Davis likes what he sees in JVB

JVB benefited greatly from receivers who could make a play on any ball. His stats were good in spite of a lot of his throws. If he can start leading receivers he will do great this year, if he doesn't he will be exposed.

So what about all the throws that were on the mark, that all the receivers dropped then. So at worst id say it was a wash then

We were more negatively impacted by bad throws than by dropped passes. I say this because bad throws resulted in not only non-catches but also a significant reduction in potential YAC resulting in stalled drives, 3rd and longs, punting etc...

I agree there were a lot of dropped passes and those don't help. However, if we have zero dropped accurate passes last year, we might have won one more game. If JVB cuts inaccurate throws by 50%, we win at least 2 more games.

Ronco your obviously a d*** and should go to scout.com with your anti-Miller agenda. Maybe you and Rob Howe(DOiHAVEaPRESSpass) can talk smack together while holding hands.

As for great arms... JaMarcus Russell had the greatest arm of all time and look at where he is at. Steve Young didn't have The greatest arm but he still gets things done. JVB needs to prove he's a winner by winning, not by throwing a hash bullet.

People can blame the defense all they want about last year. But when you have 3 NFL caliber linemen, 1 record setting WR who also is NFL bound and a all purpose reliable running back we expect more out of our offense. Sorry but I thought our D played as good as I expected it to. I was expecting a B12 type offense out of our team. It's sad when we couldn't put up 21 points in a game with that offense. Or you can blame the WR's for the drops, but I don't see the need to bullet 5 yard outs. JVB was part of the reason we didn't win a trophy game last year or only won one road game! Like it or not.

I totally I agree with you regarding JVB. At times, he looked like a deer in headlights early in games. He would often find a rythm late in games, but when teams took Marvin away he often could not adjust. He has the build and arm for the position. The question is, will he progress this year, our season rides on his arm this year.

I wasn't intending to take a shot at stanzi. Everyone thinks he's like God around here and was just pointing out how JVB is about the same statistic wise. And about the defense? Cause they deserve it

Ah, the defense deserves what? Adulation for traditionally being good against the run? How does traditionally being good against the run translate against teams like Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue? Not good.

How does Iowa's unathletic defense translate against teams like tOSU?

Does Iowa's defense deserve your ultimate praise? Factually and statistically, no.
EDIT: With the spread of offenses that force one-on-one-matchups in college football, even more so, no.

Second edit: If I followed a precise rebuttal pattern to your post, rjbaustain, I'd have the second edit before any of the other stuff....

Vandy may have the same statistics as Stanzi, but Vandy's poise and leadership is not as good as Stanzi's. Maybe that will come to fruition with a more experienced Vandy.

Vandy has not had nearly as many 'endgame' drives as Stanzi.
Some of Stanzi's endgame drives weren't winning drives because the defense couldn't hold the other team. Most opponents try to pass to get back into games with little time remaining, and Iowa's defense has never been good against the pass.

Hey, you can't be expected to do the job of the other team's unit...

Last edited:
The defense deserves our praise and respect because they have been traditionally in the top 25 year in and year out, and at least a third of the time they were in the top 10 in the nation in the KF era. Thats a fact. I suspect you are one of the many that cant stand the "bend but dont break" mentality. But the facts are there that support that mentality. The secondary has been in the top third or better in the nation almost the entire time as well. And while I havnt always agreed with matching up a LB with a WR, that matchup has worked for us as well.

I completely agree with you that JVB hasnt showed the poise and leadership, game in and game out that Stanzi did. And I also agree with you that Stanzi is/was the better quartback thus far. What I DISagree with you on, is all this blame being thrown at JVB. While he did have a certian amount of throws that were off the mark, I am of the school that we had more drops than 99% of the schools in the nation, and that cant be pinned on JVB. JVB performed as well as one could ask for a 1st year starter in this system. I think a lot of the stalled drives were just as much, if not more to blame on the poor play calling than JVB and his arm.

If Iowa's traditional bend but don't break pass defense is on the field this season, tell me, then, that Iowa's defense is great.

The term 'frustrating' has been used by many posters to describe Iowa's pass defense. IMO, that's code for not good, but we aren't acknowledging it's badness.

Vandy may have the same statistics as Stanzi, but Vandy's poise and leadership is not as good as Stanzi's. Maybe that will come to fruition with a more experienced Vandy.

Vandy has not had nearly as many 'endgame' drives as Stanzi.
Some of Stanzi's endgame drives weren't winning drives because the defense couldn't hold the other team. QUOTE]

I saw some good leadership out of JVB in the Mich St game this year. Everything went wrong in the first half and the hawks were down big. But I saw JVB start to lead the offense to a couple of TDs and he had them driving for a score to cut the once big lead to 6 points. Of course a fumble after a pass completion at around the MSU 5 yard line ended that.

I saw traits like not giving up, leadership, drive, and his play elevated.

I think JVB can be a very good consistent QB this year. I mentioned many times last year that he has to be allowed to get in a rhythm early and then he is at his best. But many times the early play calls were difficult passes.

If Iowa's traditional bend but don't break pass defense is on the field this season, tell me, then, that Iowa's defense is great.

The term 'frustrating' has been used by many posters to describe Iowa's pass defense. IMO, that's code for not good, but we aren't acknowledging it's badness.

No one claimed that this, or last year's defense was great

That [the hash mark throw] is what people that think they know how to evaluate QB play look at first as that's akin to the "Big Arm, can make all the throws" cliche people like to use because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable.

It's a cliche that happens to be true.

And nobody claims it's the only requirement to be a great quarterback.

JVB was solid last year, he has the physical tools to be great if his decisionmaking and consistency improve. We'll see. One thing I love about college fb, unlike the NFL, it's not uncommon to see players make great leaps in performance from year to year.

I've never referenced last season's defense in any of my opinions of this thread.

My opinions of the defense attempt to reference Iowa's traditional defense - since 1999.

JVB has great mechanics, much better than Stanzi. Stanzi was a team leader. Not sure it JVB has those leadership skills or not.

JVB was solid last year, he has the physical tools to be great if his decisionmaking and consistency improve. We'll see. One thing I love about college fb, unlike the NFL, it's not uncommon to see players make great leaps in performance from year to year.

Yes, Billso. A great arm does not automatically make a great QB. Favre had a grrreat arm, but he had a problem 'between the ears'.

JVB has some, IMO, mechanical problems with his throwing:
JVB's windup takes away from his great arm.

He's more comfortable with shotgun formations, so he's not so good under pressure from the defense. Davis should make JVB practice, practice, practice under pressure.

Last edited:
Practice under pressure (real pressure) stops after spring ball. It's starts only for a limited time in fall camp. At Iowa, it then stops for good, excepting game day, which isn't practice.

Most coaches don't do this because of the injury potential.

One notable exception is ISU kept hitting all year long either last year, or the year before.

QCTimes

From article:

“There are certain things you can see on tape, throws from one hashmark to the sideline, that’s kind of a benchmark if they can do that, and he can,â€￾ Davis said. “The other thing I was very excited about is the number of plays he made off schedule.â€￾

After everyone gets done urinating on each other, can someone please explain the second part of Davis' quote? I'm assuming that refers to the number of audibles JVB called and improvising he had to do when plays broke down, but I don't know that for certain or whether JVB was good at any of it.

QCTimes

From article:

“There are certain things you can see on tape, throws from one hashmark to the sideline, that’s kind of a benchmark if they can do that, and he can,â€￾ Davis said. “The other thing I was very excited about is the number of plays he made off schedule.â€￾

It seems to me that if you make a play "off" schedule it means that you didn't make the play "on" schedule. Kind of a double edge sword observation.

After everyone gets done urinating on each other, can someone please explain the second part of Davis' quote? I'm assuming that refers to the number of audibles JVB called and improvising he had to do when plays broke down, but I don't know that for certain or whether JVB was good at any of it.

If is mostly when the play call was lets say a 3 step drop , throw the slant, but the slant wasnt available, so jvb moved in the pocket, did some things not planned in the play, then made a good play.

my impression would be that off schedule refers to executing in obvious passing situations- meaning 2 and long and third and long. Schedule generally refers to getting 4+ yards on first down and having less than 3 yards to convert on third down, Iowa was off schedule for much of the season last year.

Latest posts