Couple of nagging questions?

Moral of the story. If you want to finish higher in your conference standings, and perform better in the BTT, and improve your tournament seeding so you're not getting throttled by the eventual champ in the second round, win your close games. Improving that record to 38-33, which is reasonable, would have added an average of two wins per season. I'd like to know what Bo Ryan's record was in those games over the years.

The KenPom category "luck" shows that out of 351 Division 1 teams, Iowa finished 347th in 2014, 327th in 2016, and 341st this past year. They were close to the median the other two years. Figure out the aggregate over the five year period and there's a good chance Iowa has finished dead last in Division 1.

Why is this important? Close games are factored into KenPom's luck component. This dovetails with the 22-49. Officiating has probably factored in some, but a lot. They just don't execute consistently enough in pressure situations. There is no way all that "bad luck" could be attributed solely to random chance. Nobody is that unlucky.

The game that will always stick out in my mind is the Wisconsin SAFO game in 2014. Ogelsby put Iowa up with about 55 seconds left and needed one stop. Everyone in the building knew it was going inside to Kaminsky and he converted. Fran called TO and drew up a play and Bo may as well been in Fran's huddle. When Marble drove to the rim, three Badgers were waiting. Iowa had open peremeter shooters fanned out but Wisconsin largely ignored them. They knew where the bread was buttered. Marble got stripped, foul committed, Badgers convert at line, McCabe airballs three point attempt, ball game.

BTW my Badger friends over here don't think much more of Fran than many hawk fans. Of course they witnessed first hand how petulant he can act when he boils over.
I don't follow KenPom. I also don't believe you can quantify "luck".
Coaches that stress perfection of details get "luck" more often than not.

Those are hallmarks of a good, detail oriented coach. Fran is not a detail oriented coach.
No argument here. Doesn't necessarily mean he's bad, just not detail oriented.

Maybe that's what he does in practice. He defers to the players too often. Then they look to him in the games and it's deer, meet headlights.

I don't follow KenPom. I also don't believe you can quantify "luck".
Coaches that stress perfection of details get "luck" more often than not.
Yes and thats why I've made it more than clear. There's more than luck going on here. Wisconsin didn't steal the 2014 SAFO game by luck. Iowa luck numbers on KenPom defy logic.

Gotta be careful here. If I don't agree with you 100% you might take your ball and go home:). Seriously, the reason I enjoy talking to you on these boards and occasionally respectfully disagreeing with you is because both of us know our shit. You from an X and O standpoint, me more on historical issues. From that first day we talked about 1980's Iowa hoops and Acie Earl's off the court adventures.

Last edited:
I will still stick by what I am saying.... However, the defensive efficiency numbers will point out that Iowa was better on the defensive end 2 years ago than they were this year. I don’t even pay attention to the points allowed stat that means nothing to me.

You are correct, and remember the conference was "down" this year too. So if the teams and players we are facing aren't as good then our defense was extremely bad this year.

Here you still are, insisting it's an "offense problem". You don't know what you are talking about. That's why I put you on ignore. Back you go.
Should I stay or should I go now?

Just FYI — you’re kinda defeating the purpose of the ignore feature.

Yes and thats why I've made it more than clear. There's more than luck going on here. Wisconsin didn't steal the 2014 SAFO game by luck. Iowa luck numbers on KenPom defy logic.

Gotta be careful here. If I don't agree with you 100% you might take your ball and go home:). Seriously, the reason I enjoy talking to you on these boards and occasionally respectfully disagreeing with you is because both of us know our shit. You from an X and O standpoint, me more on historical issues. From that first day we talked about 1980's Iowa hoops and Acie Earl's off the court adventures.
You've never said anything to me to even make me consider putting you on ignore. There is history with some of these other posters, however. It probably goes back to the Lickliter days.

You've never said anything to me to even make me consider putting you on ignore. There is history with some of these other posters, however. It probably goes back to the Lickliter days.
I wish I could have put Todd's 2010 season on ignore. That was the year he was supposed to have something going. But when he lost Kelly and Peterson and Jermain Davis and Anthony Tucker had issues and he had no point guard, no size, no athleticism and no chance to recoup his losses on the recruiting trail he had no chance.

Obvious sarcasm with my ignore comment and I know you caught that.. People don't have to agree with everything I post and I'm not going to agree with everything they post. I know how some people on these boards can be, however. I followed this forum long before I started posting on it.

Besides, I have the trump card that will piss off any poster under the age of thirty who messes with me too much. I had a front row seat for the early Davis teams. And the Long/Harmon teams. And Gable and Stringer's teams. Lifetime memories never to be taken away. Hopefully new memories can be created for younger fans. It starts with competency in the AD chair. Not sure if we will have that anytime soon.