Davis likes what he sees in JVB

HawkeyeHypnosis

QCTimes

From article:

“There are certain things you can see on tape, throws from one hashmark to the sideline, that’s kind of a benchmark if they can do that, and he can,â€￾ Davis said. “The other thing I was very excited about is the number of plays he made off schedule.â€￾

Like he's going to be publicly critical.

He could have easily said nothing, if he feels JVB is truely mediocre. Than again maybe Davis is a very poor judge of talent. That seems to what a sizable portion of the Texas fanbase thinks.

The far hash throw is the first thing people look for on tape when evaluating a QB, or one of the first. JVB is the best at this since Hartlieb or Long.

The far hash throw is the first thing people look for on tape when evaluating a QB, or one of the first. JVB is the best at this since Hartlieb or Long.

That's what people that think they know how to evaluate QB play look at first as that's akin to the "Big Arm, can make all the throws" cliche people like to use because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable.

As far as comparing him to QB's from 20 to 25 years ago......., WOW. Why stop there?

Most people who evaluate QB's in and for their profession would find it difficult to compare QB's from 5 or 6 years ago. Jon, I'm not sure why you hang around monitoring a message board; you missed your calling.

Are you guys Fing serious? Statistic wise he had a year on par with Stanzi's LAST year in the program! Jon has pointed out, and he's right, that the difference is Stanzi had an outstanding defense that kept him in the game with chances to win when he all but sunk the ship. JVB did not.

Ronco your obviously a d*** and should go to scout.com with your anti-Miller agenda. Maybe you and Rob Howe(DOiHAVEaPRESSpass) can talk smack together while holding hands.

As for great arms... JaMarcus Russell had the greatest arm of all time and look at where he is at. Steve Young didn't have The greatest arm but he still gets things done. JVB needs to prove he's a winner by winning, not by throwing a hash bullet.

People can blame the defense all they want about last year. But when you have 3 NFL caliber linemen, 1 record setting WR who also is NFL bound and a all purpose reliable running back we expect more out of our offense. Sorry but I thought our D played as good as I expected it to. I was expecting a B12 type offense out of our team. It's sad when we couldn't put up 21 points in a game with that offense. Or you can blame the WR's for the drops, but I don't see the need to bullet 5 yard outs. JVB was part of the reason we didn't win a trophy game last year or only won one road game! Like it or not

Youre right, we was part of the problem, PART of it. People around here make it a much bigger problem than it was. What im saying is Stanzi put us in MUCH worse positions throughout his career, but luckly we had a stellar defense to bail him out. JVB did not. Our defense wasnt as bad as people think last year, just not what we are used to. I dont mean that, but you cant compair last year to the previous 2....JVB is a good QB, not great maybe, but good.

He's one of the best from release to catch.....but he has an issue with the windup. The Lincecum windup needs to be a thing of the past. Hopefully Davis can work with him on that.

JVB has all the physical tools.....there's no denying that. You don't put up 3,000+ yds, 20+ tds and under 10 interceptions without having the tools.

But he's missing that one intangible that you need your quarterback to have....and that's poise. Poise in the pocket when the defense is closing down on you like a wet blanket. Poise on the road when the opposing crowd is raining boos and taunts down on you. Poise in the last 2 minutes to turn what looks like a loss into a win.

Ricky didn't possess a lot of the tools JVB does, but what he lacked in physical tools he made up for with poise and leadership. Hopefully, with a new staff in place and another year under his belt, these traits will shine through.

Does G Davis like what he sees in K Davis?

Does he know his "stud" WR can't catch?

How will he fix that issue?

Can it BE fixed?

He's one of the best from release to catch.....but he has an issue with the windup. The Lincecum windup needs to be a thing of the past. Hopefully Davis can work with him on that.

Yeah, because there is a good track record of messing with QB deliveries.

Are you guys Fing serious? Statistic wise he had a year on par with Stanzi's LAST year in the program! Jon has pointed out, and he's right, that the difference is Stanzi had an outstanding defense that kept him in the game with chances to win when he all but sunk the ship. JVB did not.

This is a thread about Davis' evaluation of Vandy, right?
Why the potshot of Stanzi? Why the aduration of Iowa's defense?

As Adam Woodbury must have said to many high school opponents (and I hope college opponents) that tried to shoot over him, "get that outta here!"

Last edited:
I wasn't intending to take a shot at stanzi. Everyone thinks he's like God around here and was just pointing out how JVB is about the same statistic wise. And about the defense? Cause they deserve it

I figured there were enough DB's in the world, no need for another one. So I will leave you to that space.

DB is like RB, you can never have enough. Oh wait........., you're calling me a Delta Bravo. But, I can still make all the throws and make plays in space.

Last edited:

Latest posts