Depth Issue

HuckFinn

I like to listen to the College Sports channel on Sirius XM. Both football and basketball are discussed with special guests, including BT reps,

and a number of in house analysts who are really good, both female and male, which I enjoy and appreciate.

Recently, the discussion was centered around the transfer portal. Shocking, right? But this was an issue I had not really considered, so I will share it with you guys and see what you think.

Depth charts are in trouble in all programs. Obvious when you think about it. Guys are leaving to get playing time, many of whom are 2’s and 3’s. So just maybe, there will be a drop off in the depth chart, even with, if not more so, among the blue bloods. Kind of a “duh.” ?? Huh.

I like to listen to the College Sports channel on Sirius XM. Both football and basketball are discussed with special guests, including BT reps,

and a number of in house analysts who are really good, both female and male, which I enjoy and appreciate.

Recently, the discussion was centered around the transfer portal. Shocking, right? But this was an issue I had not really considered, so I will share it with you guys and see what you think.

Depth charts are in trouble in all programs. Obvious when you think about it. Guys are leaving to get playing time, many of whom are 2’s and 3’s. So just maybe, there will be a drop off in the depth chart, even with, if not more so, among the blue bloods. Kind of a “duh.” ?? Huh.
I think it depends on how you define trouble.

Without the portal we wouldn’t have had Jacob Gill, Nick Jackson, Cade McNamara, Erick All, Brendan Sullivan, or Hayden Large.

Kirby Smart thinks its trouble. But others benefit. I think there will be a spreading of talent. Never to reach perfect equalibrium

Yeah it's all about how programs evolve and run everything. The good programs are going to have guys literally scouting other programs players. Recruiting is still huge don't get me wrong but the landing of developed transfers is where things are made now. How many programs are going to have 3 plus yr starters anymore? Cause if by their RS Soph yr if they aren't playing they are leaving at the latest.

Look at us. QB, WR, LB our roster is littered with starters that Iowa didn't land initially. It used to be you'd see a player here or there. Now you can find teams with most of their starters having been transfers.

Depth will become problematic sure. The blue bloods like OSU with top 5 recruiting classes will still have depth. And with injuries and whatnot that depth often separates the haves and have nots. The programs in the middle like us is where it gets interesting and ever so free flowing. Example the Dsm North kid Hilson just up and quit football. He was a vital special teamer as a RS junior. (timing seems odd right smack in the middle of the yr) He had several roles and it's not easy replacing a guy like that when you can't add anyone. They can only move someone up.

Kirby Smart thinks its trouble. But others benefit. I think there will be a spreading of talent. Never to reach perfect equalibrium
Yeah, at the end of the day there’s just so much talent to go around. But I get it that players will go where the money is. Unfortunately Iowa’s niche and advantage was development of “underrated” players, and that will likely burn us from time to time if we take a 2-star and make him into a 5 star and SEC or Oregon money comes calling. I also do think it’s not as bad as it seems on the surface because even the Texases and Oregons of the world already have 2-deeps full of 5-stars. There’s only so much room for those kids and unless it’s a player who can jump into a starter role at one of those schools (which would be rare) we won’t see as much of it as people suspect. Kaleb Johnson for example obviously has the NFL and guaranteed money in his sights and Iowa is the perfect place for him to showcase himself. If he was a sophomore and got a bunch of money flashed at him from Oregon or OSU for example, now all of a sudden he has to share carries and fight for the spot that he already has locked up here.

I think the points are well-taken. Players seem to be moving to get more playing time for the most part. But this all comes down to college being the farm teams for the NFL.

Latest posts