David Stern punks Jim Rome

Rome is still a tool. Stern is a tool that needs to resign.

Yeah? Stern is a "tool" that's lead the NBA to unprecedented levels of financial success...despite working with a volatile groups of uneducated players and a sport who's "quality of play" (according to the "experts") continues to slip. Stern is one savvy MoFo.
You could argue that Rome is too...as he's forged a pretty successful career out of being a tool. But he's still a tool (and that's putting it nicely). He reminds me of the snitch...who ultimately gets beaten to death in prison. Nothing about him is likable...and no matter what happens to him, you can't imagine too many people feeling sorry for him.

Last edited:
He reminds me of a sly talking mafia rat, if I had to pin him to an animal. But, he dresses well and look ssharp no Hom*o

Rome is still a tool. Stern is a tool that needs to resign.
Yeah? Stern is a "tool" that's lead the NBA to unprecedented levels of financial success...despite working with a volatile groups of uneducated players and a sport who's "quality of play" (according to the "experts") continues to slip. Stern is one savvy MoFo. You could argue that Rome is too...as he's forged a pretty successful career out of being a tool. But he's still a tool (and that's putting it nicely). He reminds me of the snitch...who ultimately gets beaten to death in prison. Nothing about him is likable...and no matter what happens to him, you can't imagine too many people feeling sorry for him.
Did you actually hear what Stern was saying? Huge tool!!... who happens to be a great business man..

Trying to determine how to react, please help me out: are we still ****** at Rome about badmouthing Ferentz back in '02? Knowing the answer will help me choose the appropriate response. Thx - much appreciated!

How about this classic:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczUKTwgqeY]Jim "Chris" Everett confronts Jim Rome - YouTube[/ame]

I listened to the interview yesterday. To think you could come away with a "new found" respect for Stern is puzzling. For being one of the 4 major commissioners he sure came off as an arrogant a$$ who started throwing a hissy fit. All Stern had to do was shoot down the question and dismiss it as being ridiculous. Instead, he instantly gets more defensive than I've ever heard him, which just makes people think "maybe it was fixed". So because Stern acted like this on a show some people don't like, that makes Stern look good? makes no sense.

I listened to the interview yesterday. To think you could come away with a "new found" respect for Stern is puzzling. For being one of the 4 major commissioners he sure came off as an arrogant a$$ who started throwing a hissy fit. All Stern had to do was shoot down the question and dismiss it as being ridiculous. Instead, he instantly gets more defensive than I've ever heard him, which just makes people think "maybe it was fixed". So because Stern acted like this on a show some people don't like, that makes Stern look good? makes no sense.

**** Stern and **** the NBA.

How did Rome get owned? Rome actually acted like a professional while Stern acted like a guy being caught cheating on his gf. Rome handled that really well and Stern looked like a complete arrogant a**hole and an idiot.

How did Rome get owned? Rome actually acted like a professional while Stern acted like a guy being caught cheating on his gf. Rome handled that really well and Stern looked like a complete arrogant a**hole and an idiot.
Compleyely agree with this post. 10 years ago Rome might have been much more contentious, but yesterday he handled that with class. Stern should come on the show today and apologize. His reaction opens the door to even more speculation that the lottery is fixed.
I know Rome isn't popular with Hawkeye fans but no rational person can think Stern handled that interview in a good way yesterday.

I've always disliked Rome's style for along time and yes when he dogged Ferentz back in the day I really hated that. However if your Stern and you decide to play that card with him it's Stern who looks like the bigger tool in this. Rome has always pretty much been one. I thought Rome played that pretty well actually. He had Stern right where he wanted and Stern more then took the bait. I really think Rome was suprised that Stern went down that road. He prolly figured he'd get the normal PC answer and move on with the interview. Only one winner there and that's Rome. Even tho the commish landed some good cheap shots. Loved the he'd never been asked that by a "respectable journalist" line. It just doesn't hurt Rome but it sure makes the Commish look like a baby. I guarantee the people around Stern told him to take the high road from now on but we'll see.

Yeah? Stern is a "tool" that's lead the NBA to unprecedented levels of financial success...despite working with a volatile groups of uneducated players and a sport who's "quality of play" (according to the "experts") continues to slip. Stern is one savvy MoFo.
You could argue that Rome is too...as he's forged a pretty successful career out of being a tool. But he's still a tool (and that's putting it nicely). He reminds me of the snitch...who ultimately gets beaten to death in prison. Nothing about him is likable...and no matter what happens to him, you can't imagine too many people feeling sorry for him.

I sometimes think Stern gets a little too much credit for the success of the NBA. He became the commissioner during the Bird and Magic era, which turned into the Jordan era and also coincided with the rise of ESPN and other cable outlets that needed sports programming. Given all this, a lot of his playoff games are on non-sport basic cable programming stations, he has several teams in serious financial trouble and teams are playing their games in half empty arenas during large stretches of the regular season.

Seriously, the guy isn't all that. He was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and hasn't even taken full advantage of it.

Compleyely agree with this post. 10 years ago Rome might have been much more contentious, but yesterday he handled that with class. Stern should come on the show today and apologize. His reaction opens the door to even more speculation that the lottery is fixed.
I know Rome isn't popular with Hawkeye fans but no rational person can think Stern handled that interview in a good way yesterday.

I have to agree with the above two posts. I am not a Rome fan, so I listened yesterday with my mind almost made up about what I was going to hear. But what I heard was Stern coming off very poorly and Rome handling that like an actual professional.

The NBA has made a nice comeback, but overall I agree with CAAR - it might be a great product but not sure how much Stern had to do with that.

Jim Rome is a talentless hack whose show is pedestrian at best...

This is what we call Karma folks. Jim Rome is always that guy that makes others uncomfortable, Stern put him in his place. Not that I agree with his tact, but I'm glad that David Stern didn't stand for Rome's arrogance.

^^^^ what he said. Rome handled it very well because he didn't want to burn a bridge with Stern. Any other guest that doesn't have the same 'leverage' Jimmy acts like a complete tool.

Latest posts