Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

That article seems surprisingly upbeat about that rotation. Myself, I see a lot of question marks. If some of those guys bounce back, they could be ok. Otherwise, it could be a little rough. Guess I'm not sure what to expect out of that group, but I am keeping my expectations low for 2012.
Yes, tis the season of optimism in Cub Land. :)

I guess I focused on this part:

The projected five starters were a combined 37-55 in 2011. None of this group won more than 10 games and only Garza and Maholm had earned-run averages under 4.80.

Oh, and this part:

The other candidates for the rotation include Randy Wells, Jeff Samardzija, Casey Coleman and Rodrigo Lopez.

I think I am appropriately scared. :D

That article seems surprisingly upbeat about that rotation. Myself, I see a lot of question marks. If some of those guys bounce back, they could be ok. Otherwise, it could be a little rough. Guess I'm not sure what to expect out of that group, but I am keeping my expectations low for 2012.

It's an ok starting rotation if everyone stays healthy which never happens but Wells is a better 6th man than anyone they had last year. As long as Casey Coleman and Rodrigo Lopez names are never listed on the starting lineup, the Cubs should be much improved in that area from 2010.

The projected five starters were a combined 37-55 in 2011. None of this group won more than 10 games and only Garza and Maholm had earned-run averages under 4.80.

Oh, and this part:

The other candidates for the rotation include Randy Wells, Jeff Samardzija, Casey Coleman and Rodrigo Lopez.

You're not seeing the bright spot. Wells was the Cubs #4 starter last year. Cashner, who had one start before getting hurt was the #5. They no longer have the Zambrano headache.

This rotation isn't going to remind anyone of the Prior/Wood/Z/Clement days but it is a big step up from last year. To be fair, I think it says more about how awful they were last year than how good they're going to be this year.

Wow, they were talking 60 million now 36. I think everyone was a bit gun shy. And is he really 26 kind of deal. Hmmm. I don't think Ozzie was too high on him when he called the deal a gamble.

I am your typical homer Cub fan. Generally this time of year I get optimistic about the Cubs chances, excited about some dumb FA signing, roster, rotation, lineup, and find ways to vision the Cubs winning the division. But this year I've got nothing, the only off season excitement the Cubs have brought to me was hiring a Vice President. There is a chance the Cubs could lose 100 games this year. My only hope is with the Cubs punting this season away it will leave them with more money to spend when they only need a couple of pieces to make that WS run.

Oh, and this part:

Yes, Cub fans can often be optimistic before the season starts. :D I'm with you on being appropriately scared.. I guess like Clark said, if everyone can stay healthy, I suppose the staff could be solid, but we'd better hope for some guys to improve from a year ago.. And Wells could definitely step into that rotation if needed.

Yes, Cub fans can often be optimistic before the season starts. :D I'm with you on being appropriately scared.. I guess like Clark said, if everyone can stay healthy, I suppose the staff could be solid, but we'd better hope for some guys to improve from a year ago.. And Wells could definitely step into that rotation if needed.
Agreed, health will be the key. Also, accountability. I like this from Hoyer on Marmol ...

Hoyer: Marmol's 2011 unacceptable - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

I am your typical homer Cub fan. Generally this time of year I get optimistic about the Cubs chances, excited about some dumb FA signing, roster, rotation, lineup, and find ways to vision the Cubs winning the division. But this year I've got nothing, the only off season excitement the Cubs have brought to me was hiring a Vice President. There is a chance the Cubs could lose 100 games this year. My only hope is with the Cubs punting this season away it will leave them with more money to spend when they only need a couple of pieces to make that WS run.

youd think that you be excited about some of the stuff they HAVENT done this offseason.

youd think that you be excited about some of the stuff they HAVENT done this offseason.

I am, I think they dodged a bullet not going after Pujols and/or Fielder. But the moves they did not make does not help me look at this upcoming season with any more optimism. But beyond 2012 I think the future looks bright. The minor league system is starting to look promising again and I think it will keep getting better. That will help the Cubs not only become a winner but a consistent winner.

Couple of random thoughts.

1. I hope fans temper expectations on Brett Jackson. If he doesn't break camp with the Cubs, it may be for the best. He still needs some time at AAA, IMO. He's got a great glove, but he does strike out alot. Some additional seasoning in DM will not hurt him.

2. Matt Sczcur will be better than Jackson, IMO.

3. Geo will be on another squad by the trade deadline. Castillo and Clevenger will platoon there by the end of the year.

4. The Cubs will float Garza until the trade deadline. If they don't get exactly what they want in return, I believe they will announce an extension by the end of the season.

I'm excited for baseball to begin b/c I am a huge baseball fan. That being said, I am taking the Cubs for what they are. They are in a rebuilding year but have assembled key pieces for long term success. I will be giddy if they finish 3rd in the division.

Couple of random thoughts.

1. I hope fans temper expectations on Brett Jackson. If he doesn't break camp with the Cubs, it may be for the best. He still needs some time at AAA, IMO. He's got a great glove, but he does strike out alot. Some additional seasoning in DM will not hurt him.

2. Matt Sczcur will be better than Jackson, IMO.

3. Geo will be on another squad by the trade deadline. Castillo and Clevenger will platoon there by the end of the year.

4. The Cubs will float Garza until the trade deadline. If they don't get exactly what they want in return, I believe they will announce an extension by the end of the season.

I'm excited for baseball to begin b/c I am a huge baseball fan. That being said, I am taking the Cubs for what they are. They are in a rebuilding year but have assembled key pieces for long term success. I will be giddy if they finish 3rd in the division.

I agree mostly.

1. Jackson will be in Iowa, they don't want to rush him and Byrd is still in center. I think Byrd might get traded by the deadline if he's doing well and can bring something back, next year we see jackson.

2. I don't know, but I hope you're right

3. I think he needs to ahve a good year first. Cubs won't give him a way for nothing, and Clevenger needs as much time as he can get in the minors.

4. YEP

I agree mostly.

1. Jackson will be in Iowa, they don't want to rush him and Byrd is still in center. I think Byrd might get traded by the deadline if he's doing well and can bring something back, next year we see jackson.

2. I don't know, but I hope you're right

3. I think he needs to ahve a good year first. Cubs won't give him a way for nothing, and Clevenger needs as much time as he can get in the minors.

4. YEP

Regarding Geo, I think the Cubs can afford to be somewhat flexible in the return here. It'd be all the more better he have a decent first half, but with Castillo and Clevenger the Cubs have depth.

That is more of a gut feeling though. I don't think Geo will be on the team come 8/1. Nor do I believe Byrd will be. If Marmol has a good first half, I fully expect him to be shopped.

I expect marmol to be gone as well, but if he's blowing saves consistently there will be very few buyers. If Geo is hitting .225 again there may not be many buyers, but .260 or better there will be. It is very dependent.

Clevenger has already been in the minors for 5 years, how much more time does he need? Castillo is very good defensively and last year came on with the bat. Since next season is a building year let's see what Castillo/Clevenger has got and get something out of Soto while he still has decent value.

Clevenger has already been in the minors for 5 years, how much more time does he need? Castillo is very good defensively and last year came on with the bat. Since next season is a building year let's see what Castillo/Clevenger has got and get something out of Soto while he still has decent value.

he switched positions. Has only been catching a few years. He needs more time to develop those skills an dinsticts. I'm not saying that he shouldn't platoon with castillo if soto gets moved, but i don't think more reps at Iowa would hurt the kid.

In a perfect world, Castillo plays the "Koyie Hill" part to Geo for the first half while Clevenger gets all the reps in Iowa. Clevenger comes up when / if Geo is dealt.

Latest posts