Dasonte Bowen Bulking Up for Year 2

From reading, he mentally "gets it" which is good to see from young players. More often than not new players coming in who were "the man" on their HS teams don't see a lot of minutes, in particular their freshman years. There are a few who do, but it is much more common to work up in minutes as you progress. I'm happy to see where he is with this and gets it as it's so important for young players to understand. I think his ceiling is high and he seems to have a path. Glad he's on our team!

It's discouraging to see that Perkins is playing point in some reports. Bowen should have the position on lock this year by now. If he doesn't he might be looking more and more like a recruiting miss. Got a feeling that if incoming freshman Brock gets a chance at the position he will grab it by the horns and not let go.

It's discouraging to see that Perkins is playing point in some reports. Bowen should have the position on lock this year by now. If he doesn't he might be looking more and more like a recruiting miss. Got a feeling that if incoming freshman Brock gets a chance at the position he will grab it by the horns and not let go.
If Tony is at the point, it means a lot of zone. He can't keep up with jet quick waterbug point guards on defense.

Tony will play a lot of 1 but that’s just because he’s the best player on O with the ball in his hands. Bowen will be the starting PG I almost guarantee it. I’ll be shocked if he’s not the starting PG day 1.

Tony will play a lot of 1 but that’s just because he’s the best player on O with the ball in his hands. Bowen will be the starting PG I almost guarantee it. I’ll be shocked if he’s not the starting PG day 1.

We will get a better feel after the overseas trip in August. With six new faces Fran has to figure out what lineups work and what doesn’t. That begins August 5th against Spain or whoever.

We will get a better feel after the overseas trip in August. With six new faces Fran has to figure out what lineups work and what doesn’t. That begins August 5th against Spain or whoever.
Right, just getting out there what I think, which is the opposite of pretty much everyone else and the reports: Well see. Just my gut feeling

It's his true sophomore yr... He barely got the chance to play last yr. I'll give the kid a half a chance at least. We got to see 3 yrs of Ulis out there for crying out loud. I'm not saying Bowen will be the next BJ Armstrong but let the kid develop. He may or may not be a 'bust' of a recruiting miss yet. But prior to him playing a game his sophomore yr probably isn't the time to decide that. How good was Garza or the Murrays at this point in their careers?

It's his true sophomore yr... He barely got the chance to play last yr. I'll give the kid a half a chance at least. We got to see 3 yrs of Ulis out there for crying out loud. I'm not saying Bowen will be the next BJ Armstrong but let the kid develop. He may or may not be a 'bust' of a recruiting miss yet. But prior to him playing a game his sophomore yr probably isn't the time to decide that. How good was Garza or the Murrays at this point in their careers?
Yeah, I realize that I am in the minority here and I am fine with that, but I think Desonte will be one of Iowa's best players over the next 3 seasons. He was behind a guy who was in his 3rd year, Connor was still an option, Tony was an option and Dix came in more ready for the next level then Bowen. Guys mature at different rates and times in their life. Maybe Bowen needed to bulk up more, needed time to let the game slow down for him. The fact that he hasn't shown anything yet is not an indictment on DB, it's a luxury that Iowa can bring him along slowly and have options at the position to do so. It's more sign of a healthy program vs DB being a bust imo

Yeah, I realize that I am in the minority here and I am fine with that, but I think Desonte will be one of Iowa's best players over the next 3 seasons. He was behind a guy who was in his 3rd year, Connor was still an option, Tony was an option and Dix came in more ready for the next level then Bowen. Guys mature at different rates and times in their life. Maybe Bowen needed to bulk up more, needed time to let the game slow down for him. The fact that he hasn't shown anything yet is not an indictment on DB, it's a luxury that Iowa can bring him along slowly and have options at the position to do so. It's more sign of a healthy program vs DB being a bust imo
Yeah I'm glad to hear he's put on 10 lbs so far. As light as he was he could probably use 10-15 more comfortably too. The closer to 200 he can get the better. With him being of the slighter side of things that may be tough to do. 190ish would be fine. I think that'll noticeably help him. The BIG is a mans league and he seems to like to go inside and isn't afraid to take it to the hole. I too look forward to his development. No reason to speed up his timetable.

Also if he ain’t the guy, Fran will recruit over him like he has done the last 2 guys, the cycle is shorter now.

Also if he ain’t the guy, Fran will recruit over him like he has done the last 2 guys, the cycle is shorter now.
Yeah basically whiffing on Ulis and Joe T didn't help he probably wishes he'd have gotten a guy in the portal. Probably tried hard telling. They'll be going to battle with who they have so we'll see how the youngsters do

Yeah basically whiffing on Ulis and Joe T didn't help he probably wishes he'd have gotten a guy in the portal. Probably tried hard telling. They'll be going to battle with who they have so we'll see how the youngsters do
I don't think Fran had a problem with either guy leaving, they weren't the guy. I'd be very surprised if their 1 on 1's went something like "hey, you are valuable member of our team, we love having you at Iowa and your in line for minutes next year, but this is an open competition heading into next year and we're going to play the best guy" "We think you could still be that guy, but it's going to take this, this and that in order to be our starting PG. With Desonte, Dix, Tony and now Brock, you may have a better opportunity somewhere else"

.....these guys are in practice every day, they see who's running with the 1's. They see who is coming on vs. who isn't. Some attrition isn't a bad a thing IMO and you can always kind of tell when Fran helped push a guy out the door. There are no snarky comments from the team on social media and typically has all of his teammates wishing him well out the door.

Ullis averaged 22 minutes a game last year and was our start PG - you don't just suddenly decide you want to play somewhere else in that scenario unless 1. you're getting paid (do you think Nebraska paid a lot for AU? or 2. you were kind of told that this wasn't working out.

Same with Joe T - 3 years in the program, averaged over 17 a game but couldn't take the starting PG position away from Jordan Bohannon, who as noted 1000 times, was not really a true PG. He was lightly shown the door as well.

I feel confident in these speculations but I've been wrong before.

I don't think Fran had a problem with either guy leaving, they weren't the guy. I'd be very surprised if their 1 on 1's went something like "hey, you are valuable member of our team, we love having you at Iowa and your in line for minutes next year, but this is an open competition heading into next year and we're going to play the best guy" "We think you could still be that guy, but it's going to take this, this and that in order to be our starting PG. With Desonte, Dix, Tony and now Brock, you may have a better opportunity somewhere else"

.....these guys are in practice every day, they see who's running with the 1's. They see who is coming on vs. who isn't. Some attrition isn't a bad a thing IMO and you can always kind of tell when Fran helped push a guy out the door. There are no snarky comments from the team on social media and typically has all of his teammates wishing him well out the door.

Ullis averaged 22 minutes a game last year and was our start PG - you don't just suddenly decide you want to play somewhere else in that scenario unless 1. you're getting paid (do you think Nebraska paid a lot for AU? or 2. you were kind of told that this wasn't working out.

Same with Joe T - 3 years in the program, averaged over 17 a game but couldn't take the starting PG position away from Jordan Bohannon, who as noted 1000 times, was not really a true PG. He was lightly shown the door as well.

I feel confident in these speculations but I've been wrong before.
It just stinks that guys they've recruited and had in program 2-3 yrs hadn't developed into studs that could dominate and lead for their 4th yr. Instead it's a start over and keep looking kinda thing and we pretty much knew it after yr 2 for them both. Yet they gave Ulis yr 3 cause of no other real options. Is what it is it's a game of musical chairs.

It just stinks that guys they've recruited and had in program 2-3 yrs hadn't developed into studs that could dominate and lead for their 4th yr. Instead it's a start over and keep looking kinda thing and we pretty much knew it after yr 2 for them both. Yet they gave Ulis yr 3 cause of no other real options. Is what it is it's a game of musical chairs.
But in the past, we were just stuck with those dudes right? I mean, I liked AU and JT, but I'd literally take what's behind door #3 based off the production they provided in their first years of contributing. That's GOOD for Iowa imo, don't keep trying to make it work with 2 guys who didn't live up to their potential and move on to guys who might and the quicker we can be on that process, the better. I applaud Fran for not just "sticking with his guys" because they have some sort of union card for sticking it out while sitting behind more mature and better options. That's a GOOD thing for Iowa imo, at least from my lense. Neither of those guys are going to have monster ends of the career... they are role players at best. Would they have helped by staying? Yes, I guess, but not drastically and again, Iowa is recruiting over the top of them. Bowen and Harding to me are way more intriguing the JT and AU because we now have hindsight on our side, as does our coaching staff. I kind of love it.

But in the past, we were just stuck with those dudes right? I mean, I liked AU and JT, but I'd literally take what's behind door #3 based off the production they provided in their first years of contributing. That's GOOD for Iowa imo, don't keep trying to make it work with 2 guys who didn't live up to their potential and move on to guys who might and the quicker we can be on that process, the better. I applaud Fran for not just "sticking with his guys" because they have some sort of union card for sticking it out while sitting behind more mature and better options. That's a GOOD thing for Iowa imo, at least from my lense. Neither of those guys are going to have monster ends of the career... they are role players at best. Would they have helped by staying? Yes, I guess, but not drastically and again, Iowa is recruiting over the top of them. Bowen and Harding to me are way more intriguing the JT and AU because we now have hindsight on our side, as does our coaching staff. I kind of love it.
1000% yes. Absolutely. Couldn't agree more and it's how they should handle it

It's the opposite of what KF and BF did with Petras and the QB position the last 3 yrs. They knew after his first yr of starting that Petras had a low ceiling. It was easy to see and they should've been looking for a way to seriously replace him not even halfway through his 2nd season. But that's ancient history now haha

1000% yes. Absolutely. Couldn't agree more and it's how they should handle it

It's the opposite of what KF and BF did with Petras and the QB position the last 3 yrs. They knew after his first yr of starting that Petras had a low ceiling. It was easy to see and they should've been looking for a way to seriously replace him not even halfway through his 2nd season. But that's ancient history now haha
Spot on!

Latest posts