Dan Dakich basically called Iowa soft during Penn St/MSU game

If these kids are not doing loose ball drills, shell drills, rebounding drills....something is wrong. Check for floor burns....I bet those knees are looking pretty.

If these kids are not doing loose ball drills, shell drills, rebounding drills....something is wrong. Check for floor burns....I bet those knees are looking pretty.

IMO our problems with being soft are more mental than physical. I think the problem lies in the fact that we play not to lose as opposed to playing to win.

IMO our problems with being soft are more mental than physical. I think the problem lies in the fact that we play not to lose as opposed to playing to win.
I think I would agree with this. It's like anytime this team faces any kind of adversity, they struggle with or don't know how to respond very well.

Well, it starts with the coach, and his ridiculous "take them out of the game when they have two fouls." What the F? Keep 'em in and playing hard. Hell, I saw a bunch of kids play with 4 fouls over the years for long stretches. Our coach is soft so the team plays that way. Quit yelling at your kids/ instead, defend your kids by getting an early technical. Hell, get tossed out of a game IN THE FIRST HALF, WHEN IT MATTERS. KNIGHT AND KEADY DID IT ALL THE TIME. SO DOES IZZO. STAND UP for your players. Play the kids with the most toughness, like Toussaint. This is not that complicated. It is war at this level.

If you lose, go down with your blood and guts on the floor. What the hell is wrong with this team. Mature and play harder.
Touissant has proven zip. For everything good, he’s been equally as bad. There for, can’t be trusted. Perkins and Ullis getting more trust. Joe T could very well be the answer but his play overall would not indicate that.

Touissant has proven zip. For everything good, he’s been equally as bad. There for, can’t be trusted. Perkins and Ullis getting more trust. Joe T could very well be the answer but his play overall would not indicate that.
Joe T looks like he has regressed. Irony, we want more quickness and he is one guy that needs to slow down.

Joe very well could transfer. Like I said, it reminds me of Sapp's sophomore season. I think Joe T is a huge piece of Iowa's future, but he's not right now. Ullis and Perkins are passing him. Some players it takes longer, but IMO, as an Iowa fan, that's what I want. I want the new class of recruits coming in and pushing the vets. If someone leaves, that's just part of the game at this point and IMO, Iowa's already over recruited him and they have guys in their 1st year that are better.... so if he leaves, he leaves.

I don't understand why people have a problem with Dakich. On one hand they say he's a blow hard or needs to shut up, then they comment "But what he says is pretty much correct" -- paraphrase.

They guy calls it like it is or he sees it. I have respect for that. I'd rather converse and deal with people like then with wishy washy people who just want to tell you what they think you want to hear. If it's a spade, it's a spade.

I actually enjoy when he does games.

I get what he's Dakich is saying...but it's based on how the Big Ten allows their games to be played. If Iowa was in the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12....are they still soft? I don't think so.

This is the issue I have...the Big 10 officiating, in my opinion, is inconsistent...and allows way too much physical play. It's ridiculous. Garza got absolutely mauled against MSU, Ohio State, and Indiana. Mauled. And Izzo says after the game, "they wouldn't let us touch the big guy without a foul"...that's the most ridiculous statement in the history of basketball. OSU got away with murder on Garza.

Listen...Weiskamp has had several takes to the hole where he gets the shove, sometimes where he's almost shoved out of bounds...and nothing...that's a foul in the rule book...every time. The issue in the Big 10 is that coaches at MSU, OSU, Indiana...all take the tactic of making the game uber physical early in the games...as it then allows the game to be even worse late. Just watch MSU when we play them next...watch the first 5-7 minutes...it's going to be crazy physical...especially if they aren't ahead and aren't making shots. It's the worst type of basketball.

Dakich is a douche...one of the worst homers in history. When his kid was at Michigan...it made me nauseous.

I get what he's Dakich is saying...but it's based on how the Big Ten allows their games to be played. If Iowa was in the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12....are they still soft? I don't think so.

This is the issue I have...the Big 10 officiating, in my opinion, is inconsistent...and allows way too much physical play. It's ridiculous. Garza got absolutely mauled against MSU, Ohio State, and Indiana. Mauled. And Izzo says after the game, "they wouldn't let us touch the big guy without a foul"...that's the most ridiculous statement in the history of basketball. OSU got away with murder on Garza.

Listen...Weiskamp has had several takes to the hole where he gets the shove, sometimes where he's almost shoved out of bounds...and nothing...that's a foul in the rule book...every time. The issue in the Big 10 is that coaches at MSU, OSU, Indiana...all take the tactic of making the game uber physical early in the games...as it then allows the game to be even worse late. Just watch MSU when we play them next...watch the first 5-7 minutes...it's going to be crazy physical...especially if they aren't ahead and aren't making shots. It's the worst type of basketball.

Dakich is a douche...one of the worst homers in history. When his kid was at Michigan...it made me nauseous.

You're 100% correct about the inconsistencies, but at the same time a team has to play to level of physicality of their opponent and what the refs are calling. IMO that is where we struggle. They hit us we have to hit them back equally hard. If the refs call it then so be it, but way to often we let the physicality dictate how he we play and we simply can't do that. IMO that's the mental toughness we lack.

You're 100% correct about the inconsistencies, but at the same time a team has to play to level of physicality of their opponent and what the refs are calling. IMO that is where we struggle. They hit us we have to hit them back equally hard. If the refs call it then so be it, but way to often we let the physicality dictate how he we play and we simply can't do that. IMO that's the mental toughness we lack.
Then Bohannon can't be on the floor. Nunge has to be more physical. We need to play Ulis and Perkins more...and let them play physical. Man...Keegan Murray with another year of development and strength...is going to be a serious problem for people. So is Patrick Mac. You throw in Nunge, and a year for everyone to get stronger...next year is going to be a good year...maybe better than this year...especially if Weiskamp comes back. Weiskamp, right now...is the best player we have on the floor.

Do you guys think the players are aware of Dakich's comments? i am surprised none of the press guys asked Fran about the comments in the post game interview?

Dakich is blow hard, but he's also not wrong in this case. Iowa is not playing tough right now, no other way to put it. If they wanna salvage the season they are going to have to turn it around.

I would say our rebounding numbers looked good last nite but at the same we gave up maybe 4 or 5 offensive rebounds that never should have happened. Hawks in a group just watching the ball come down and not attacking the rebound at the top of their jump, letting a Buttgers player sneak in and get the rebound. Could have been a blowout.

We are not a big screening team, tough screens, IU is which is a reason they beat us. Good thing KMurray is getting offensive boards because his 4, Garza's 4, and Nunge's 3 was about it so maybe the others need to get a few stray rebounds.

Hard to disagree with Jok Itch's take at the moment.

It does not make a lot of sense to me because Fran strikes me as a guy that would bite your ear off during a bar fight, and Connor did not fall far from the tree. Garza is as tough as they come. Bohannon is cocky. That's kind of a toughness. If a WWE cage match broke out amongst the whole team I would bet on JT being the last man standing.

This is a veteran team with some strong and tough leaders. I really did not expect to see a Fran Fade this year. Let's hope its just a dip and they finish strong. This is by far the toughest conference in the country. By far.
Great Points..Fran in Bar Fight.. Fran's my Guy to be Last Man Standing.. Go Hawks ...

This team was considered tough as hell with Garza, Connor, Joe T, CJ, and Bohannon's clutchness. But now they've lost a few close games without their 3rd best player and they are soft. The Uthoff teams were mentally soft. This team is tough as nails other than rebounding in traffic.

Yeah, it the Hawks started playing like badass tough guys

There wouldn't be a starter on the floor soon after the second half started

If they played thuglike aggressive like the scarlet knights last night

We would have seen the third string finishing the game

Especially if Bo Boroski's team of zebras is calling the game

F, Dakich, that loudmouthed pile of garbage and anything he says

I turn the audio off when he is calling a Hawk game

Last edited:
This team was considered tough as hell with Garza, Connor, Joe T, CJ, and Bohannon's clutchness. But now they've lost a few close games without their 3rd best player and they are soft. The Uthoff teams were mentally soft. This team is tough as nails other than rebounding in traffic.

I think this is where your wrong. I don't think myself or a lot of posters ever thought this team was "tough". Were they making clutch plays at times absolutely, but being clutch and tough are not the same thing. A mentally soft team doesn't generally struggle when things are going well. They tend to struggle to when things take a turn and begin spiraling out of control and they can't seem to snap out of it. Hopefully this team has regained their footing and the skid is behind us. I'd also go as far as saying if they were tougher they'd of been able to collect themselves quicker and we wouldn't see those 2nd half droughts that have become all to common and some of those "clutch" wins wouldn't have been necessary because we wouldn't have found ourselves in those predicaments.

There are plenty of good/great teams that are soft. It's not simply a label a team gets when they lose a few close ones.

I think this is where your wrong. I don't think myself or a lot of posters ever thought this team was "tough". Were they making clutch plays at times absolutely, but being clutch and tough are not the same thing. A mentally soft team doesn't generally struggle when things are going well. They tend to struggle to when things take a turn and begin spiraling out of control and they can't seem to snap out of it. Hopefully this team has regained their footing and the skid is behind us. I'd also go as far as saying if they were tougher they'd of been able to collect themselves quicker and we wouldn't see those 2nd half droughts that have become all to common and some of those "clutch" wins wouldn't have been necessary because we wouldn't have found ourselves in those predicaments.

There are plenty of good/great teams that are soft. It's not simply a label a team gets when they lose a few close ones.
They've probably had the fewest scoring droughts of any team in the nation this year. I'm not surprised some disagree with me because not everyone ever agrees on something. But I would say most Iowa fans remember the soft years a few years ago and this team is nothing like that. A couple younger guys missed some free throws in the Minnesota game and their shooters made everything they threw up. That was the only game we really choked away. All the others were hard fought games where both teams made plays and someone had to lose. That's my opinion anyway.

They've probably had the fewest scoring droughts of any team in the nation this year. I'm not surprised some disagree with me because not everyone ever agrees on something. But I would say most Iowa fans remember the soft years a few years ago and this team is nothing like that. A couple younger guys missed some free throws in the Minnesota game and their shooters made everything they threw up. That was the only game we really choked away. All the others were hard fought games where both teams made plays and someone had to lose. That's my opinion anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aside from the 12 minute drought I thought I remembered a number of droughts (not counting free throws) of the 5-6 minute vairety occuring often throughout the season. I could easily be wrong though and if so then I stand corrected.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aside from the 12 minute drought I thought I remembered a number of droughts (not counting free throws) of the 5-6 minute vairety occuring often throughout the season. I could easily be wrong though and if so then I stand corrected.
We probably have had some. But when you have the 3rd most efficient offense since they came out with the stat in 2002, you gotta assume other teams are having more of them.

Latest posts