Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

It's going to be a long year........ we have a baaaaaaad team

Rebuilding is always tough, but I think this team will be more fun to watch than last year's team. Some of the bad attitudes are gone, and there is a feeling of hope within the fan base. As much as I wanted Quade to succeed, it's best that he is gone, and the team can start fresh. I'm sure there will be some frustrating stretches with this team, but I also hope we will get a glimpse of what I think is a bright future for the Cubs.

people are holding out hope for vitters because he was a 1st round pick. unfortunately, much like colvin he shouldnt have been a 1st round pick.

02-17-2012 03:38 PMihawkeye
Hard to find a reason to care anymore. They don't.

The Cubs haven't won a WS since 1908, and NOW you are frustrated? I'm in my mid 30s and remember plenty of seasons when it seemed the front office/ownership didn't seem to care. Trust me when I say that the Cubs organization does care and they are building for long term success.

So the Cubs get one of the greatest young executives in pro sports (Theo, if you are an idiot) and a PTBNL for an oft-injured reliever with control issues (Carpenter) and a PTBNL.

Yeah, this isn't bad folks.

So the Cubs get one of the greatest young executives in pro sports (Theo, if you are an idiot) and a PTBNL for an oft-injured reliever with control issues (Carpenter) and a PTBNL.

Yeah, this isn't bad folks.

I definitely think the Cubs got the better end of the deal but pretty much the only other example of a team receiving compensation for losing an exec that I have heard of is when Andy MacPhail changed teams. (Cant remember what move of his brought compensation for his former team). Wasnt the compensation in his case a lower level prospect and cash?

According to MLB.com, Carpenter is the 5th best prospect in the Cubs system.

Last edited:
I definitely think the Cubs got the better end of the deal but pretty much the only other example of a team receiving compensation for losing an exec that I have heard of is when Andy MacPhail changed teams. (Cant remember what move of his brought compensation for his former team). Wasnt the compensation in his case a lower level prospect and cash?

According to MLB.com, Carpenter is the 5th best prospect in the Cubs system.

Baseball America is a better source re: prospect rankings.

They had him at either 11 or 13.

So the Cubs sent one of their top pitching prospects, why is Boston still owed 2 players to be named later? IMO even giving up Carpenter is a bit much to give up for someone that got a promotion.

The 2 players to be later annoys me too. But if we win a World Series in the next 5 years, I think I'll be able to forgive the Red Sox for being so unreasonable.

Jesus people, Carpenter is a setup man with a live arm who has battled injury and control issues in the past. This is a great deal for Chicago. And for the record, the Cubs don't owe Boston 2 more guys. It is a 2 for 2 deal. The P'sTBNL are going to each team.

For those of you worried the Cubs gave up to much, answer me this: Which guy, Theo or Carpenter, will have a greater impact on cubs success in the future? Remember, if you consider Carpenter you must do so with the caveat that Theo is still in Beantown.

Again, this is a great trade for Chicago.

Jesus people, Carpenter is a setup man with a live arm who has battled injury and control issues in the past. This is a great deal for Chicago. And for the record, the Cubs don't owe Boston 2 more guys. It is a 2 for 2 deal. The P'sTBNL are going to each team.

For those of you worried the Cubs gave up to much, answer me this: Which guy, Theo or Carpenter, will have a greater impact on cubs success in the future? Remember, if you consider Carpenter you must do so with the caveat that Theo is still in Beantown.

Again, this is a great trade for Chicago.

I am fine with Carpenter being the one sent to Boston, I think giving up one of the top pitching prospects is a bit high but in the end the Cubs got the better deal. I had more issues with the 2 p2bnl that TheScore was reporting yesterday that the Cubs still had to give them and you have cleared that up.

One good thing that may come out of Carpenter being dealt is now the Cubs may have room to keep Lendy Castillo on the 25 man roster. Lendy was a rule 5 selection and the Cubs have to keep him on the roster in order to keep him.

One good thing that may come out of Carpenter being dealt is now the Cubs may have room to keep Lendy Castillo on the 25 man roster. Lendy was a rule 5 selection and the Cubs have to keep him on the roster in order to keep him.

While this is true, they can also work out a trade with the team they claimed him from if they want to keep him and send him to AAA for more seasoning.

Latest posts