Cully Payne vs. Jeff Horner and Dean Oliver - Freshman Seasons

65% FT% needs to improve. a pg shouldn't have below a 70 since they will get fouled the most at the end of the game (if winning close).

I like Cully my self, but man did he have some UGLY turnovers yesterday. I'm pretty sure one of the passes he let go went to the fourth row. It might have been two minutes later we're he let go nearly an identical pass.

I think he has great potential, but he's gotta cut these out of his game. Really kills team moral seeing someone's team mate turn it over that way.

Cully's assist totals are actually a bit misleading for a couple of reasons. First of all, game pace. The Hawkeyes play one of the slowest-paced games in D1. That equals fewer possessions and hence fewer opportunities for assists. Second, since Iowa takes a much larger percentage of its shot attempts from three-point land than most teams do, Cully's targets are taking lower-percentage shots and consequently, there is less of a chance that one of his passes to an open player will result in an assist than if he were on a more inside-oriented team.
Good points.

I like Cully my self, but man did he have some UGLY turnovers yesterday. I'm pretty sure one of the passes he let go went to the fourth row. It might have been two minutes later we're he let go nearly an identical pass.

I think he has great potential, but he's gotta cut these out of his game. Really kills team moral seeing someone's team mate turn it over that way.

Absolutely.
He got very flustered after that hard foul on him that wasn't called. Lickliter got him pulled finally and sat him down.

But, yeah, those were some pretty bad TOs. He's learning though.

Payne is doing okay for a freshman, but I don't think he quite compares with Oliver and Horner when you factor in the TO, RB and Assists stats as well as defense. Horner was a great rebounding guard and was long enough to play solid defense on all but the quickest guards. Oliver was quick enough to guard anyone and had an impressive A/TO ratio for a freshman. Still, Payne appears to be the best 3 point shooter of the bunch. All of this confirms my belief that Payne is really an off guard playing point guard out of necessity.

Latest posts