Current Bowl Scenarios:

NYCHawkeye74

We win out (12-0): We are going to Pasadena. It is probably 1/3 chance for Jan 8th and 2/3 for Jan 1st.

We lose to tOSU (11-1): If PSU beats tOSU the week before, then we tie with PSU and we go get the Roses. PSU plays MSU at season's end for a BCS berth. If tOSU beats PSU, then tOSU gets the Roses as long as they hold on against Michigan (no sure thing!). We go into hope and pray mode for 3 weeks while the BCS decides if our fan following is enough to get them to pass on an undefeated Boise State team ranked 8th in the BCS over us ranked 10th. Fiesta would be a possibility here, I think, vs TCU, perhaps? If Michigan pulled off the upset, then we are dancing in the streets.

We lose 1 (not tOSU) (11-1): We go to the Rose Bowl for the 1st time since the 1990 season and we spend the rest of our lives wondering what might have been. Only PSU can tie us then, and we have the tie-breaker via head-to-head contact...I mean competition.

We lose 2 (10-2): Given our road schedule this year, many of us would have taken this in a heartbeat. 10-2 would probably leave us ranked about 15th to 20th. Not bad, really, but not what we are hoping for now. Many would consider this a total implosion. I'm not sure it matters who we lose to if we drop two. Either PSU or tOSU would also have at least 2 losses. Possibly both. If PSU loses to MSU and beats tOSU, then we can still go to the Roses here. If PSU or tOSU only have one loss, we not only don't get the Rose Bowl, but I think we get dropped past Cap 1 and probably sent to the Outback. I don't think that the Capital One Bowl would pass on tOSU if it was between the two of us. If it is between Iowa and PSU for the Capital One Bowl, I think it will be a toss-up as to who gets the bid.

We lose 3 (9-3): This would probably find us 3rd or 4th in the conference, but with a nasty end to the year. I'm not sure it matters who we lose to if we lose 3 of the last 4. We probably wouldn't be ranked, or if we were, we'd be around 24th or 25th. The computer rankings would stop returning our phone calls and tell their friends we had really small units. This would send the PSU/tOSU winner to the Roses, and the other to the Capital One Bowl. We would probably be tied with either Wisky or MSU for 3rd, at 5-3, and Wisky might well be taken for the Outback over us. I can't see MSU be taken over us for either the Outback or Champ Sports, I don't think. I think the odds in this scenario would be 65% to Champ Sports, 35% to Outback.

We lose out (8-4): We will finish somewhere between 5th and 10th in the conference. Yes, we could still finish 10th, I think. We would most likely be higher, though. This would mean one B11 team to the BCS (tOSU or PSU). We would be the 4th, 5th, or 6th bowl team picked. That would mean Champ Sports, Alamo, or *gasp* Insight Bowl. Also, the boards would be calling for KoK and Kirk to be quartered and drawn. I wouldn't be able to log into the internet for fear of a stray pitchfork coming through my screen and impaling me.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/blog.php?b=30

Last edited:
My head hurts after trying to read this. Try this:

12-0 (with a Texas loss) = National Championship
12-0 (without loss by Texas) = Rose
11-1 (with loss to OSU) = Rose with OSU loss to PSU or Michigan
11-1 (with loss to OSU) = Cap One or BCS at large if OSU wins out
11-1 (with win over OSU) = Rose no matter what else happens with PSU or OSU
10-2 = Cap One or Outback at worse
9-3 = Outback and I'm extremely ****** the season ended this way
8-4 = no need to discuss because it won't happen that we lose out.

Texas is only part of the 12-0 scenario. LSU wins out and they will probably jump us in the rankings. USC winning out might mean they jump us (50/50 chance).

I'm sorry your head hurts.

thank you for shorter version

Texas is only part of the 12-0 scenario. LSU wins out and they will probably jump us in the rankings. USC winning out might mean they jump us (50/50 chance).

I'm sorry your head hurts.

No way LSU wins out with their offense...yes, there is a top 10 team with a worse offense then us. Also, I just don't see USC winning out...their defense has been unusually suspect of late. In fact, I think they go down at Oregon this week. Even with all that, hawks need to keep winning.

If we're 11-1 we're going to a BCS bowl. Period. I can't possibly imagine a scenario where we wouldn't get an at large with an 11-1 record with our only loss being on the road to a 2 loss co-conference champion Ohio State.

The SEC runner up will get an at-large. Boise State or TCU will get an at-large. After that its anyone's guess, but Iowa would be a mortal lock for one of those final two at-large spots.

Even with the injuries we have I highly doubt the Hawks drop their last 4 (and I am Mr. Pessimist), especially since 3 of them are at home.

9-3 is very possible, but I'm thinking 10-2.

Even with the injuries we have I highly doubt the Hawks drop their last 4 (and I am Mr. Pessimist), especially since 3 of them are at home.

9-3 is very possible, but I'm thinking 10-2.

Yes, you are a pessimist. 9-3 or 10-2?? We lose at home to two of these three: IN, NW, MN?? Decker is out for the year for MN, no way we lose this game no matter what happens. IN has given up twice the points we have and scored the same amount we have. Our defense is still in tact for those out there thinking the sky is falling. and they have carried the team. Its not like our O has been spectacular so far anyway. We still have all but one receiver of a very deep receiving core. We have had several O-Line play this year and have developed depth.

How about 12-0 or 11-1. Pasadena or Fiesta. Sounds good to me.

Latest posts