Derrick Mitchell transferring

cobri66

Iowa tailback Derrick Mitchell Jr. will grad transfer out of program. Played sparingly as a junior this season.
Per Twitter..Mark Emmert

UI Release

IOWA CITY, Iowa - -
University of Iowa football student-athlete Derrick Mitchell, Jr., will earn his degree in May and transfer from the Hawkeye program to play his final college season elsewhere. The announcement was made Wednesday by head football coach Kirk Ferentz.

“Derrick will earn his degree from Iowa this spring and has elected to transfer for his senior season,” said Ferentz. “Derrick was a great teammate and valuable team member during his career. We congratulate him on earning his degree this semester and wish him good luck next fall.”

Mitchell (6-foot-1, 220 pounds) is a native of St. Louis (Vashon HS) who just completed his junior season with the Hawkeyes. He played running back the last two seasons after beginning his Hawkeye career as a wide receiver.

Mitchell played in five games in 2016, rushing two times for 12 yards and a touchdown, while grabbing six receptions for 24 yards. He saw action in 11 games in 2015, rushing for 162 yards and two touchdowns, while collecting 15 receptions for 141 yards. Mitchell saw action in five games in 2014, but had no statistics.

Good for him. Young man did everything he could for the Hawks. Can't hate on him whatsoever for wanting to find a place where he can get on the field. He's more than put in his time, and he deserve it. It stinks for the Hawks cuz they could have used a little depth there next year, but it appears that Toks had already passed him on the depth chart anyways.

Didn't like being listed as the 3rd down back again without a competition going into spring ball for the #2 spot I take it... Won't be a huge loss but having experienced depth sure would have been nice.... Opens up another scholly!!! (that we evidently are having a tough time filling)

The good thing we might be able to take away from this also may be that he knows after spending the year with Toks that he knows he couldn't beat him out because he's pretty good too.... Just a thought.

He is not dumb. I am guessing he analyzed his chances going forward and saw the writing on the wall. I am really happy he will get his degree and wish him the best of luck at his new school. I hope he gets lots of playing time!

Rob, they are at 14 commits now, does this leave just 8 scholarships? And are they going to make it to 22?

Last edited:
Brady Ross and Jake Gervase were put on scholarship this semester. I still think we could get to 22, though. Depends on who wants to come.

Let's give the scholly to Wagner and throw him in the slot. Then we have an extra scholarship for the bball team.

Wouldn't that be perfect. The football team needs WRs and the basketball team has too many forwards. Ahmad has so much more potential on a football field but at the same time he has earned his basketball scholarship and the right to play at this level if that's what he prefers to do.

Hopefully he will land somewhere and get a lot of PT with his new team. Seems like he was here at Iowa for longer than he actually was here.

One thing I could not understand last fall is why they didn't put him back out there as a receiver. He came to Iowa as a WR, he was a 3rd down back because he could catch passes so they trusted him to catch the ball, and it was obvious they needed help at WR, yet he didn't play. It made too much sense - probably why they didn't do it.

I agree with two sentiments here:
1. I wish him well
2. I don't blame him

I disagree that this isn't a big loss, even if Toks is a better "running back." Iowa desperately lacks skilled players and DMX imo was probably our 2nd best skilled player behind Wadley. Heck before injury he had beaten Wadley out for the third down back role. The underutilization of said talent is a problem that comes from elsewhere, but I digress...

I totally expected this. Very underutilized this year and we certainly could have used him next year. Smart move by him and I hope he lands in a good spot.

Latest posts