Culver to lend a fat hand

Wow that guy is a tool - I couldn't imagine the backlash if he somehow harmed the U of Iowa in all of this.

ouch. if he truly wanted to be re-elected he should tell ISU to "shut its trap and that trying to force Iowa to assist in making a case to the Big 10 wont be tolerated. and if they try he'd cut their funding considerably"

I bet he would get a lot more votes with that stance.

I can't see how any fan of the Big Ten would want ISU in the conference. . . at all.

ouch. if he truly wanted to be re-elected he should tell ISU to "shut its trap and that trying to force Iowa to assist in making a case to the Big 10 wont be tolerated. and if they try he'd cut their funding considerably"

I bet he would get a lot more votes with that stance.

Looking at this short-sightedly as you are, it can be argued Chester would see MORE votes as a result of this move.

Face it, U of I is his demographic anyway (extremely liberal). As an institution based on agriculture, the Iowa State culture is much more conservative.

In reality, though, he would be a moron not to do everything in his power to look out for the best interests of ALL state schools. They are huge money makers for the state.

Whether you believe it or not, nocking Iowa State down a peg hurts the whole state, not just Ames.

Why is this such a problem? By ISU getting into the Big10 it helps the entire state. If ISU gets the same financial benefits that Iowa gets then it takes some burden off the state taxpayers. It's not like he's threatening to remove Iowa from the Big10, he just wants Mason to vote no to any expansion that doesn't involve ISU. I don't see how this hurts Iowa at all and it's still far less than a lot of governors are doing throughout the country.

Why is this such a problem? By ISU getting into the Big10 it helps the entire state. If ISU gets the same financial benefits that Iowa gets then it takes some burden off the state taxpayers. It's not like he's threatening to remove Iowa from the Big10, he just wants Mason to vote no to any expansion that doesn't involve ISU. I don't see how this hurts Iowa at all and it's still far less than a lot of governors are doing throughout the country.

Iowa State brings NOTHING to the table. NOTHING! Go play the scrubs in some mediocre conference eight times a year instead of three like you do now.

The comparison of Va Tech to ISU is pretty funny. I don't think the ACC needed a lot of convincing to take one of the more successful football programs over the last 20 years. The better comparison for this would be when Mom tells you you have to take your kid brother to the park to play football with your friends even though the friends make fun of you for it.

Gov. Culver wants to mold realignment, Iowa State discussion | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

I'm sure he won't be able to do anything, but he better not try to strongarm Iowa into trying to make any threats to the Big10. This fatass moron needs to worry about his failure as the Governor and not as a bodyguard for the Clowns garbage program.

I have a new found respect for Travisam!!!!!

The butterburger is a desperate, desperate man!!!!!

Classic stuff.

Chester will find out how important he is in this real quick.....I bet we dont ever hear another word from him on it

but the big 10 is such an awful conference, such a weak conference, such a boring conference.

Chimes the clown choir......

oh wait, now the big 10 isn't so bad.

Good bye.

Iowa State brings NOTHING to the table. NOTHING! Go play the scrubs in some mediocre conference eight times a year instead of three like you do now.

They probably will and with the addition of KU and K-Sate (+ MWC teams) they could be playing in a qualifying league as well. This might actually give ISU an easier path to winning.

Gov. Culver wants to mold realignment, Iowa State discussion | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

I'm sure he won't be able to do anything, but he better not try to strongarm Iowa into trying to make any threats to the Big10. This fatass moron needs to worry about his failure as the Governor and not as a bodyguard for the Clowns garbage program.

LMAO, so I take it you probably aren't voting for him. I agree with everything you have said as well and it isn't because of this.

It's a nice gesture from the Governor, but in reality it is meaningless. If my sources are correct, the Big Ten only requires 8 of its 11 schools to pass anything including invitations of new teams. This is unlike the PAC 10 which requires a unanimous vote. Iowa could vote nay on giving offers to Missouri and Nebraska as a sign of solidarity with ISU not being invited, but I believe the vote would ultimately be 10-1 in favor of inviting the two other Big 12 schools.

The reason Governor Warner was successful in 2003 was that Virginia was the deciding vote on expansion. The 9 member ACC at the time required 7 votes to pass anything, and the presidents of Duke and UNC were vocally against expansion due to their worries about negative ramifications (less revenue per school, travel issues, etc.). Originally Miami, BC and Syracuse were the schools being considered. Warner convinced UVA that they could get VT into the conference instead of Syracuse by only voting for expansion if VT was included. The powerplay worked and now VT is a member of the ACC.

Iowa would only be able to have any ability to negotiate if they were the 8th vote for expansion. Unfortunately for ISU, I just don't see 3 other universities in the Big 10 being against expansion. Also, if there were 3 other universities against it, I could see the conference bending to the demands of another university with a more reasonable request or not even having an official vote on expansion at all. The Big Ten could keep from expanding if it really wanted to even though I would be surprised if that happened.

Also, the pitch for VT instead of Syracuse made a lot of sense from a monetary perspective. While taking ISU over Missouri, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, Maryland or Pitt may make sense from an academic perspective (some more than others), it doesn't from an economics perspective. The Big Ten is going to want a school that minimally generates more money for the Big Ten as a whole than its individual share. If it doesn't, then expansion is not only pointless, but a bad business plan.

Latest posts