Deuce Hogan...

Fryowa

Administrator
Gotta think the kid's going to bail before next football season. He was super all-in on the Hawks ever since his recruitment days, and was as bold as it gets predicting that he was going to come in and make big waves. His last tweet back in June was him saying that he was signing off temporarily and his next tweet would be one announcing his draft declaration.

Kurt Farence has pretty much chosen Petras as his go to and we all know what the chances are of a returning starter at QB getting passed over. Hogan isn't a kid who's going to want to sit for two more years (3 straight), especially when Padilla is #2 on the depth chart.

I'm guessing he's gone before spring ball. Too bad he wasn't born two years later; he really sounds like he wanted to be a legacy Hawkeye and was 100% bought into the program.

Gotta think the kid's going to bail before next football season. He was super all-in on the Hawks ever since his recruitment days, and was as bold as it gets predicting that he was going to come in and make big waves. His last tweet back in June was him saying that he was signing off temporarily and his next tweet would be one announcing his draft declaration.

Kurt Farence has pretty much chosen Petras as his go to and we all know what the chances are of a returning starter at QB getting passed over. Hogan isn't a kid who's going to want to sit for two more years (3 straight), especially when Padilla is #2 on the depth chart.

I'm guessing he's gone before spring ball. Too bad he wasn't born two years later; he really sounds like he wanted to be a legacy Hawkeye and was 100% bought into the program.
With all due respect, I'm just not sure it is possible to predict with accuracy on this one. I think Goodson in the wildcat a lot last season was a sign that Brian Ferentz knows he needs dynamic QBs who can run. Hogan could be that guy.

I do agree with you that if he doesn't beat out Petras in the spring, or at least gets a promise to share snaps, he will transfer.

Hogan reminds me of Beathard. Petras is Jake Rudock with a stronger arm. Beathard in 2015 was amazing when he scrambled (before the injuries). Just amazing. A mobile QB changes everything in college football.

Just my two cents.

Christensen and Rudock got passed up eventually and I didn't see much from Petras to suggest he's above that caliber of QB. Padilla being #2 I think is more about seniority than an actual statement. Is Padilla even 6 feet tall? I'm confident that Hogan has the talent and if he knows he has the talent he should want to stay and try to beat out Petras. Plus, you just never know with injuries when an opportunity will arise. He was a true freshman and true freshman QB's rarely play.

Christensen and Rudock got passed up eventually and I didn't see much from Petras to suggest he's above that caliber of QB. Padilla being #2 I think is more about seniority than an actual statement. Is Padilla even 6 feet tall? I'm confident that Hogan has the talent and if he knows he has the talent he should want to stay and try to beat out Petras. Plus, you just never know with injuries when an opportunity will arise. He was a true freshman and true freshman QB's rarely play.
It's not about him being a true freshman and not playing, it's about him being #3 on the depth chart and having a guy who's most likely a three year starter in front of him.

Ferentz has said multiple times that Petras is his guy. This isn't the era of Christensen and Rudock anymore, and unless Petras has an injury he's the guy for the next two years. When those two guys were playing the program was losing games and stinking the joint up, and Rudock was hated in the locker room. Petras gets a ton of support from his teammates and coaches in every press conference. Hogan isn't the type of personality to sit around and wait for an injury. If you look at his twitter, especially back when he was being recruited and had just committed, he's all about bursting onto the scene and making a splash to eventually play in the NFL. He knows it isn't in his best interest to have a three year gap in stepping on a football field and then try to step in and expect to play at a high level.

And seniority with Padilla??? Lol. When has Ferentz ever gone with seniority on a depth chart?

if he doesn't beat out Petras in the spring, or at least gets a promise to share snaps, he will transfer.
I don't see Kerk or Brain promising anything to player, let alone a snap quota. That isn't the way they operate. At Iowa you're a cog in the machine and if they think a cog isn't working you're going to get replaced.

Should there always be an open competition every Spring? Or will there always be an allegiance for the upper class men? I'm not the coach, but I'm thinking why wait. If Duece is better, get him in. I don't care who you are, where you came from, who's fucking record or records you may have beaten. We should always play the best

Should there always be an open competition every Spring? Or will there always be an allegiance for the upper class men? I'm not the coach, but I'm thinking why wait. If Duece is better, get him in. I don't care who you are, where you came from, who's fucking record or records you may have beaten. We should always play the best
I don’t think it’s ever a guaranteed thing, but Ferentz has said a whole bunch of times in interviews and pressers that they’re all in on Petras being the QB. He struggled a hell of a lot this year and kept the job, and unless he totally goes off the rails I don’t see KF replacing him.

I’m not saying Hogan sucks at all. Just that the timing was terrible and I don’t see him waiting three years on the bench just to play a couple, especially when Padilla was already getting the nod in the #2 spot.

Let's see what spring ball brings. Deuce wasn't even close to having a full off season to try to work his way in. From all accounts I read that the coaches were very impressed with him in practice and I think he has a shot at making a splash. I think Kirk has learned that you can't keep talent on the bench i.e. Goodson.

If Hogan is good enough he’ll rise. If not, he won’t. True freshman learning the Iowa playbook enough to surpass those that have been there done that would be very rare.

Hogan knew the situation coming in. If Petras doesn’t show improvement the door will open for an opportunity for someone else. I have no doubt some QB will transfer in the next year but that’s the norm these days.

Fry, unless you have some bona fide inside scoop I believe you're off base on this topic. Ferentz & company have been all in on Petras as respects 2020 and going into spring ball. I don't believe he's the anointed one if there is an obvious, superior alternative. Hawks had little chance to play anybody other than Petras or Padilla this past season. I'd lay money that if in fact Hogan is the superior qb coming out of spring ball and if he has a good grasp of the offense that he would displace Petras.

Ferentz is stubborn and loyal almost to a fault. However, he isn't stupid and he want to win. He most certainly wants to protect & enhance his legacy.

No preseason ball, no summer workouts to speak of nor any other opportunity for Hogan to display his talents other than working on the scout team. As I understand it he had zero snaps working with the Hawks' 1st or 2nd team. He doesn't know the offense.

Don't know if you're throwing gasoline on an imaginary fire for purposes of stirring the pot in hopes of increasing discussion on this board, or if you have some substantive info to lead you to your opinion.
In either event, I believe your opinion is premature. I do agree, however, that Hogan is probably not one to wait patiently if he feels he's not getting a fair shake.

Fry, unless you have some bona fide inside scoop I believe you're off base on this topic. Ferentz & company have been all in on Petras as respects 2020 and going into spring ball. I don't believe he's the anointed one if there is an obvious, superior alternative. Hawks had little chance to play anybody other than Petras or Padilla this past season. I'd lay money that if in fact Hogan is the superior qb coming out of spring ball and if he has a good grasp of the offense that he would displace Petras.

Ferentz is stubborn and loyal almost to a fault. However, he isn't stupid and he want to win. He most certainly wants to protect & enhance his legacy.

No preseason ball, no summer workouts to speak of nor any other opportunity for Hogan to display his talents other than working on the scout team. As I understand it he had zero snaps working with the Hawks' 1st or 2nd team. He doesn't know the offense.

Don't know if you're throwing gasoline on an imaginary fire for purposes of stirring the pot in hopes of increasing discussion on this board, or if you have some substantive info to lead you to your opinion.
In either event, I believe your opinion is premature. I do agree, however, that Hogan is probably not one to wait patiently if he feels he's not getting a fair shake.
You can believe I’m off base all you want. You have exactly the same amount of “scoop” as me which is zero. There’s no “fire” at all. I think he’s gonna transfer and I gave what I think are the reasons. No more, no less.

Welcome to message boards. Hot take wonderland.

Here is a hot take, with no inside info. KF, like any and all head coaches, will decide who starts based on his judgment, the evaluations of his O coordinator and his QB coaches, both of whom know more about talent evaluation than the entire membership of HN. In addition KF probably talks to his RB coaches and his receiver coaches, and his line coaches. Also gauges the views of the players. If they think Petras, Hogan, or Padilla is the best QB on the squad, that is who will start. KF showed confidence in Petras at the highest level in 2020 because that was the only logical choice. Re-evaluation will take place in the spring and maybe into the Fall.

Here is a hot take, with no inside info. KF, like any and all head coaches, will decide who starts based on his judgment, the evaluations of his O coordinator and his QB coaches, both of whom know more about talent evaluation than the entire membership of HN. In addition KF probably talks to his RB coaches and his receiver coaches, and his line coaches. Also gauges the views of the players. If they think Petras, Hogan, or Padilla is the best QB on the squad, that is who will start. KF showed confidence in Petras at the highest level in 2020 because that was the only logical choice. Re-evaluation will take place in the spring and maybe into the Fall.

Agreed. When Petras was on, he looked really, really, really good. It's hard to ignore that. But when he was off, whoa boy. Jake Christensen 2.0. It's also hard to ignore that.

There are only 65 P5 QB positions available and at least 195 candidates wanting to be starting QB. Of those 65 P5 teams how many of them have talent at the skill positions to make the QB successful? Transferring is a big risk unless your dropping out of a P5 program going to a directional program. If Hogan is the competitor some believe then he will overtake Petras regardless of the past season. Petras had at least two nfl draft worthy receivers in 2020. Without them the staff might have to reconsider a more mobile QB if Petras struggles to move the offense. Only time will tell.

With all due respect, I'm just not sure it is possible to predict with accuracy on this one. I think Goodson in the wildcat a lot last season was a sign that Brian Ferentz knows he needs dynamic QBs who can run. Hogan could be that guy.

I do agree with you that if he doesn't beat out Petras in the spring, or at least gets a promise to share snaps, he will transfer.

Hogan reminds me of Beathard. Petras is Jake Rudock with a stronger arm. Beathard in 2015 was amazing when he scrambled (before the injuries). Just amazing. A mobile QB changes everything in college football.

Just my two cents.
I live in Flower mound tx. Home of Matt Hankins and 15 minutes from DH's hometown of Grapevine. I went and watched both play in HS after they committed to iowa. DH is no way a "dynamic" QB. He is much closer to Nate Stanley than is to CJ Beathard. I actually called him NS 2.0 after i watched him play. And that's not at all mean't to be a knock on the kid either. Nate won a ton of games at iowa. I just wouldn't call him dynamic.

I believe he's going to get a fair shot this spring. From everything we've all heard regarding "how difficult it is for a new QB to pick up on iowa's offense", DH needs some time to learn the system. He didn't get that time last year w/out spring ball and basically no training camp. Hopefully iowa has spring ball this year and Hogan will get his opportunity. It'll definitely be interesting to see where he lands in the depth chart after fall camp but i for one don't see him transferring before then.

So...Hogan will still be essentially a true freshman. We know nothing about where he is, how he's performed...what he's good at, what he has mastered with the offense...yet he's gone. OK.

I'm pretty sure, if KF and BF are telling him it's an open competition and he legitimately has a chance to win the competition (it won't happen in the spring...but could in the fall)...then he ain't going anywhere. He seems like a pretty level headed young man...who isn't afraid of competition and believes in himself. I guarantee he's just focused on getting better.

We really haven't had any QB controversy in the Brian Ferentz era...or even before with CJ and Nate...and now Spencer. It's just been really clear who the best option was. Petras just had growing pains...as all QB's do. He's the definite front runner...that's for sure. Six in a row...wins at Penn State, and against Wisconsin...nixing some tough stretches against both of those teams. Petras deserves and has earned the #1 designation.

I will tell you, I anticipate some interesting discussion/comments from KF/BF in the Spring / Fall if Hogan makes a move or impresses. I think you have to let them compete...tell Petras it's not personal...but you have to give everyone an opportunity. It will make them both better.

If Hogan is good enough he’ll rise. If not, he won’t. True freshman learning the Iowa playbook enough to surpass those that have been there done that would be very rare.

Hogan knew the situation coming in. If Petras doesn’t show improvement the door will open for an opportunity for someone else. I have no doubt some QB will transfer in the next year but that’s the norm these days.
Learning the Iowa playing book????? A third grader could have it memorized in three weeks.

If it wasn’t for the current and last defensive coordinators Kirk would back in the NFL coaching the offensive lines. “Uggg, hit big guy!! Push out of the way!!!”