Desmond Howard on Nebraska....'work on a way to get their ass out of the BIG

I dislike Nebraska as much as the next Hawkeye fan. But this hating on them for kicking around the idea of looking for somewhere else to play has me scratching my head... The league and other presidents shut them down. It's not like Nebraska is pulling some traitorous move here. They want to find a way to play when others (so far) are still going to play too. I wish Iowa would too. The spring idea I'm not a big fan of. So help me understand why this is some kind of traitorous move that deserves to have them kicked out over

Nebraska isn't going anywhere. Frost can talk all he wants but Nebraska would lose a crap ton of money leaving the Big Ten, not just TV revenue from the BTN but research grants that the Big Ten consortium brings in as well. Besides, who would have them, they left the Big 12, PAC12 wouldn't piss off the Big Ten, they wouldn't be a fit for the ACC, and I can't imagine the SEC would take them. They would be screwed.

I dislike Nebraska as much as the next Hawkeye fan. But this hating on them for kicking around the idea of looking for somewhere else to play has me scratching my head... The league and other presidents shut them down. It's not like Nebraska is pulling some traitorous move here. They want to find a way to play when others (so far) are still going to play too. I wish Iowa would too. The spring idea I'm not a big fan of. So help me understand why this is some kind of traitorous move that deserves to have them kicked out over

Because all their peers and business partners are sitting it out.

I suppose Frosty thinks he's got a Conference Champ and probably is going to win the National title so he doesn't want to miss out.

Nobody’s playing this fall anyway. The ACC/SEC/B12 are just posturing to make it look good and they’re playing chicken with each other to see who’s last to cancel.

Go look at Sankey’s tweets for shit’s sake. He said he’s looking forward to conversing with the Big Ten about why they shut down, and that he’s going to “confer with them” about it. He’s leaving the door open to cancelling, while trying to save PR so that when he does finally cancel he can blame it on the other conferences, say that he did everything he could, and went down swinging blah blah blah.

Nobody’s playing in P5, folks.

Nebraska isn't going anywhere. Frost can talk all he wants but Nebraska would lose a crap ton of money leaving the Big Ten, not just TV revenue from the BTN but research grants that the Big Ten consortium brings in as well. Besides, who would have them, they left the Big 12, PAC12 wouldn't piss off the Big Ten, they wouldn't be a fit for the ACC, and I can't imagine the SEC would take them. They would be screwed.
It’s all a bunch of lip service to satisfy his inbred mouth-breather fan base.

Like a lot of folks in the 80s, they all want to be the toughest mullet-wearing Trans Am-driving fifth year senior in the high school parking lot.

Because all their peers and business partners are sitting it out.
Ok but not because they want to either.... Like how does it hurt the rest of the BIG if Nebraska were to end up going to play? Besides making them 'look bad'. To me that's the league making their bed and Nebraska making the best of it. Now if there's contract language spelled out what the ramifications for doing something like that would be then it is what it is. All this being as unprecedented as it is heck if I know what would stand up and what wouldn't.

To me that'd be like that principal at that HS in GA suspending that student for sending out the picture of the hallway full of crowded kids with no masks on. That kid did NOTHING wrong. The school did and is just trying to limit their bad PR. Same here the league is who messed this up 16 different ways not Nebraska not Iowa not any of the schools ADs Coaches or players. They all want to play and they are who got yanked around disingenuously by the Presidents and probably the new commish Warren too. Hard telling what he knew prior to the schedule being released. But I'll lump him in with them too.

Ok but not because they want to either.... Like how does it hurt the rest of the BIG if Nebraska were to end up going to play? Besides making them 'look bad'. To me that's the league making their bed and Nebraska making the best of it. Now if there's contract language spelled out what the ramifications for doing something like that would be then it is what it is. All this being as unprecedented as it is heck if I know what would stand up and what wouldn't.

To me that'd be like that principal at that HS in GA suspending that student for sending out the picture of the hallway full of crowded kids with no masks on. That kid did NOTHING wrong. The school did and is just trying to limit their bad PR. Same here the league is who messed this up 16 different ways not Nebraska not Iowa not any of the schools ADs Coaches or players. They all want to play and they are who got yanked around disingenuously by the Presidents and probably the new commish Warren too. Hard telling what he knew prior to the schedule being released. But I'll lump him in with them too.

Let me put this into terms you can understand using this documentary regarding the formation of the NWO Wolfpac as the basis.

Watch this video. Assume that Bischoff is the Big Ten Commissioner. Assume that Hogan is the conference. Assume that Kevin Nash is Nebraska. It tells the story of the Big Ten right now perfectly. Recall, if you will, that when the NWO fractured into two factions, it wasn't long until the whole damned WCW collapsed and had to file for bankruptcy. Sports historians know this stuff.

You have a solid take here but I would point at Ohio St.

The SEC would love to have the Buckeyes and they would even take their rival Michigan too if that was what the asking price was for the jump. Every conference would love to have them. Hell they could go independent and play a national schedule like ND and possibly make more money.

But the Buckeyes don't do that. So neither will Michigan. They're loyal to the conference and when the flag-bearer of the conference is loyal, the middle class and lower class should stay loyal as well.

Most of it is learning their place in the hierarchy which they have not done yet. But basically they're damn lucky to be in the B1G as are every B1G team outside of OSU, Michigan, & PSU. I don't think any of the other P5 would be all that interested in Nebraska except for the Big 12 who would take anyone that they could get their respective administrations to agree on.

It’s all a bunch of lip service to satisfy his inbred mouth-breather fan base.

Like a lot of folks in the 80s, they all want to be the toughest mullet-wearing Trans Am-driving fifth year senior in the high school parking lot.

Inbred mouth-breather fan base???

So what your saying is that when they do genealogy research they have to go to incestrial.com? :p

You have a solid take here but I would point at Ohio St.

The SEC would love to have the Buckeyes and they would even take their rival Michigan too if that was what the asking price was for the jump. Every conference would love to have them. Hell they could go independent and play a national schedule like ND and possibly make more money.

But the Buckeyes don't do that. So neither will Michigan. They're loyal to the conference and when the flag-bearer of the conference is loyal, the middle class and lower class should stay loyal as well.

Most of it is learning their place in the hierarchy which they have not done yet. But basically they're damn lucky to be in the B1G as are every B1G team outside of OSU, Michigan, & PSU. I don't think any of the other P5 would be all that interested in Nebraska except for the Big 12 who would take anyone that they could get their respective administrations to agree on.

As much as I hate to admit this, this is the truth. Without Michigan and Ohio State the Big Ten wouldn't be much more than a glorified MAC conference. What is interesting is that they have NEVER thrown their weight around (that I'm aware of). The Big Ten has acted in unison for as long as I can remember. My theory is that is comes down to more than just sports for these institutions, there is an academic side that we can't see as clearly.

You really think that Texas, I mean the Big 12, would let Nebraska back in?

As much as I hate to admit this, this is the truth. Without Michigan and Ohio State the Big Ten wouldn't be much more than a glorified MAC conference. What is interesting is that they have NEVER thrown their weight around (that I'm aware of). The Big Ten has acted in unison for as long as I can remember. My theory is that is comes down to more than just sports for these institutions, there is an academic side that we can't see as clearly.

You really think that Texas, I mean the Big 12, would let Nebraska back in?

Yeah only because they need teams. I think the Big 12 would strongly consider any mid level P5 team willing to make the leap, especially if they had a decent name.

But no university is that stupid to make such a move to the Big 12 unless they're are no other good options. That conference is controlled by 2 schools, both of which don't give a shit about the rest of the league.

People on this side of the river here in Nebraska all think this is still going down. FWIW. Them playing this fall is gaining momentum vs dying down 24 hours after the announcement.

As much as I hate to admit this, this is the truth. Without Michigan and Ohio State the Big Ten wouldn't be much more than a glorified MAC conference
Nah. Penn State and Wisconsin are much more relevant than Michigan. And if you look at the B1G, it's got a few what I'd call elite-level teams, which is no different than the SEC and ACC. It's just that their good teams are really good. The only problem with the Big Ten is the divisional alignment being so lopsided.

The Big Ten is probably one of the strongest overall conferences in the nation as a whole, it's just that they haven't had a Clemson or Alabama-level team come along so far this decade.

Latest posts