David Stern punks Jim Rome

Another thing, people are calling Rome a journalist. HE IS NOT A JOURNALIST, he is a freakin talk show host. What type of writing does he do? He is in the entertainment business and knows his fans and what they want. His clones like his toolish personality and the dude is pretty funny sometimes. You know what you get with him and if you don't want to deal with that don't go on the show. Stern has been asked a bunch of WNBA questions from Rome in the past and he just shrugs them off as a joke just like he should have done with this question.

Rome was actually much better when he was starting out as a local southern california guy. I used to listen to him in LA and actually heard the development of terms like "clone" etc. He did a good job of getting a lot of different voices on and had a good rapport with his guests and audience.

It all started going downhill when he started going national and he had to make everything bigger and brasher. He also needed to start pandering to different audiences. Listening to him pump up NASCAR and MMA, while bashing soccer is just hysterical pandering. Dude went to UCSB. :cool:

Rome is a punk and his clones shtick makes his show unbearable to listen to. He seems to think he's the Mike Wallace of the sports world.

Most of you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're judging Rome based on comments he made about KF a decade ago.

Jim Rome is one of the best interviewers in the business. There's good reason he gets the quality of guests on his show that he does. Rome doesn't have guests on to bait them or goad them to get a reaction. (please respond by posting the "Chris" Everette video, ignoring the fact that that was like 20 years ago). David stern has been on rome's show like 20 something times over the years. There's never been an issue before now.

Was rome's question a good one to ask? No, not really at all. But regardless, stern handled it like am immature little child. Rome took the high road between the two for sure. The only person that came out of that exchange looking like a tool was David stern. As the NBA commish and a very intelligent guy, he needs to be better than that.

Rome was actually much better when he was starting out as a local southern california guy. I used to listen to him in LA and actually heard the development of terms like "clone" etc. He did a good job of getting a lot of different voices on and had a good rapport with his guests and audience.

It all started going downhill when he started going national and he had to make everything bigger and brasher. He also needed to start pandering to different audiences. Listening to him pump up NASCAR and MMA, while bashing soccer is just hysterical pandering. Dude went to UCSB. :cool:

For what it's worth, soccer is terrible.

Most of you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're judging Rome based on comments he made about KF a decade ago.Jim Rome is one of the best interviewers in the business. There's good reason he gets the quality of guests on his show that he does. Rome doesn't have guests on to bait them or goad them to get a reaction. (please respond by posting the "Chris" Everette video, ignoring the fact that that was like 20 years ago). David stern has been on rome's show like 20 something times over the years. There's never been an issue before now.Was rome's question a good one to ask? No, not really at all. But regardless, stern handled it like am immature little child. Rome took the high road between the two for sure. The only person that came out of that exchange looking like a tool was David stern. As the NBA commish and a very intelligent guy, he needs to be better than that.

Thanks for the contribution, clone.

I sometimes think Stern gets a little too much credit for the success of the NBA. He became the commissioner during the Bird and Magic era, which turned into the Jordan era and also coincided with the rise of ESPN and other cable outlets that needed sports programming. Given all this, a lot of his playoff games are on non-sport basic cable programming stations, he has several teams in serious financial trouble and teams are playing their games in half empty arenas during large stretches of the regular season.

Seriously, the guy isn't all that. He was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and hasn't even taken full advantage of it.

You basically described every professional sport league in this country minus the NFL. Stern is an arrogant SOB, but he absolutely deserves a lot of the credit of the success the NBA has had the last 25+ years or so.

8-10 teams in a 32 team league doesn't equate to several teams having financial difficulty.

You basically described every professional sport league in this country minus the NFL. Stern is an arrogant SOB, but he absolutely deserves a lot of the credit of the success the NBA has had the last 25+ years or so.

8-10 teams in a 32 team league doesn't equate to several teams having financial difficulty.

I thought the figure was like 8-10 teams in the NBA were actually profitable?

I could be wrong though.

Rome wanted to put Stern on the hot seat by asking the question (a ridiculous question, what does he expect the answer to be? “You know Jim, yes we fixed it”??. Stern gave him a chance to back off, but he continued. He then got punked like he should. Rome started to handle it with “class” because he wanted to stop the embarrassment as soon as possible.

If you don’t agree with me, maybe you haven’t stopped beating yours?

I always find it funny that the biggest arsonists in talk radio (guys who just pick a side on a topic for a reax without really believing in their opinion) are the guys who get the most worked up about it when people call them on it, and 'resent' it

Most of you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're judging Rome based on comments he made about KF a decade ago.

Jim Rome is one of the best interviewers in the business. There's good reason he gets the quality of guests on his show that he does. Rome doesn't have guests on to bait them or goad them to get a reaction. (please respond by posting the "Chris" Everette video, ignoring the fact that that was like 20 years ago). David stern has been on rome's show like 20 something times over the years. There's never been an issue before now.

Was rome's question a good one to ask? No, not really at all. But regardless, stern handled it like am immature little child. Rome took the high road between the two for sure. The only person that came out of that exchange looking like a tool was David stern. As the NBA commish and a very intelligent guy, he needs to be better than that.

This makes me think you might be one of those rare smart clone fans.

However, any interviewer that wouldn't ask that question is a coward because there was a ton of talk about "the fix".

Rome wanted to put Stern on the hot seat by asking the question (a ridiculous question, what does he expect the answer to be? “You know Jim, yes we fixed itâ€￾??. Stern gave him a chance to back off, but he continued. He then got punked like he should. Rome started to handle it with “classâ€￾ because he wanted to stop the embarrassment as soon as possible.

If you don’t agree with me, maybe you haven’t stopped beating yours?

It's actually a very easy question to answer. You say "No, that's ridiculous and the conspiracy theorists would of said that no matter who won" Done. Rome even set up the question for him to respond that way. Rome didn't expect the "Do you still beat your wife" reply. I've read many posts on this site that think exactly what he asked and I tend to believe those thoughts are common throughout the country. Rome stated today he could of came back at him but he didn't. When Stern said I'm gonna go talk to Steven A Smith, Rome said today he almost said "fine, I'll go talk to Tim Donaghy"

It's actually a very easy question to answer. You say "No, that's ridiculous and the conspiracy theorists would of said that no matter who won" Done. Rome even set up the question for him to respond that way. Rome didn't expect the "Do you still beat your wife" reply. I've read many posts on this site that think exactly what he asked and I tend to believe those thoughts are common throughout the country. Rome stated today he could of came back at him but he didn't. When Stern said I'm gonna go talk to Steven A Smith, Rome said today he almost said "fine, I'll go talk to Tim Donaghy"

Ha. I honestly think that Stern just lost control. I think he was just annoyed and had heard that too many times. Imagine if everyone kept bringing up false... or true rumors about you, after a while maybe you would snap. Should he have? No. He lost his cool.

Seriously though, this question was nothing compared to the "when are you going to shut down the WNBA" question. Stern is an idiot. They had a relationship where they went back and forth many of times and joked but Stern was on his period yesterday and just blew up. Saying Rome got punked is like saying that a dude got his a** beat b/c he got sucker punched and wasn't even remotely ready for something like that.

And THAT would have been awesome.

I loved it when Stern says I got to go I have a more important person to talk to Stephen A. Smith is on the other line.. Gotta love it..

Jim Rome isn't who and what he used to be, that is a fact. Heck I didn't even know that Rome still was on the radio or TV err whatever he is doing now..

Is it true there was an incident in October of 2008 when police were called to the home of the Rome family for a domestic violence incident? Do Police records show his wife had suffered lacerations to her forehead and arms as well as two black eyes? And that ESPN temporarily suspended Rome until charges were dropped by his wife? If it is, I am stunned I have never heard a word about it. I would think Hawkeye Nation would have a 75 page thread to refer to if it is true.

Is it true there was an incident in October of 2008 when police were called to the home of the Rome family for a domestic violence incident? Do Police records show his wife had suffered lacerations to her forehead and arms as well as two black eyes? And that ESPN temporarily suspended Rome until charges were dropped by his wife? If it is, I am stunned I have never heard a word about it. I would think Hawkeye Nation would have a 75 page thread to refer to if it is true.

The "beating your wife" comment is a condescending rhetorical trick which has been primarily used by people in politics and law in the past who feel attacked by a line of questioning from a reporter. Stern wasn't actually literally asking Rome when he stopped beating his wife.

I actually side with Stern on this based on the way Rome framed the question. Rome's wording was, "Was the fix in on the lottery?". There is really only one way Stern can answer that question without saying something controversial and that is a simple "no". Rome should have asked something with more room to elaborate and less of an attacking tone. Maybe something like, "Commissioner, you may have heard people in the media making claims about the draft being rigged. How do you respond to these claims?".

Latest posts