Cully leaving this late is a huge blow...

This helps Iowa as it opens a scholarship. Whether Fran gets Pierre Jackson, Eli Carter
or player X at PG, Cully would have little chance to play next year. Cully may have fit in Lick's system but doesn't in Coach Fran's.

This has been in the works for some time. The timing on the announcement seems a little suspect with all the coaches gone right now. If he has been released it didn't happen yesterday, it happened before that. We will be ok without Cully.

It was obvious to most people, especially to Payne, that he was going to be nothing but a backup in Fran's system. Perhaps he didn't want that role after starting for Lickliter?

Barring injuries, Iowa will be the better team when Fran can get his players in his system. Payne was quite limited as a point guard because he could only go one way, which limited his effectiveness.

Iowa simply needs to upgrade and develop their talent at point guard, not keep a backup guard at this position for another 3 years. Good luck to Cully wherever he goes.

We are not any worse off than last year. The sky is not falling. This has been in the works for a while. In fact everyone has another years worth of experience so we are better off than last year. Just sit back, take a deep breath and relax!

This helps Iowa as it opens a scholarship. Whether Fran gets Pierre Jackson, Eli Carter
or player X at PG, Cully would have little chance to play next year. Cully may have fit in Lick's system but doesn't in Coach Fran's.

Absolutely. Cully was never going to be an effective point guard in Caff's system. Even before the sports hernia...but especially after it. This is not a blow, but I wish Cully the best of luck. He was a great Hawkeye.

Does everybody really think that the staff had absolutely no idea that Cully was thinking of transferring? I doubt he just came to them out of the blue yesterday and asked for a release from his scholly.

Fran knows we need a PG in this class and im sure he has known for awhile we need a PG.

It's not that big of a blow. I have it on good authority that he's already taught Marble the art of the jump pass.

This has been in the works. Fran is actually pretty open in some of his public comments. A while back he commented on the following: The really good teams have players who understand their roles. (I believe he mentioned OSU, etc...) He went on to say that he didn't think we'd have anyone transfer, but if there was someone who didn't buy into this belief, "We don't want him anyway." - When Fran said this, I took it that he was getting this out there so it was on record. Everything Fran does and says is calculated. One need not even read between the lines. He's pretty straightforward. Go Hawks!

Huge blow? No way! We got a PG last year about as late in the game as possible and he was a huge upgrade over Cully. I really don't see it being all that difficult for us to upgrade the position now.

I don't think it's a big blow, honestly. (I'm referring to the timing, not his importance on the team). Iowa is in on several quality PGs, both on the JUCO and prep level. Now instead of only taking one, they have the option of taking two... or now they can add a swing man too. More options for Coach McCaffery.

Honestly, I'm an ISU fan and I think it's only a big blow if you don't get another quality PG in. Cully was never going to blow anybody away with his play but he would have been a quality backup to Carwright. I highly doubt Fran whiffs on everybody.

This isn't a blow at all, let along a huge one. Cully wasn't exactly "good" at basketball, and they're going to bring in a PG anyway.

Honestly, I'm an ISU fan and I think it's only a big blow if you don't get another quality PG in. Cully was never going to blow anybody away with his play but he would have been a quality backup to Carwright. I highly doubt Fran whiffs on everybody.

If this staff cannot close the deal on 2 quality PG's over the next year, considering all the PG's they are in on, they don't deserve to coach at Iowa. Plain and simple. Which means I expect we will get good news soon.

I wish cully well. It only hurts if we don't bring in better talent. It is exciting to think we have 3 open scholies now. Also a bit scary.... ;)

I wish cully well. It only hurts if we don't bring in better talent. It is exciting to think we have 3 open scholies now. Also a bit scary.... ;)

Again, if the coaches can't bring in better talent, they don't deserve to be coaching at Iowa. I would rather know if they can sooner than later. I don't want to go through three years of slow addition and subtraction and mediocre basketball. I say bring on the future, and bring it on NOW.

It is only a huge blow if something were to happen to Cartwright but then we are screwed anyway. Don't know much about the pg's we are in on but now Fran can say to them there isn't anyone besides Bryce. I would think that would be appealing.

It will be a big blow if none of the names mentioned recently that Fran is after commit. Fran is in a lot of competion with these recruits and Iowa, while a major conference program, isn't exactly a program recruits are dying to play for. It would be a huge failure if none of these recruits commit. Need to get at least 1-2 of them. I would question what the pitch is if zero of them are Hawks next season.

Latest posts