Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Statement on His Time with Iowa Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is apparent Derrell still carries a huge grudge towards Ferentz and Doyle, and perhaps rightly so. The feelings behind the walls of Fort Kinnick are mutual it seems.

Ferentz obviously wants to run a clean program, and demands that his players follow certain rules while part of it. Derrell didn’t abide those rules on several occasions and got punished.

So I toss out about half of what DKJ wrote. The remaining 50 percent, however, ought to give every Iowa supporter pause. There clearly are significant problems with Iowa football.

I thought Ferentz would survive this, that Doyle and perhaps one other assistant would be canned. Now I’m not so sure. I think KF has to go, too.
If even half of what DJK wrote is true, fire the lot of 'em, from the janitors up to the AD. Time for the staff to feel the wrath of God.

I agree and my guess is that based on Jack Kallenberger comments that they can just be asshats to players regardless of color!
Yep. If you are mean to someone because they are black, you're a racist. If you say fucked up shit to people to get under their skin, regardless of their color, you're an asshole.

I think Doyle, Brian Ferentz, and Seth Wallace are assholes. I think Kirk Ferentz is way too old school for today's society with his "you have to act a certain way to be considered a good person" way of thinking. It's not malicious with him, but it would be really hard for a black player to feel comfortable if they act the way Kirk dislikes. Not all black people act the same way, so not all black people would feel uncomfortable. But the ones who do... I big time get how they hated it.

Rob is a reporter. He is not a guardian of the Hawkeyes. I would never want a press core like at Nebraska. Blaming the press for these issues is sad. This forum mocked Penn State relentlessly for its denialism after its scandal. While the issues here obviously aren’t nearly equivalent, it’s denialism all the same.

It’s not the fault of the press that they are reporting what former players are saying. What do you expect them to do? Attempt to cover it up? Can you imagine if a Penn State’s fan’s response to their scandal was to be angry at the reporter that uncovered it? Again, I’m not saying this scandal is even in the same universe in terms of the seriousness of the allegations, but it’s unfortunate that some are so quick to reflexively defend their favorite team in the face of compelling evidence of mistreatment.

This was a very compelling story and explains a lot of puzzling decisions during the time when DJK was here. Thank you for publishing this. It seems like DJK had buried the hatchet and was willing to come back for the 2019 celebration. It saddens me that the Coach still held a grudge and was apparently unable to do the same.

yeah? well, the iowa press covered it up 10 years ago. but now it's convenient so go ahead and be a good reporter? bullshit. all 4 years djk played the fans were begging to get confirmation as to why he always seemed to be in the doghouse. well, if the press didn't know, they must have been fools. if they did know, they covered up the issues by NOT reporting them. again, bullshit!

and for the record, unless kirk makes a statement, it is wrong for anyone to pass a judgement. and i'm no kirk ferentz fanboy. the publishing of this information now, be it from djk himself, or as things were known 10 years ago, is opportunistic. seriously, man, the press is a joke. they're as much the "old boy network" as any other "old boy network" and isn't that the problem?

I remember Moeaki calling out DJK a few years back when he brought this up and said he was going to write a book on it. Moeaki states that he had former teammates that were wrestlers, in the NFL, and “fictional story tellers”. If the writer of the story was hoping to get KF investigated and possibly fired this probably did it. If true, at this point, we are probably better off cleaning slate as we are going to start getting out recruited by Rutgers.

I said before that Doyle is considered the best in the business. What do people think make him good? Do they think he has some super secret workout that no other schools know about? He pushes people hard as F to get the most out of them. He lost some of that ability after rhabdo and I think it showed with results on the field (as in player strength). After all of this, he would have to become mr nice guy because the spotlight will be on him. He would probably have to be the nicest guy around just to overcompensate. "You wanna try to give me one more rep buddy? No? That's cool man, good job anyway!" You think Wisconsin runs over us now? Wait until you see us after players start getting Doyleized in the wrong direction. There's literally no point in keeping him around even if they wanted to.

He was probably like that drill sergeant type of coach (Bob Knight) that pushes guys to the limit and many guys don't like while they're there but the very mentally tough thrive under. And they come to the conclusion that his pushing them to their physical limits helped get them where they are. And in the process mutual respect is attained. Guys like Kampman, Stienbach, Gallery, Sanders, Hodge, Babs, Greenway, etc take off and that physically showed itself on the field in KF's first decade and Iowa was rarely beaten up physically.

Since the 2011 incident that has had to change. Just like players having enough with Knight's style and his last few years at IU where nothing compared to his 80s and early 90s runs. Iowa struggled to adjust since 2011. They are no longer the physical force they used to be. And players are clearly revolting against that kind of coaching and treatment.

Hopefully we'll get some clarity in the coming days and weeks. Judging from the comments it doesn't look good. Particularly for Doyle. I'm still hopeful players continue to support KF and he's able to navigate through this.

In this particular case there was definitely a culture clash. I wish DJK would have left and found a better fit. I think KF would have been fine with that. I've never heard of him trying to block a transfer of a player who wasn't a fit.

Last edited:
The more I read former players' comments, the more I think Kirk & Doyle aren't so much racist as they are just horrible persons. DJK's story sounds absolutely horrendous, but I don't see how it was racist, unless I missed something.

My benefit of the doubt is a little shook on Ferentz as a person after reading this. It would appear DJK was disposable and beneath them from reading this story. A culture of good ole boy, cast systems, ruling with an iron fist and threats and consequences if you don't conform to their ways. Again, I think it would be nice if another player(s) can attest to some of this ( or all of this). But, as I feared yesterday, things could start coming out about Ferentz's role in all of this. This does not help his case. If that was all made up, that was a very well written story. However, DJK as a character witness does have his past issues, so that is something to consider, but this is still not a good look for the head coach.

Regardless, if true or not, if I'm an opposing Big Ten coach, I'm going to have a field day with recruits scaring them away from coming to Iowa with all of this stuff coming out. This is not good at all.

We have been saying this for a long, long, time....but if I'm Gary Barta, I'm finding the best PR person I can find right now. Even then, that might not be enough. It may very well be, a little to late for late. Actually, way late.

But, it could also be case of jumping on the bandwagon and trying to bring down whoever you can, based on the political climate right now, using it to your advantage. There is always 2 sides to a story. However, again, the troubling thing in all of this, is the amount of the players speaking up...and the arrows tending to fly in the direction of one particular person...Doyle. With as much power and influence that Kirk Ferentz has over his football program, what is more likely? That he did not know this was going on, or he indeed was aware what was happening?

Another troubling thing is, if indeed Ferentz did not know what was going on, what does that say about things? You would think players would feel comfortable enough to approach the head coach about things like what Doyle allegedly said to them. If they could not do that, then what does that also say?

Again, this is problematic for our program and they got their work cut out for them.

I do think Kirk Ferentz deserves and has the right to respond to this statement by DJK (if he so wishes). If he does, it will be very interesting what he has to say about it.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this the past few days, and with everything that keeps coming out, it's a certainty now- Chris Doyle is a straight up egotistical prick. His statement the other day, one in which he didn't apologize or say he was sorry once, is very telling, IMO. I hope he's ran out of town and never heard from again. Good riddance.

Regarding Kirk, I'm torn. On one hand, how much of what DJK states can we really believe? There's no doubt he has an ax to grind. On the other hand, I can totally believe Kirk having a huge ego and not allowing one player to be bigger than the program itself. If someone corroborates this, or additional acquisitions surface, it may be hard for him to survive this. But then again, he does run Iowa City and it's looking like Doyle being the fall guy may be enough to fend off the dogs.

Could 2020 get any worse? Holy f*ck.

Got a feeling a lot of schools will be too busy checking over their own shoulders before attacking Iowa. Just don't know why we aren't hearing more from other former players supporting Kirk or are they not being heard. As a fan my biggest concern was the strange decisions on hiring Kirk has been making. Starting with Davis, Why? Then his son's meteoric rise to OC. Again why? He had a chance to really go after young minority up and comers. A chance to diversify his staff, what a wasted opportunity.

BTW, just my own personal take on Coach Doyle (from just one experience), from strictly observation during one particular time when we were attending one of the home games. We were waiting around to see the team pull in, we were not close to the yellow line at all. However, we watched him berating fans left and right (using foul language) getting to close to the yellow line where fans are suppose to be back when the team is pulling into Kinnick Stadium. He was also yelling at people for walking on the sidewalk and made some of them go out in the street. I know that they are trying to keep player safety in mind. But, to be honest, when I saw him acting like that, I was like, I wonder if he is having a bad day, on a power trip, or is kind of a prick?

The whole thing is sad to hear about and read about. Hopefully more corroboration will come out to verify or nullify some of the accusations. If anyone thinks this is not going to adversely affect recruiting for several years then your high on drugs. Unless like I said more comes out to disprove the allegations.

It’s a sad day for Hawkeye fans either way. Best case scenario has Doyle coming out and apologizing to all involved and having him taking courses on unconscious bias and maybe a suspension along with it. He is on extremely thin ice at this point. If just one or two more players come out and verifies l some of these accusations then Doyle is toast if he isn’t already.

You have to keep in mind Kirk is very loyal to those who have faithfully served him for years. Also, at this point does Kirk really need the money? Yes, it could come to that if more former players step forward. Not that Kirk would be forced out but that he might by loyal to the point where he refuses to let Doyle go. At that point the University would have not choice but to bring axe down on both of them.

I am hoping for the apology, unconscious bias courses, and suspension.

Whether you like KF or not, there is zero—and I mean zero—chance that any black athlete at all, and any athlete white, black, or otherwise comes here from outside the state of Iowa as long as any current white coach is on staff.

Imagine the absolute field day any opposing coach has had dropped in their lap.

Doyle’s laundry list of accusations is obvious and too widespread to even go into...

They’ll describe how Wallace abuses players that have learning disorders instead of building them up and giving them hope. Writes their GPA on the board to mock them. Tells them how “fucking stupid” they are. “You seen that movie Tropic Thunder? That character Simple Jack...”

And Brian Ferentz has huge meltdown level temper tantrums, throwing shit, wrecking press boxes, screaming, and according to players/parents says racist stuff directly to players. See these news reports about his temper? They’re even from hometown newspapers...

And finally they’ll move onto KF. Tell recruits that KF lets it all happen, tries to keep black players under his thumb and censor them to be more like white kids, and his son Brian is a chip off the old block. Threw CD under the bus but kept his kid shielded. Tell recruits that there’s no way KF didn’t know about CD, they were close sidekicks every day for a quarter century. “Oh, and [insert recruit name], have you read the statement DJK made about Ferentz and the program in general? You sure you want to play for a program like that? Might want to give it a read before you sign that LOI. I’m telling you that as a person—not a coach—even if you don’t come here to play for us. I know that as a father and college football coach myself, I wouldn’t want my son to spend even five minutes there.”

And you know what? Maybe it’s all true...I don’t know.

But demigod worshipers like @WinOneThisCentury just continue to have blinders on and not even consider that former players might be telling the truth. They—like the Paterno-sheep—would defend KF even if they saw him do something with their own eyes. They say, “It had to be a figment if my imagination! It’s impossible!! Kirk is a good man, I’ve seen lots of tv interviews and shook his hand at a golf course once!! I KNOW HE COULDN’T POSSIBLY DO THIS!! He loves all players, he cares for all players!!”

Yet those KF sheep have never met the guy a second in their lives. Not on a practice field, a meeting room out of sight of the media, and especially not in an office with the door shut. But you know the guy’s true heart and personality, right @WinOneThisCentury ? Tell us how you know he’s not capable of any of this stuff (other than your opinion of him from media interviews wearing a Hawkeye polo)...What I do know is you’d fit right in at Happy Valley.

Last edited:
Could 2020 get any worse? Holy f*ck.
This is obviously bad.

But...if the BOR does what it has to and scraps the current staff and starts over, maybe it’ll be seen as a positive by recruits and fans, and maybe it’s era #3 instead of just burning the program down into obscurity. Maybe we can get kids here who might not have come before because they feel like they’d be moving to a positive staff and program that will help them be successful.

Regardless of whether anyone believes the former players or not, our recruiting is toast from here on out. They might as well not even waste the gas money on visits with this current staff. Imagine KF, BF, Wallace, Parker, going to black recruits houses after all this stuff is in the media...it’d be laughable.

Regardless of what really went on, the U has no choice other than to scrap it and start over.

Rob, a month ao i would have been shocked you would right utter garbage like this, but after the last month i am not shocked at all, i have no idea what your beef is with Iowa football or KF is but your true colors are showing through 100%. Nobody in their right mind is going to believe 1% of what comes out of DJK's mouth, he has a vendetta against KF and the Iowa program and everybody with a brain cell knows most of what he said is garbage at best....but hey it fits your profile of what you are trying to accomplish here so lets post the garbage and see what hits the fan.

Obviously, from a distance, most of us know nothing about the "inside" of a program.

This seems to be a "clash of civilizations." Kirk is more old school, wanting to mold a "team" that functions as one, not as a group of "look at me and my talents" individuals.

Kirk is the commander, Brian is the executive officer and Doyle is the SGT Major in charge of recruit development. Several years ago Kirk made a major shift in recruiting: seeking out the best talent, but also seeking out the best he could find who wanted to play as a team. He backed off of DJK type individuals who at least appeared to him to suck the team out of the team as they sought out the cameras and advertised themselves on social media.

Kids today who are used to be treated like "amazing" people from the early years of their lives are stunned and frightened to find themselves in a system that focuses on a system, a way of playing, thinking, acting, talking, living that is not about them, but about the "all."

On a darker note, this seems to be an unhealthy system in some ways. Kirk is into loyalty, Nepotism, and working "in the dark" often playing dumb when needed. He seems to resent being challenged and transparency. He and his system seem unwilling and unable to tolerate anyone who wants to challenge his power and the system he has in place.

It seems that players who buy into this team goal, who are willing, are given ample opportunities to develop and play. Those who want to shine the light on themselves struggle. The Kirk System will not allow such "what's in it for me" players to hijack the Kirk Plan.

Kirk must take the blame for any blatantly mean, cruel and abusive environments. He is in a very difficult bind, given his Nepotism, favoritism, and other ways of acting...placed in the current "all whites are bad and need to be punished and called out" world.

The DJK world seems somewhat bogus to me. He takes no ownership of who he is and what he has done. It is a one-sided slander attack for his own failures.

The difficult challenge for Kirk is...who, which players, dare to "come out" to defend him even if they feel he is being treated unfairly? What if Stanley, with the Vikings, would do that? How will that affect his standing on an NFL team full of players who would ostracize him for speaking up for a "Racist Coach?" Anyone on the team will be labeled as supporting "racism" if they speak well of the coaching staff or team. This is the danger of "one way think" that is the rage of the land. If you don't support our "bend a knee" actions...you are racist and against us. This is idiot talk and more dangerous than "felt slights" that float about.

Kirk's leadership style, the staff he has selected, his team philosophy all work well, until it doesn't. Now, Doyle appears to be an out of control bully that Kirk has hired and nurtured, an "untouchable." Now Brian is "untouchable" because who would betray the son your hired and are nurturing for the next decades of Kirk Ball?

Hopefully, truth can be sorted out, and all will be held to account as needed. This is a fluid, messy, dangerous situation for sure. It will be interesting and also destructive for many individuals and their families.

Who will speak for truth? Who will stand up to the "mob rule?" Who will stand behind the coaches who are great people?

Wow. Would love to have seen him be asked about this in the interview. I'm guessing him not being included in the reunion of the 2009 team sent him over the falls.

I don't know anymore. I just don't know. Like some of what DJK says seems believable. A lot of it not at all. After some of the other stuff that's been said by others it's not a stretch that DJK would have been an ostracized player by KF and Doyle. Like it makes one wonder under a different atmosphere and environment would DJK have perhaps not went down the road with drugs and trouble making so much late in his career?

I think DJK is story telling when it comes to he blaming KF for the cops coming to his house. Now KF I'm sure has the Police Chiefs phone # but I don't think he neither has the pull nor gumption to do that. I mean how certain would he have had to been to do such a thing and how on earth could he have been? So yeah that I don't buy. Now the trashing his name to the NFL I can totally see that. I mean how vindictive of a person would you have to be to do both of those things to a guy? And what on earth did DJK that would have deserved any of it? He caught a lot of balls and won us a lot of games. Wearing sunglasses for an interview and being a candid speaker should hardly quantify for that even if he'd been told not to. So again I just don't know what to totally think about all that.

The conundrum that is their relationship is we just don't know the specifics or true facts of everything. We know some bits and pieces but some of the pieces just don't fit together. So do I think KF is as bad as DJK says? I can only say I don't think so but he's not nearly as untouchable and above reproach as he'd lead us all to think either. I'm not sure where in the middle that middle ground is but either way it's NOT good. Not even a little bit.

Investigate both sides or hmmmm just get comments from a cokehead and post them. Then ask Iowa about it later? 10/10 journalism right there.

DJK never really addressed the problems he had and from what I heard at the time it was with virtually every coach- repeatedly. His relationship with Kirk and Doyle were due to repeatedly having run ins with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts