Dear Fran, Please start recruiting scoreres. Everyone else has them.

Stupid Fran, he should start recruiting top 10 players in the country!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Exactly. He got two top-100 players and also offered Marcus Paige. But he didn't get Paige, so he's an absolute slouch, right? He also signed the best 2013 player in the state. But no, he can't recruit at all. Fire Fran, he sucks. I agree with tednugentfan, if we don't start pulling Wiggins, Jahlil Okafor, and Ivan Rabb, we'll be regulars in the CBI.

Cosign. Reminds me of Sonics "fans" back in the day who'd complain after losing to the Lakers "why don't we just trade for Shaq?"

Yes, if there is one team Nebraska basketball resembles its the LA Lakers of the Shaq and Kobe era. Anyone who thinks you should be able to build a program to beat them in only 3 years is CRAZY!

Yes, if there is one team Nebraska basketball resembles its the LA Lakers of the Shaq and Kobe era. Anyone who thinks you should be able to build a program to beat them in only 3 years is CRAZY!

You don't think Fran has built a program capable of beating Nebraska? It's called an upset. They happen to everyone.

You don't think Fran has built a program capable of beating Nebraska? It's called an upset. They happen to everyone.

They are 2 games behind us and play us again. They did not get NW and Purdue 2x. Upset?

We haven't had Purdue twice yet either. You seriously don't think Nebraska beating Iowa is an upset?

When you look at comparisons and SoS it isn't clear. I want it to be. Taking fanatics out of it, no it's not a clear upset.

When you look at comparisons and SoS it isn't clear. I want it to be. Taking fanatics out of it, no it's not a clear upset.

Losing a 19 point lead and having a better record is an upset no matter how you look at it.

Numbers on paper don't always explain everything...given your profession I would assume you knew that.

Losing a 19 point lead and having a better record is an upset no matter how you look at it.

Numbers on paper don't always explain everything...given your profession I would assume you knew that.

Yes and my calculations tell me the fans are more upset than this is an upset. Reality hurts. They are 7 RPI places behind us. We'll have the data at the end of the season and they may see each other in the NIT. Should Iowa have been favored? Yes, so technically an upset. Just not a big one. Who is really surprised?

Was beating Wisky an Upset? Technically yes, but not a huge surprise.

NW beating IL....yes technically and no one expected it.

We haven't arrived yet. Not a surprise which is the type of upset we are talking about. Nebby could finish w/in 1 game of us with a stronger schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another game lost because we don't have any scorers other than Marble and he can be negated with D. The reason we lose close games down the stretch is because everybody has more than 1 scorer, except us. Woodbury, Clemmons, Oglesby and McCabe have 0 offensive skills and May is extremely limited. So we play 10 guys, big deal. Give me some guys with the ability to get somewhere off the bounce or who can finish at the rim. Recruiting is really, really suspect and if McCaffrey whiffs on Jok, Uthoff and Meyer, like he has with Clemmons, Ingram and Oglesby, we will be regulars in the NIT at best. I think it is safe to say McCaffrey won't be leaving for a "better opportunity" anytime soon if he keeps recruiting project players.

I would like more scorers too, but I disagree with almost everything else in your post.

How can you say that Fran whiffed on Clemmons and Ingram? Or even Ogelsby?

Ogelsby: I will admit that I haven't been impressed with him, but I think he lacks confidence. Have you played sports? (That is an honest question--I'm not taking a shot at you) Even at the varsity level, you see guys come in and the first year they play... The game is fast and a lot of people lack confidence. i think Ogelsby is a perfect example of this. Just look at him out on the court. He plays the game like he is panicking at all times. I think that he will shoot much better once the game slows down for him, which only happens as he gets more experience. That is something no amount of practice can help with.

As for Clemmons and Ingram: How can you say Fran whiffed on them? Clemmons is one of my favorite players on the team and there is no doubt in my mind that he has offensive skills. Ingram has hardly played, but I have seem him play some really intense on-ball defense and I don't really think he has had much opportunity to showcase his offensive skills.

How can you say Fran whiffed on them? Especially when talking about Clemmons. He is a freshmen that I think has played very well in a very tough conference. He has faced some of the best guards in college basketball and I have never once thought: "Wow, Clemmons is just garbage. We would be so much better without him. What was Fran thinking when he recruited this kid?"

When you take over a team that was in such a bad situation (like Iowa was), you can't expect to just recruit a bunch of incredible players that are going to be huge scorers right away... Especially when they are playing in the B1G. You have to take chances on "project players" and hope to turn them into something great. I think Fran has done a great job. It's not like he has top recruits knocking down the door to come play at Iowa. He has done really well with what he has been given.

Clearly some of you have no idea what you are talking about and watch only Iowa basketball. To preface my dismantling of your lame "we were so bad under Lickliter" and "we aren't Duke" arguments, let me remind you that WI is on its way to its 15th straight NCAA tournament. McCaffrey said from day one he wants to run and score in the 80's. To accomplish this feat, you need athletic guys who can run, jump, dunk, and yes, shoot. After last season, all we heard was "we gotta get some shooters, scorers" and "we can't have teams keying on 1 player like they did on Gatens all year". So he recruits Gesell (solid), Woodbury (needs 2 years), Clemmons (?), Ingram (?!!!) and Meyer (????). How about a juco SG or wing? And, for the final dash of reality, McCaffrey himself said "I thought if we could defend and rebound, we would be OK and would have enough offense. Clearly that is not the case." So we have an obscure mid-low recruit from GA, yet another Iowa white kid and Jok, who puts up big numbers against Iowa high school talent (the same talent that made Cougill, McCabe, Oglesby, etc.) look good. We might be able to finish in the top half of the MVC, but not the big ten with the roster as constituted today.
I'm guessing that you were not happy with Aaron White. He wasn't a highly recruited player. I am also guessing that you didn't want Matt Gatens to play for Iowa since he was yet another Iowa white kid who by the way played against the same talent that Cougill, McCabe and Oglesby played against. You also seem to have determined that Clemmons and Ingram will never be any good and Meyer who hasn't even played one game yet will never play well. When you're not Kentucky or Duke you have to develop players. I think Fran was clearly trying to develop players this year order for bigger things to come. He did it the way he thought it would work and also serve the big picture which is to set this team up to be good for the long run. As far as scoring goes maybe he thought Ogelsby would come into his own this year and the other players would add a couple of points to their averages and the total points would be there. It's also entirely possible that he tried to recruit a scorer just wasn't able to land one, it happens you know. As for McCabe he does all the dirty work. Fans and the media rarely appreciate these types of players but if you ask the players and coaches they love these guys. Every team needs them. Purdue always has one of these guys and they have been a thorn in the sides of Iowa. The loss to Nebraska was dissapointing. What made it frustrating was because we were in a position to get to the NCAA tournament or at least have a chance at it. It's a far cry from where we were three years ago. If you go back to the beginning of the season most rational people were predicting for us to go to the NIT with an outside chance of the NCAA tournament, right about where we are now. I know it tough but try to have a little patience. Next year could very well be a special year.

My apologies to darabbit and cghawk. I posted before I read their posts and now I see I have really just posted some of the same thoughts. I also apologize to Tednugent if I offended you. That was clearly not my intent. I just wanted to offer a difference of opinion after a loss that we all know was possible but were really not expecting.

bashing fran's recruiting is stupid. iowa was in no position to be attractive to top-50 kids for the first two classes ('10 and '11 -- in '10, he had to re-recruit lick's kids, then fill a gap with cartwright; in '11, it was a breakthrough to get a top 150 kid in jo).

mel rebounds, defends, and has developed a little post game and his midrange jumper. clemmons and ingram are not "whiffs." each does one thing well -- defend. white rebounds and gets to the line consistently. josh (hopefully) will settle down as the game slows for him and execute his specialty. these are the kind of 3 star kids a program can develop with -- they do one or two things very well, but have some pronounced limitations, too. that's better for a B1G team than a "jack of all trades" 3 star who doesn't really do anything well, but is sort of mid-major ok at everything.

hopefully jok turns out to be a steal. hopefully this summer's class can land a 4 star.

Latest posts