Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Statement on His Time with Iowa Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you like KF or not, there is zero—and I mean zero—chance that any black athlete at all, and any athlete white, black, or otherwise comes here from outside the state of Iowa as long as any current white coach is on staff.

Imagine the absolute field day any opposing coach has had dropped in their lap.

Doyle’s laundry list of accusations is obvious and too widespread to even go into...

They’ll describe how Wallace abuses players that have learning disorders instead of building them up and giving them hope. Writes their GPA on the board to mock them. Tells them how “fucking stupid” they are. “You seen that movie Tropic Thunder? That character Simple Jack...”

And Brian Ferentz has huge meltdown level temper tantrums, throwing shit, wrecking press boxes, screaming, and according to players/parents says racist stuff directly to players. See these news reports about his temper? They’re even from hometown newspapers...

And finally they’ll move onto KF. Tell recruits that KF lets it all happen, tries to keep black players under his thumb and censor them to be more like white kids, and his son Brian is a chip off the old block. Threw CD under the bus but kept his kid shielded. Tell recruits that there’s no way KF didn’t know about CD, they were close sidekicks every day for a quarter century. “Oh, and [insert recruit name], have you read the statement DJK made about Ferentz and the program in general? You sure you want to play for a program like that? Might want to give it a read before you sign that LOI. I’m telling you that as a person—not a coach—even if you don’t come here to play for us. I know that as a father and college football coach myself, I wouldn’t want my son to spend even five minutes there.”

And you know what? Maybe it’s all true...I don’t know.

But demigod worshipers like @WinOneThisCentury just continue to have blinders on and not even consider that former players might be telling the truth. They—like the Paterno-sheep—would defend KF even if they saw him do something with their own eyes. They say, “It had to be a figment if my imagination! It’s impossible!! Kirk is a good man, I’ve seen lots of tv interviews and shook his hand at a golf course once!! I KNOW HE COULDN’T POSSIBLY DO THIS!! He loves all players, he cares for all players!!”

Yet those KF sheep have never met the guy a second in their lives. Not on a practice field, a meeting room out of sight of the media, and especially not in an office with the door shut. But you know the guy’s true heart and personality, right @WinOneThisCentury ? Tell us how you know he’s not capable of any of this stuff (other than your opinion of him from media interviews wearing a Hawkeye polo)...What I do know is you’d fit right in at Happy Valley.
I've met Kirk on several occasions, stood right next to him for two hours in line at a funeral. Countless people came and chatted him up and he was very gracious. While this doesn't come close to the setting where the incidents occurred, I think he is a genuinely good guy. I do believe the players in what they're saying, anyone would be crazy not to with all the corroborated stories, but I don't think for a second that there is/was any malice (race included) to how he runs the program. Instead I think it came from a place of ignorance - he felt like he was preparing the players for the next level by conforming to a strict code of conduct but it had the effect of oppression.

I think Doyle should be gone, no doubt, but I hope Kirk is not beyond redemption and Iowa could actually lead the field in making strong structural changes. Time will tell. I'm glad it's not a decision that I have to make.

Instead I think it came from a place of ignorance - he felt like he was preparing the players for the next level by conforming to a strict code of conduct but it had the effect of oppression.

I disagree. He's preparing guys for the rest of their lives because most of these guys are going to have to get real jobs. And real jobs will come with dress codes and a litany of rules, some of which might be bullshit. If you roll in and meet a guy like Kirk and you've been given special treatment all your life because you are the best kid who has gone through your high school program in 20 years, having somewhat strict dress codes and rules of conduct are going to seem oppressive, but that is the guy preparing you for what lies ahead. It isn't ignorance. It's actually a lot more harmful to these kids for Kirk to coddle them and say "yeah, you're a special snowflake, do as you wish." At some point those kids are going to have to fall in line. It's really hard to understand that process as it is happening to you, but most people have the ability to reflect after the fact and realize "oh, now I see why that guy acted that way." Not everyone has that ability, though.

I disagree. He's preparing guys for the rest of their lives because most of these guys are going to have to get real jobs. And real jobs will come with dress codes and a litany of rules, some of which might be bullshit. If you roll in and meet a guy like Kirk and you've been given special treatment all your life because you are the best kid who has gone through your high school program in 20 years, having somewhat strict dress codes and rules of conduct are going to seem oppressive, but that is the guy preparing you for what lies ahead. It isn't ignorance. It's actually a lot more harmful to these kids for Kirk to coddle them and say "yeah, you're a special snowflake, do as you wish." At some point those kids are going to have to fall in line. It's really hard to understand that process as it is happening to you, but most people have the ability to reflect after the fact and realize "oh, now I see why that guy acted that way." Not everyone has that ability, though.
That's kinda my point, I should have said "the perceived effect of oppression". Kirk was ignorant to the fact that the structure could be perceived by some as oppression. Was it? That's not a question I'm going to answer. Some seem to think that it was, others don't.

Last edited:

of all the things you have ever posted, this might be the one i agree with the most. 100%. Stuff like covering your tattoos. Where guys are like they didn't let me experience being myself and my culture cause my tattoos had to be covered up. Ummmm, there are other places you have to do that in society, they're called jobs. Stuff like following directions, tucking in your shirt, not sagging your pants. Being asked to do those things isn't oppressive, its called having a standard, and in life sometimes you have to follow other peoples standards to get what you want. I hate tucking in my shirt, and left to my own devices i wear shorts 365 days a year even though i live in a cold climate. And i loved it when i worked at a job where they let me do that. Now i work for a place where they see professionalism as being attached to how i wear my clothes, so i don't wear sandals, i wear a belt, and i tuck in my shirt to my stupid pants everyday. Even though that goes completely against me and my individualism. Why do i do that? Cause they are my boss, and i want them to keep paying me. And the second i leave work, and i'm off the grounds, I switch into my shorts and un-tuck my dang shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.