Current players excited about McCaffery

As you know, I was pulling for Forbes. But after seeing the uptempo style and seeing that our current players are excited, I'm good with this. When was the last time these kids were excited about the game they've dedicated their lives to? I loved his intensity on the sidelines during highlights on BTN tonight. It will be good to see a coach fired up instead of sitting with his head in his hands and occasionally pulling out the golf clap. Let's get it going. Lick just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's teacher. Anyone, anyone, anybody, Bueller????

...When was the last time these kids were excited about the game they've dedicated their lives to? I loved his intensity on the sidelines during highlights on BTN tonight. It will be good to see a coach fired up instead of sitting with his head in his hands and occasionally pulling out the golf clap...

Exactly! Well said MoHawk! The players looked miserable this season and their comments express excitement from them, this is not something many players - and maybe not all of them are - get on board with but coach McCaffery will win over a lot of fans - and should - if he retains the current roster and recruits. That would say a lot about his character.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel that just the sheer enthusiasm to play the game & not trying to learn a "system" that takes 10^10000 years to implement might just surprise everyone with how much untapped skill that we've been underutilizing all of the last 3 years?

Could we even be NIT bubble w/ an uptempo, easy-to-learn style?

They didn't say the same things.

All the quotes for Lick were "He's a coach's coach" and "He's a high quality, class individual, and a terrific coach."

Nowhere in those quotes does it talk about recruiting or style of play.

And I am not saying they are saying the same things, I am simply posting it for reference, as I stated in the post.

Those, in the know, commented on Todd's hire, as well, three years ago:
Lickliter To Lead Men's Basketball Program - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Just for reference, of course.

Ouch. I found the quote by a former player about how he was great to his players and they loved to play for him revealing. Obviously that didn't pan out here.

Still it is a new day. I am more excited about his hire than some names being floated. It seems he is a more enthusiastic personality than Lick. If he can keep the players that alone will make him more successful than Lick.

Ouch. I found the quote by a former player about how he was great to his players and they loved to play for him revealing. Obviously that didn't pan out here.
Well, in all fairness to both Lick & his former players, at Butler, the system was in place -- the players knew what to expect, Todd knew what to expect, everyone was on the same page and it worked well for them.

Those, in the know, commented on Todd's hire, as well, three years ago:
Lickliter To Lead Men's Basketball Program - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Just for reference, of course.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I posted this. Of course the U of I PR team is going to only release positive comments on these releases but a few differences in the comments made between the two that I think are important are that McCaffery is a better recruiter, rebuilder, more personable and uptempo coach. These weren't said about Todd.

Also striking is who said these comments - former/current Iowa players - Ronnie Lester, Bobby Hansen, Cully Payne, Eric May, Jarryd Cole and Matt Gatens. Where were comments like these three years ago? While McCaffery isn't the "sexy" hire a lot of us, including me, thought we needed and doesn't create a lot of buzz, comments from these Hawkeyes do make me feel a little more confident about this hire.

I'm surprised their were no comments from Jon Lickliter!

All I can say is that the current players better locate & strap on some runnin' shoes. Yea!!!

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, Ryan.

I get what you were saying too. I was thinking the same thing last night. Cautiously optimistic, as we should be. As a matter of fact I went and looked at my media guides from the Alford years and no surprise here, positive as well. But again no comments from current players.

Who knows, could end up being the same thing all over again three years down the road but at least McCaffery seems to have what has been missing the last 10 years. Gaining trust in current players is huge in my book but I won't be completely sold until coach proves his recruiting ability.

Latest posts