still mocking him. Guess I will refer to you as a big “Frybaby”in the future. Don’t take me seriously.

Guess I will refer to you as a big “Frybaby”in the future. Don’t take me seriously.
I like it. It’s got a nice ring to it.

I’ll give you a solid C- for creativity. But don’t stress out over it, with my humor standards I very rarely hand out a B, and the only A I’ve ever given was when @HawkGold told me he was allowed to manage people’s money. That was Monty Python-level hilarious and I don’t think we’ll see something like that again in my lifetime.

Hey don't lump me in with all you geezers!

I live in Flower mound tx. Home of Matt Hankins and 15 minutes from DH's hometown of Grapevine. I went and watched both play in HS after they committed to iowa. DH is no way a "dynamic" QB. He is much closer to Nate Stanley than is to CJ Beathard. I actually called him NS 2.0 after i watched him play. And that's not at all mean't to be a knock on the kid either. Nate won a ton of games at iowa. I just wouldn't call him dynamic.

I believe he's going to get a fair shot this spring. From everything we've all heard regarding "how difficult it is for a new QB to pick up on iowa's offense", DH needs some time to learn the system. He didn't get that time last year w/out spring ball and basically no training camp. Hopefully iowa has spring ball this year and Hogan will get his opportunity. It'll definitely be interesting to see where he lands in the depth chart after fall camp but i for one don't see him transferring before then.

Interesting how DH tweeted a few things about coming in to compete for the starting job from day 1 and being fired up (which is fine) and people suddenly thought he was the next Drew Tate.

It would be so education and humbling to spend a week following BF around in meetings and on the practice field letting him explain the jargon and what they're doing. It would be the same for any P5 program. So much that we don't know much less understand.

Or maybe you can't see the irony in a moderator on an internet forum using childish nicknames. I don't remember Rob ever doing that.

Latest posts