Cully leaving this late is a huge blow...

I don't think Cully really got Frans system. His comment, "I would stay at Iowa had Lick been here" speakes volumes. Cully was an ok PG, but didn't have the ball handling ability to play with the bigger guards in the B-10. He could shoot if left open and I think he gave all he had while on the floor. I see this as a positive and the only other positive would have been if Archie followed him. For those that are panicing, you need to relax. Next week you will be happy we have Fran at the helm.

Look at it this way. Fuller left, which is comparable to Smith. After Lick's first year a senior who didn't fit Lick's style left. After Fran's first year a sophomore that didn't fit his style left. At this point in Lick's tenure, he had a rising frosh forward, but couldn't close the deal with open schollies. Same with Fran. Lick had come off a season with an all B10 frosh, same with Fran. Lick had come off a season with a PG who was on one all B10 3rd team and an HM. Same with Fran. Lick had a previously pulseless Jr. Forward show some signs of life. Same with Fran. Lick's incoming class included a couple of Iowa kids people weren't overly excited about, as well as an out if state kid who looked promising. Same as Fran? Lick lost the top in-state prospects to out of state programs. Same as Fran. Lick went into the next season without adequate B10 support at PG. Same as Fran? Lick went into the next season not having been able to fill his scholarships. Same as Fran?

If you look at this list, the question marks will be where the answers come as to whether or not Fran will succeed at Iowa. If he can answer those questions in the negative, he will be fine.

Last edited:
Look at it this way. Fuller left, which is comparable to Smith. After Lick's first year a senior who didn't fit Lick's style left. After Fran's first year a sophomore that didn't fit his style left. At this point in Lick's tenure, he had a rising frosh forward, but couldn't close the deal with open schollies. Same with Fran. Lick had come off a season with an all B10 frosh, same with Fran. Lick had come off a season with a PG who was on one all B10 3rd team and an HM. Same with Fran. Lick had a previously pulseless Jr. Forward show some signs of life. Same with Fran. Lick's incoming class included a couple of Iowa kids people weren't overly excited about, as well as an out if state kid who looked promising. Same as Fran? Lick lost the top in-state prospects to out of state programs. Same as Fran. Lick went into the next season without adequate B10 support at PG. Same as Fran? Lick went into the next season not having been able to fill his scholarships. Same as Fran?

If you look at this list, the question marks will be where the answers come as to whether or not Fran will succeed at Iowa. If he can answer those questions in the negative, he will be fine.

You seem too ready to pounce on the Fran = Lick meme.
We agreed that losing Cully is not a ''huge blow''.
We evidently have offered Washpun.
You have agreed that Washpun offers athleticism that Cully does not.
That is all that has happened since the weekend,so why not let it play out before going anal on drawing the comparisons?
You will have all summer to pick it apart,and I am sure you will,which is fine. Too much uncertainty right now to try to draw firm conclusions,right?

If things do not work out,you are on the record as having been first on board the wolves at the door exrpress...I know you will not be happy to have been so prescient,like all hawk fans, so not accusing you of being disloyal,but hoping that all your research is wrong this one time:D

Latest posts