Derrick Foster Provides Outlook for Hawkeye Running Backs

Why? What is scary?
Coming into the season with a totally unproven backfield. Hasn’t been the case in a while.

In the past 4 years we’ve had...

Weisman/Canzeri
Canzeri/Daniels/Wadley
Daniels/Wadley
Wadley/Butler

This’ll be a huge reset and hopefully it works out fine, but it’s scary.

Coming into the season with a totally unproven backfield. Hasn’t been the case in a while.

Weisman/Canzeri
Canzeri/Daniels/Wadley
Daniels/Wadley
Wadley/Butler

Sure. I get that.

Lucky thing is that, that is not usually an issue with Iowa teams, young backs performing well. Iowa typically has good line play so they seem to succeed quite well or are formidable. They are all pretty much have been or are red shirt freshman and Young and Martin-Kelly have had carries last year so at least there is that. I think Geil coming in has a larger body size which helps him as a true frosh is they choose to play him.

I don't think this is such a big deal to an Iowa team that it might be for others. Where Iowa suffers, is when has a slew of young linemen on each side of the ball or linebackers. I would lean to worry about the young LB crew than the RB position.

Weisman/Canzeri
Canzeri/Daniels/Wadley
Daniels/Wadley
Wadley/Butler

And this is why I was happy to see a couple of young RB's get some carries last year. They got a little experience and I'm confident in the position. Like everyone else has mentioned, if the line does their job, we will be just fine.

I think Geil coming in has a larger body size which helps him as a true frosh is they choose to play him.
I’m a big fan of playing true freshman if they’re up to it and can contribute, especially at injury prone positions. Keep that redshirt in your back pocket if possible.

I was one who had no problem at all playing Epenesa even though he wasn’t a starter. God forbid if he ever gets hurt he’s got a rehab year without losing any eligibility.

I’m a big fan of playing true freshman if they’re up to it and can contribute, especially at injury prone positions. Keep that redshirt in your back pocket if possible.

I was one who had no problem at all playing Epenesa even though he wasn’t a starter. God forbid if he ever gets hurt he’s got a rehab year without losing any eligibility.

Agree. If their bodies are relatively close where they need for the position and they have a good understanding of the position, play them. That experience in their upper class years is so valuable.

Latest posts