Dantonio

Michigan St may not be a very desirable destination for awhile.

Aside from their off the field trouble, they're in a brutal division with OSU, PSU, & Michigan. Indiana is a lot tougher than what they used to be. And if Locksley would just hire decent coordinators, stay completely out of their way and focus his efforts on recruiting, Maryland would be good too.

They just have a vicious schedule next year. Crossovers are Iowa, Minnesota, & NW. For a East division team, that is about as bad as you're going to get.

Fickel turning them down kinda surprises me if getting back in the BIG was is goal. But maybe that in and of itself isn't. MSU wouldn't be a fun job to have. What's their ceiling for the forseeable future? 4th in the east at best? So yeah that isn't very enticing.
Maybe he thinks he PSU job would pop up one of these days instead... I bet his sights are higher and Cinci isn't a bad gig in the mean time.
Some media talking heads are bringing up Brett Bielema for it now... For his sake I hope not. He'd probably be half desperate enough to take it. I think he's a nobody assistant for the NY Giants atm.

My guess is that Fickell was looking for something similar to what Baylor gave Rhule when they brought him in to get their program back on solid footing. My guess is MSU wasn't willing to pay that.

Last edited:
Fickel turning them down kinda surprises me if getting back in the BIG was is goal. But maybe that in and of itself isn't. MSU wouldn't be a fun job to have. What's their ceiling for the forseeable future? 4th in the east at best? So yeah that isn't very enticing.
Maybe he thinks he PSU job would pop up one of these days instead... I bet his sights are higher and Cinci isn't a bad gig in the mean time.
Some media talking heads are bringing up Brett Bielema for it now... For his sake I hope not. He'd probably be half desperate enough to take it. I think he's a nobody assistant for the NY Giants atm.
The Bielema rumor has legs. Very well could happen.

The Bielema rumor has legs. Very well could happen.
I'm sure his gig with the Giants doesn't pay shit relatively speaking. He's not a coordinator. I can't remember what I'd heard he was but he's not very high up the food chain. Cost of living in that area and yeah I would say he'd jump at going to MSU for like 3 plus mill a yr. He wouldn't have aspirations of actually turning it around there he'd just look to get paid for 3-5 yrs. That job falling in his lap is borderline hitting the lottery territory. He couldn't have thought he'd get another gig like that this soon. If not ever maybe. Since it'll be all about the $ for him it's good. If it was about winning and reserecting his career not so much..

Mel Tucker instantly becomes the 4th highest paid B1G coach behind Harbaugh, Braum and Franklin?!
Wow!

You could argue that Michigan State is the worst coaching job right now, but throwing that kind of coin seems crazy, especially getting a head coach who has done little the past 22 years, since being a GA, under Saban in East Lansing.

Mel Tucker instantly becomes the 4th highest paid B1G coach behind Harbaugh, Braum and Franklin?!
Wow!

You could argue that Michigan State is the worst coaching job right now, but throwing that kind of coin seems crazy, especially getting a head coach who has done little the past 22 years, since being a GA, under Saban in East Lansing.
They're going to be Nebraska 2.0 now, don't worry.

No one wants the job so go hire an obscure coach, lose for four years, buy him out and go looking for an obscure coach, lose for four years...rinse/repeat.

Wow!

Buyout language notwithstanding, KFs salary is looking more and more like a bargain after each year when compared to the huge rat race that is college football coaching salaries. I think KF is something like 7th now behind Harbaugh, Franklin, Braum, Frost, Fleck, and Day.

Buyout language notwithstanding, KFs salary is looking more and more like a bargain after each year when compared to the huge rat race that is college football coaching salaries. I think KF is something like 7th now behind Harbaugh, Franklin, Braum, Frost, Fleck, and Day.

I heard a rumor years ago that Fitz has some formula based on the top 3 or 5 salaries in the conference, so while his comp is not disclosed, I think he is ahead of KF as well.

This is pretty hilarious.

Buffs fans are trying to burn down the internet.

Here's the 30 ish page thread they started when the rumors come out, the link below starts on the page that the news got confirmed. What makes it even funnier is leading up to that, everyone in the thread thought it was total bullshit.

https://allbuffs.com/threads/mel-tucker-leaves-cu-for-michigan-state.143217/page-23

Just read a few, but someone raises a good point. Papa Delany left the Big Ten with a lot of media money and that money simply doesn't exist in the Pac 10.

Just read a few, but someone raises a good point. Papa Delany left the Big Ten with a lot of media money and that money simply doesn't exist in the Pac 10.
It's just a complete circus nowadays and the stability of the Iowa football program from a coaching perspective is unreal.

I turn 40 in August and there have only been two head coaches of my favorite team.

Think about that...

Since before Mount Saint Helens blew up, the Hawkeyes have only had two football coaches.

When HF took over Bon Scott was still singing for AC/DC, Iron Maiden hadn't released an album yet, Steve McQueen was still alive, And Jimmy Carter was the President. Two people have had the job since then, and the current guy has been on staff a total of 31 of those 41 years.

That's mind-boggling in today's world.

Last edited:

Latest posts