Deuce Hogan Tweet

I like his confidence, but DH is getting out over his skis a bit. He hasn't played a down yet and had a .433 completion rate last year...in high school.

but that's part of why i like it. he's a qb. i don't mind my qb having supreme confidence and saying so. if your qb is talking the talk and walking the walk, teammates will rally around that.

Yeah I don't mind it.
Just can't be to much like braska.
Maybe a better way to word it would have been, I'm coming to Iowa to play, OSU, Michigan, PSU and to show case what I can do in big games against good competition.

But you have to have some swagger.
You have to still be fighting as hard in the last play of a beat down as you were the first play.
"It's a game of inches, and when we add up all those inches.,...,..."

but that's part of why i like it. he's a qb. i don't mind my qb having supreme confidence and saying so. if your qb is talking the talk and walking the walk, teammates will rally around that.

Agreed.
How does Drummer feel about Muhammad Ali or Joe Namath before the super bowl? I want a team with 85 individuals, not a bunch of robot clones of the HC.

“For me it’s a lot more team oriented,” Hogan said. “Personally, I want to play in the NFL, that’s what it is and they’re a translatable system. My personal goal is to do what I need to do to get to the next level, then Big Ten records, Iowa records, that would be great. Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, that’s what I dream about. But I want to go, I want to win the Big Ten championship and get the opportunity to get to play in the College Football Playoff. There’s going to be big dogs we’re going to have to get through.

“I said I was a winner, but it’s very rare that I have the best team. We won the state title my freshman year and that team was truly great. But a lot of the times while I’ve grown up, the odds are not always in my favor. There’s nothing better than stepping into a hostile environment where you’re the underdog and coming out on top. That’s what I intend to do, win championships.”

https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/3138

Agreed.
How does Drummer feel about Muhammad Ali or Joe Namath before the super bowl? I want a team with 85 individuals, not a bunch of robot clones of the HC.

“For me it’s a lot more team oriented,” Hogan said. “Personally, I want to play in the NFL, that’s what it is and they’re a translatable system. My personal goal is to do what I need to do to get to the next level, then Big Ten records, Iowa records, that would be great. Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, that’s what I dream about. But I want to go, I want to win the Big Ten championship and get the opportunity to get to play in the College Football Playoff. There’s going to be big dogs we’re going to have to get through.

“I said I was a winner, but it’s very rare that I have the best team. We won the state title my freshman year and that team was truly great. But a lot of the times while I’ve grown up, the odds are not always in my favor. There’s nothing better than stepping into a hostile environment where you’re the underdog and coming out on top. That’s what I intend to do, win championships.”

and if iowa is going to reach its mountain top (whatever that is) you need a bold leader, in my opinion, because we will have to over achieve to a degree. AND....I still love petras' potential. it's gonna be one helluva battle. whoever wins will be a high caliber player.

Agreed.

Comparing the bravado of Ali or Namath in those situations to a guy who's yet to take a snap in college and had a less than 50% completion rate last season...in high school. Right. (and that was kinda my point)

Good for Deuce. Like you guys said, I prefer that kind of confidence to uncertainty. Great teams need great leaders. But it can backfire too, even rub your future teammates the wrong way. (his tweet sounds a bit like, F You if you don't like it...not exactly the way to win people over). If he comes in and works as hard as his words, leads with his actions...he'll be a great Hawkeye.

Last edited:
He has since issued a semi-apology and that people were taking the tweet out of context or how he meant it. He noted a number of buddies are being recruited or committed to Ohio State and was meant as a good natured shot toward them.

and if iowa is going to reach its mountain top (whatever that is) you need a bold leader, in my opinion, because we will have to over achieve to a degree. AND....I still love petras' potential. it's gonna be one helluva battle. whoever wins will be a high caliber player.
Funny you’re forgetting about the other Tx kid already on the roster who played at the top level in Tx HS football and tore it up. Had a solid Spring Game from what I hear. Don’t sleep on him.

get this guy on the field, he's overcome his entire generation of snowflakes who throw a fit every time they see something they don't like

Funny you’re forgetting about the other Tx kid already on the roster who played at the top level in Tx HS football and tore it up. Had a solid Spring Game from what I hear. Don’t sleep on him.

i'm not forgetting mansel. but he'll have 2 seasons left after '19. if he doesn't beat out petras and hogan, then i don't think he stays. we'll know that next spring. but i wanted packages for mansell in the game plan all last season. i'm just not convinced he stays ahead of petras for '20 and then also hogan. i do think hogan could also RS.

get this guy on the field, he's overcome his entire generation of snowflakes who throw a fit every time they see something they don't like

Something tells me DH is not impressed with participation ribbons, unlike a certain AD

Funny, like the mentality but the kid is talking big from a school that plays essentially JV level football in Texas.

Isn't he at a private school? So more his parents' choice to send him to a Christian school rather than public one. Might impact the size and talent level he is surrounded by.

One thing nobody has asked... what prompted his tweet in the first place? Seems kinda random. It's the off season, he committed months ago, not headed to Iowa City until next year. Was he responding to someone else?

I don't think we should glorify internet trash talk. It's such a contrast to what we've known as Iowa fans, I think many of us are intrigued by his attitude and demeanor. But we're not specifically looking for a a confident trash talker. We want a good quarterback. These tweets are not an indication of that, they're just tweets

i'm not forgetting mansel. but he'll have 2 seasons left after '19. if he doesn't beat out petras and hogan, then i don't think he stays. we'll know that next spring. but i wanted packages for mansell in the game plan all last season. i'm just not convinced he stays ahead of petras for '20 and then also hogan. i do think hogan could also RS.
Kind of interesting dynamic right now. Stanley at 6’4” with limited mob, Petras is 6’5” and can’t move, Hogan at 6’4 ish and not mobile. Then you have 6’3” Mansell with mobility and Padilla at 5’10” with some mobility. Weird variety.

I don't think we should glorify internet trash talk. It's such a contrast to what we've known as Iowa fans, I think many of us are intrigued by his attitude and demeanor. But we're not specifically looking for a a confident trash talker. We want a good quarterback. These tweets are not an indication of that, they're just tweets

rotflmao
@74Hunter ----->trash talk
@cytwins ---------> trash talk
@everything Nebraska------------>trash talk
@ SEC ------------>trash talk
etc etc

Not that I mind it, but I'm not a liar who pretends to speak for everyone and declare we are the Marquess of Queensbury fanbase. You do not know this fanbase at all. You know who the prototypical Hawkeye is? THE OP. You ever read any of his posts? Are they snowflake-centric designed to protect feelings? I don't know what nation you're living in, but you are a stranger to either Hawkeyenation or reality or both.