Dear Fran, Please start recruiting scoreres. Everyone else has them.

Woodbury can turn his offense around pretty quick by adding some bulk which allows him to get better inside position. He's actually made more of an impact than I thought he would this year, mainly on the defensive end. Players like him take a year or two to develop. With that said, I don't know too many 7+ footers that can't dunk...

From what I can tell, Woodbury will never be a scorer. He may get a a half dozen points a game at best. Most over-rated recruit in Iowa history.

"From what I can tell" was the key phrase. You can tell very little. Anyone that is disappointed in Woodbury's play this year is an idiot.

Clearly some of you have no idea what you are talking about and watch only Iowa basketball. To preface my dismantling of your lame "we were so bad under Lickliter" and "we aren't Duke" arguments, let me remind you that WI is on its way to its 15th straight NCAA tournament. McCaffrey said from day one he wants to run and score in the 80's. To accomplish this feat, you need athletic guys who can run, jump, dunk, and yes, shoot. After last season, all we heard was "we gotta get some shooters, scorers" and "we can't have teams keying on 1 player like they did on Gatens all year". So he recruits Gesell (solid), Woodbury (needs 2 years), Clemmons (?), Ingram (?!!!) and Meyer (????). How about a juco SG or wing? And, for the final dash of reality, McCaffrey himself said "I thought if we could defend and rebound, we would be OK and would have enough offense. Clearly that is not the case." So we have an obscure mid-low recruit from GA, yet another Iowa white kid and Jok, who puts up big numbers against Iowa high school talent (the same talent that made Cougill, McCabe, Oglesby, etc.) look good. We might be able to finish in the top half of the MVC, but not the big ten with the roster as constituted today.

Clearly some of you have no idea what you are talking about and watch only Iowa basketball. To preface my dismantling of your lame "we were so bad under Lickliter" and "we aren't Duke" arguments, let me remind you that WI is on its way to its 15th straight NCAA tournament. McCaffrey said from day one he wants to run and score in the 80's. To accomplish this feat, you need athletic guys who can run, jump, dunk, and yes, shoot. After last season, all we heard was "we gotta get some shooters, scorers" and "we can't have teams keying on 1 player like they did on Gatens all year". So he recruits Gesell (solid), Woodbury (needs 2 years), Clemmons (?), Ingram (?!!!) and Meyer (????). How about a juco SG or wing? And, for the final dash of reality, McCaffrey himself said "I thought if we could defend and rebound, we would be OK and would have enough offense. Clearly that is not the case." So we have an obscure mid-low recruit from GA, yet another Iowa white kid and Jok, who puts up big numbers against Iowa high school talent (the same talent that made Cougill, McCabe, Oglesby, etc.) look good. We might be able to finish in the top half of the MVC, but not the big ten with the roster as constituted today.

Hawks have proven they can hang with anybody or lose to anybody. It took talent to get that 19 point lead. Blowing it was a symptom of a YOUNG team on the road. I know many hate the "young" team argument, especially this far into the season but it still can't be ignored. 3 starters still have 3/4 of their college career left ahead of them. We've all seen enough flashes to believe that the best is still ahead. Relax and enjoy the disappointment for it was just 6 months ago we were all hoping for the NIT. If we miss out on the tourney next year, then I can maybe understand complaining.

Hawks have proven they can hang with anybody or lose to anybody. It took talent to get that 19 point lead. Blowing it was a symptom of a YOUNG team on the road. I know many hate the "young" team argument, especially this far into the season but it still can't be ignored. 3 starters still have 3/4 of their college career left ahead of them. We've all seen enough flashes to believe that the best is still ahead. Relax and enjoy the disappointment for it was just 6 months ago we were all hoping for the NIT. If we miss out on the tourney next year, then I can maybe understand complaining.

Hoping for an NIT repeat? With good recruits and more experienced players and more depth. Wow, just wow.

Hilarious. Next year, next year, next year. It was freaking Nebraska who plays 5 guys and we were up 19, not Michigan at home. Next year will be a repeat of this year, except we don't get to skip home and home with MSU, OSU and Michigan. Miles at Nebraska will go get athletes and PSU and NW get their stars back. I like McCaffrey, but his recruiting skills are extremely questionable. Where is all the mojo promised from our veteran staff of Dillard, Francis and Speraw? He hasn't gotten done on the recruiting front and he needs all 3 incoming guys to make significant contributions.

In fairness, he did do this, but the guy was just a flaky 27 year old with a criminal record.

Another game lost because we don't have any scorers other than Marble and he can be negated with D. The reason we lose close games down the stretch is because everybody has more than 1 scorer, except us. Woodbury, Clemmons, Oglesby and McCabe have 0 offensive skills and May is extremely limited. So we play 10 guys, big deal. Give me some guys with the ability to get somewhere off the bounce or who can finish at the rim. Recruiting is really, really suspect and if McCaffrey whiffs on Jok, Uthoff and Meyer, like he has with Clemmons, Ingram and Oglesby, we will be regulars in the NIT at best. I think it is safe to say McCaffrey won't be leaving for a "better opportunity" anytime soon if he keeps recruiting project players.

Players have not shown any ability to get better under Fran, fire him now.

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

Another game lost because we don't have any scorers other than Marble and he can be negated with D. The reason we lose close games down the stretch is because everybody has more than 1 scorer, except us. Woodbury, Clemmons, Oglesby and McCabe have 0 offensive skills and May is extremely limited. So we play 10 guys, big deal. Give me some guys with the ability to get somewhere off the bounce or who can finish at the rim. Recruiting is really, really suspect and if McCaffrey whiffs on Jok, Uthoff and Meyer, like he has with Clemmons, Ingram and Oglesby, we will be regulars in the NIT at best. I think it is safe to say McCaffrey won't be leaving for a "better opportunity" anytime soon if he keeps recruiting project players.

I disagree. The reason we lost is that we quit pushing the ball down the floor. We stopped fast breaking. Because we are a young team, we are not a physically strong team; we can get pushed around in a half court game. If we keep pushing the ball, we keep getting easier opportunities and score in bunches. When we go into a half court game, we go into droughts.

Latest posts