Dear Kirk

Also for the 3-4 people arguing with me in this thread... Did you hear the THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE booing as the clock rand down and CJ was looking to the sideline?

You remember the game last year where the same thing happened with Rudock staring at the sideline instead of spiking it and we lost the game?

It was an awesome win but I just wish Kirk would learn to teach his QB's to spike it... that's all.

WTF dude? I mean serioulsy cause maybe 10,000 out of 65K boo'd at the call you are finding vindication?

The clock management was fine, but you just won't acknowledge that not all situation are the same. By spiking the ball in that situation you very well could cost your team something more valuable than time.......and that is an extra play. From that down and the distance needed to get MK in FG range, losing an extra play could have equaled a loss on the field. You have no idea at all how 2nd and 3rd downs play out in your scenario, but in the scenario where Iowa runs a play on first down instead of clocking it, they won the freaking game.....yet that aint enough for some, as you are proving, some just have to try to extract a pound o flesh to be happy.

Oh for the love of god lol....

Guess what I screamed and ran around the house when that kick went in...

Me too! Not saying it was a perfect ending as far as a 57 yd fg attempt being my fave lol just saying I think it's not written in stone in that situation that you must kill the clock by spiking it . And just after running around like a crazy hawkeye fan I said a little prayer asking God for forgiveness for all of the words that came out of my mouth the last 6 minutes of the game lol ok fine...the whOle game and all 43 years of being a hawk fan lol

WTF dude? I mean serioulsy cause maybe 10,000 out of 65K boo'd at the call you are finding vindication?

The clock management was fine, but you just won't acknowledge that not all situation are the same. By spiking the ball in that situation you very well could cost your team something more valuable than time.......and that is an extra play. From that down and the distance needed to get MK in FG range, losing an extra play could have equaled a loss on the field. You have no idea at all how 2nd and 3rd downs play out in your scenario, but in the scenario where Iowa runs a play on first down instead of clocking it, they won the freaking game.....yet that aint enough for some, as you are proving, some just have to try to extract a pound o flesh to be happy.

I'm not looking for a pound of flesh... correct clock management is correct clock management. It doesn't take way from my enjoyment of the victory at all.

You don't think it was incorrect I get that... what i don't like is your calling me names and acting like a big child with "Bigtenchump" and "LOLOLOLOL"

Act like a reasonable adult.

Oh for the love of god lol....

Guess what I screamed and ran around the house when that kick went in...

The way you are carrying on it seems you were more upset about NOT spiking the ball, than you are happy about the game winning FG.

You are acting like KF has some Hail Mary save the day, but that isn't the case at all. The staff understood how much time was left, knew they could run 3 plays (worse case scenario) if they run a pre called play on first down. Instead of being happy that the staff found a way to run an extra play, you are complaining that they "wasted" 7 seconds when they had 2 seconds left on 4th down to kick a FG?????

My recollection is that the thousands upon millions of fans booing did not start when they saw CJ was not under center, but the booing started by a couple hundred when the clock wound down four or five seconds after CJ had the play and waiting for the snap. But I'm not going to watch again to see if my recollection is correct. Going to work on my ZZZZZ management.

You are talking non sense, and I'm trying to get you to shut up so you quit looking so stupid.

You have enough time to run 3 plays whether you clock that ball or you don't. That is it, you don't have time for a fourth play no matter what your little temper tantrum is telling you. We ran 3 plays and the 4th play was the FG. No matter what you do, you don't get more plays than that.

You can't explain facts to an idiot. Needed the extra play not the time. THis is one less troll I need to bother with from now on.

I'm not looking for a pound of flesh... correct clock management is correct clock management. It doesn't take way from my enjoyment of the victory at all.

You don't think it was incorrect I get that... what i don't like is your calling me names and acting like a big child with "Bigtenchump" and "LOLOLOLOL"

It is tough acting reasonable when someone arguing an ABSTRACT is acting like the ABSTRACT is correct, but the actual result is somehow not correct.

Tell me what was Iowa's objective when they got the ball. Was it not to get into FG range to kick a FG? Wasn't that always the goal? You do realize that you are arguing that the BETTER WAY was to do it was something different than the actual way that was done that ended in a game winning FG.

I do apologize if I have hurt your feelings with name calling. It it just completely infuriating when people act like there is some PERFECT way to do something, that what they are saying is the PERFECT way, and that everyone else is clueless if they don't think that way. Claiming that all NFL coaches and 65K fans all agree with you and that everyone else is an idiot is being every bit as "childish" as someone else being insulting in a different way.

It is tough acting reasonable when someone arguing an ABSTRACT is acting like the ABSTRACT is correct, but the actual result is somehow not correct.

Tell me what was Iowa's objective when they got the ball. Was it not to get into FG range to kick a FG? Wasn't that always the goal? You do realize that you are arguing that the BETTER WAY was to do it was something different than the actual way that was done that ended in a game winning FG.

I do apologize if I have hurt your feelings with name calling. It it just completely infuriating when people act like there is some PERFECT way to do something, that what they are saying is the PERFECT way, and that everyone else is clueless if they don't think that way. Claiming that all NFL coaches and 65K fans all agree with you and that everyone else is an idiot is being every bit as "childish" as someone else being insulting in a different way.

I was never looking for any perfect anything.

Kirk has always had trouble with clock management... so this time you think he did it right that's fine.

You are the one who got all emotional and aggressive about it... nor did I ever call anyone an idiot in anyway.

There were people who agreed with me... plenty on this board and not.

I was never looking for any perfect anything.

Kirk has always had trouble with clock management... so this time you think he did it right that's fine.

You are the one who got all emotional and aggressive about it... nor did I ever call anyone an idiot in anyway.

There were people who agreed with me... plenty on this board and not.

I do apologize, as I do get emotional over stupid. Don't get all butt hurt, or take it personally, as I'm not calling YOU stupid, I'm calling your opinion stupid.

Hope that helps, heck next time I might think your opinion is smart, and agree with you, and like your posts, and we can be all friendly. :D

You just got to let it be champ. Some fans are only concerned with the win. The fact is this game was very similar to the 2005 Cap 1 Bowl. Poor clock management nullified by one incredible individual, low percentage play.

After that game, most people were not concerned with poor clock management. They were consumed with the great play that won the game and you would have been attacked in a similar manner bringing it up then just as you are now. They didn't realize then what many do now, that poor clock management by KF has cost Iowa dearly. But the euphoria of a dramatic win covers the underlying problem that still exists.

And problem with that line of thinking is that its hard to rely on incredible plays, low percentage plays to win. Its much easier to rely on effective clock management that puts teams in situations in which incredible individual plays are not needed to win a game.

You just got to let it be champ. Some fans are only concerned with the win. The fact is this game was very similar to the 2005 Cap 1 Bowl. Poor clock management nullified by one incredible individual, low percentage.

After that game, most people were not concerned with poor clock management. They were consumed with the great play that won the game and you would have been attacked in a similar manner bringing it up then just as you are now. They didn't realize then what many do now, that poor clock management by KF has cost Iowa dearly. But the euphoria of a dramatic win covers the underlying problem that still exists.

And problem with that line of thinking is that its hard to rely on incredible plays, low percentage plays to win. Its much easier to rely on effective clock management that puts teams in situations in which incredible individual plays are not needed to win a game.

How does spiking the ball on first down get us a closer FG attempt? Seems to me that we then run the 2 plays for 0 yards, and now we have a 4th down at the 47 and we are attempting a 65 yard FG.

You guys do realize it was the 3rd play that we got positive yardage on, don't you? If you spike the ball, and you gain 0 yards on 2nd and 3rd down, now you are in a situation that you either attempt a 65 yard FG or a Hail Mary on 4th down.

Why do you think this is better?

We could have gotten 5-10 more yards if we had more time.. at least time for one more play - more if your QB is trained to spike it fast.

You aren't making any sense... more time = more plays which = more yards.

Or we could have taken a sack... or a penalty... or a turnover... woulda... coulda... shoulda... it's all idle speculation by a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks. The man made the call he wanted and we won the game. Try to be happy about that.

I made this post before Koehn's 57 yard miracle kick...

However with better preparation we could have gotten a 47 yard kick instead of a 57.

Kirk is the absolute worst Div 1 or NFL coach I've seen far and away at time management.

It's nice that it didn't cost us this time... but it didn't change the reality.

My big criticism of Ferentz for years is that he doesn't have a 2-minute playbook -- no set series of plays that the QB, receivers, running backs, line can default to in the last two minutes of a tight game. I used to think that was a failure by Ken O'Keefe but seeing the same thing with Greg Davis as OC that is on Ferentz. I think he thinks they can just play-call everything even as precious seconds tick off the clock. Recipe for failure; he has been fortunate they don't lose every tight game.

How does spiking the ball on first down get us a closer FG attempt? Seems to me that we then run the 2 plays for 0 yards, and now we have a 4th down at the 47 and we are attempting a 65 yard FG.

You guys do realize it was the 3rd play that we got positive yardage on, don't you? If you spike the ball, and you gain 0 yards on 2nd and 3rd down, now you are in a situation that you either attempt a 65 yard FG or a Hail Mary on 4th down.

Why do you think this is better?

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner!

It is like winning isn't good enough, da haters still want a pound of flesh (even in a win) from KF, and even when they ran a freaking 52 second offense to PERFECTION to win the game. Save it for the losses losers.

This. And those on the "We got lucky" and/or, "CJ and his awareness overcame KFs clock management idiocy" train are exactly the people that Hawknick and others mentioned would be ******** even when we won games.

I really can't believe this thread got started. That it appears to be soaring toward seven or eight pages is mind-boggling.

Several things were accomplished on the way to the winning kick:

--Clock was virtually all zeros before last play (meaning no last chance for Pitt)
--The kick was makeable, but long enough for Pitt to place a deep man for possible return...which meant one less person attempting to block/pressure the kick
--Who WASN'T wondering--Pitt and Narduzzi included--if some fake/trick play might be coming, which (again) meant less pressure on the kick
--Anyone remember the "clock" attempt in the Cap One Bowl? A similar occurrence could have meant a 62-yard vs. a 57-yard attempt
--"Clocking", while giving us more time to game-plan, would also give THEM more time to "set" their D, and maybe CJ doesn't get the yardage on one or mor of those scrambles

Great point here. Very exciting win and everyone should be happy but the fact is 57 yard FGs are few are far between. I have no issues saying that kick was flat out luck. Not that he couldn't kick it that far because he can but that he could kick it that far accurately without getting it blocked because it has to be driven line drive style.

Better clock management, particularly in CFB with clock stopping on 1st downs, should have given MK a far easier attempt.

<<because it has to be driven line drive style>>

Yeah, like last night's arcing rainbow...

Tate to Holloway would not have happened if we stopped the clock. The CJB scramble may not have happened if we let Narduzzi organize his Defense. We won.

How about this for a Dear Kirk letter:

Dear Kirk, thanks for changing and making Hawkeye Football fun again.

Tate to Holloway would not have happened if we stopped the clock. The CJB scramble may not have happened if we let Narduzzi organize his Defense. We won.

How about this for a Dear Kirk letter:

Dear Kirk, thanks for changing and making Hawkeye Football fun again.

The KF transformation is still a work in progress. There was still a lot of horizontal offense in the first half. Adjustments were finally made late in the 2nd quarter.

There is a reason only 63,000 were in attendance for a night game with 2 undefeated teams. Not all Hawk fans have bought back in yet. It's going to take time.

At no time last night during that final drive did I think Iowa should have clocked the ball. And the clock management in this game was not even remotely comparable to the cap 1 bowl years ago. Clocking the ball doesn't always give you more plays. And more plays and time doesn't always give you more yards. The only play I questioned was an out to the tight end I believe who did not get out of bounds and they had to burn a time out. Additionally, clocking the ball also gives the defense time to make adjustments and maybe CJ throws a pick 6. If we are going to talk what ifs, you have to look at all the possible negative outcomes as well?

I was at the KC Chiefs game on Thursday night. They tried to move the ball with about 30 seconds on the clock. They run a draw to Charles, who fumbles, Denver pics it up and scores the winning TD. In hindsight, they should have kneeled and played for OT. Coach Reid got hammered for not taking a knee!

Last edited:

Latest posts