DC PF Luka Garza Officially Visiting This Weekend

I hope there's better tape of him out there then that... He looks pretty slow and unathletic to me... I don't see how he'd be a very good fit for how Fran likes to play. He has an Acie Earl looking athleticism him... Which if he could play D, block shots and score like he could that'd be great. I'm just not so sure he could. He's playing against 6'3 to 6'5 guys it looks like on that tape.

I hope there's better tape of him out there then that... He looks pretty slow and unathletic to me... I don't see how he'd be a very good fit for how Fran likes to play. He has an Acie Earl looking athleticism him... Which if he could play D, block shots and score like he could that'd be great. I'm just not so sure he could. He's playing against 6'3 to 6'5 guys it looks like on that tape.

Kevin Love II?

You'd think they'd take the shot out that he accidentally banked in. That almost makes his video worse.

Not the best video but the kid is kind of a late bloomer with not a lot of film out there. We should get some better highlights as the AAU season progresses. Dylan Painter was a kid that people wondered about earlier in his career when Fran offered. He ended up at Villanova.

I like Garza. We need skilled big men.

I'm not sure skilled would be a good word to describe him from that video either... I'd rather get a raw athletic player like Gabe O was and mold him. I've had enough of the Woodbury type. Granted he's just a kid yet and they all grow and mature at different rates. So to be fair let him play this summer and next HS season and then lets see.

Looks like a pretty good prospect and you can't teach that size. He'll only improve over the summer in AAU, plus at least a couple other Big Ten schools want him as well.

I like the size and he states in the article that losing weight helped make him more mobile. I definitely don't see much Adam Woodbury in him. He has a solid offer list as well.

I'd like to see him at Iowa. Losing thirty pounds can make a lot of difference. He probably needs to put on fifteen or twenty pounds of muscle. He might not be the best basketball player in the country, but he looks like he is a great player. It would be nice to have a big guy that has offensive capabilities. I think Kriener, Cook, and Pemsl are going to be pretty good offensive players. With the athleticism Iowa is going to have in the guards and small forward positions, they should be solid in a couple of years.

I like Garza and want to have them keep recruiting him but he feels like a twin of Kriener. I don't know if we need anymore players in that mold. Hopefully he grows into his body a little more. You can't put up those types of numbers as a junior without being skilled.

Hopefully Kriener and Garza will both be stars for Iowa. I enjoyed watching Woodbury, but it would be nice to have guys that have a fuller offensive arsenal.

This guy could definitely be useful. Such a smooth jumper. I think he'd be a great complement to Cook.

I like Garza and want to have them keep recruiting him but he feels like a twin of Kriener. I don't know if we need anymore players in that mold. Hopefully he grows into his body a little more. You can't put up those types of numbers as a junior without being skilled.

Does Kriener have a jump shot? I don't know anything about him other than his size.

The only one I ever saw play in a Hawkeye uniform and ran like Garza was Acie Earl and he did pretty well. Sometimes guys can look awkward and still perform. Ace was only 6' 10" as well.

Last edited:
Does Kriener have a jump shot? I don't know anything about him other than his size.

From the highlight film I saw last summer Kriener was slowly adding a midrange jump shot and 3 point range to his arsenal. The thing he does really well is he is pretty physical.

I just saw a recent video of Garza and his running looked vastly improved. The article also stated Iowa was in the lead right now. Another article indicated Iowa was leading for Nunge. Another article indicated that Malik Williams was looking doubtful to Iowa. Then read another article indicating Iowa was contacting another PG for 2017. With all this I would say it's a pretty good guess that Connor McCaffrey will be paying his own way at Iowa. Should be interesting over the next year. Especially if Jones gets a 6th year.

I just saw a recent video of Garza and his running looked vastly improved. The article also stated Iowa was in the lead right now. Another article indicated Iowa was leading for Nunge. Another article indicated that Malik Williams was looking doubtful to Iowa. Then read another article indicating Iowa was contacting another PG for 2017. With all this I would say it's a pretty good guess that Connor McCaffrey will be paying his own way at Iowa. Should be interesting over the next year. Especially if Jones gets a 6th year.

Someone will transfer out and the scholarship situation will work itself out

The only one I ever saw play in a Hawkeye uniform and ran like Garza was Acie Earl and he did pretty well. Sometimes guys can look awkward and still perform. Ace was only 6' 10" as well.
The game is just different then it was in the early 90s now.. Being able to get up and down the court fast is a big deal. Earl was a space eater and great defender for sure. He had nice touch and could score. But for how Fran likes to play I have a tough time seeing a kid like this being a big part of that. I would think there would be other options out there to be looking at. But again lets see how he looks after this summer of AAU ball. Maybe he improves on everything.

Latest posts